ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is changing roles with same employer during spouse visa allowed?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

geoeng
Canada

Re: Employer's letter and document submission

Post by geoeng » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:47 pm

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:35 pm
Sorry to be a pain in the mule but regarding (iii), do they need to confirm how long I've been earning my basic salary of 14k or the 6 payslips I am relying on to meet the financial requirement?
I believe just the basic salary as that would be the direct interpretation of the wording of the immigration rules. The way you have addressed total earnings in the previous 6 months should be sufficient to address overtime, so what you have there should be fine I think.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:49 pm

geoeng wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:47 pm
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:35 pm
Sorry to be a pain in the mule but regarding (iii), do they need to confirm how long I've been earning my basic salary of 14k or the 6 payslips I am relying on to meet the financial requirement?
I believe just the basic salary as that would be the direct interpretation of the wording of the immigration rules. The way you have addressed total earnings in the previous 6 months should be sufficient to address overtime, so what you have there should be fine I think.
Ah ok thank you very much. I appreciate your help immensely.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 pm

In relation to the bank statements..

I am with Santander. When I go online banking and select 'September 2019' for my transactions and in/outgoings, the statement brings up 29th August 2019 to 28th Sep 2019. Obviously, this will show my August pay slip (although I am not relying on this one) being deposited rather than my September pay slip (as my August payslip was deposited 31st August and my September was deposited on 30th September)

In order for it to show my September deposit, I need to select 'October 2019' for my transactions and in/outgoings as this will show my transactions from 30th September 2019 to 28th October 2019. Will this be a problem? I ask because for my September pay slip, am I right in assuming the entire month's worth of September bank statement has to be provided? And not just the last few days of my September bank statement which shows my wages being deposited?

If this is the case, wouldn't I end up with 7 bank statements and 6 pay slips?

I can actually use online banking to specify what dates I need to be shown, so I can select 1st September 2019 to 30th September 2019 although this appears as on the statement:

Transactions
Transaction date: 01/09/2019 to 30/09/2019
Account number: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Doesn't include my name/account/sort code etc.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:24 pm

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 pm
The requirement is not to provide 6 months worth of bank statements (or any other specific number). The requirement is to provide "personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly." So you need to provide however many bank statements it takes to cover the same period as your payslips.

Electronic banks statements need to either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page. This would generally be applicable if what you have is simply a list of transactions rather than a formal bank statement (which are often issued on specific dates noted on the statement).
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:29 pm

geoeng wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:24 pm
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 pm
The requirement is not to provide 6 months worth of bank statements (or any other specific number). The requirement is to provide "personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly." So you need to provide however many bank statements it takes to cover the same period as your payslips.

Electronic banks statements need to either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page. This would generally be applicable if what you have is simply a list of transactions rather than a formal bank statement (which are often issued on specific dates noted on the statement).
You are amazing. Thank you so much. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate your advice. I am sure I shall be back asking more questions but for now I will have to get these pay slips, bank statements and employer's letter sorted before anything else.

Thank you. <3

EDIT: Does my employer's letter specifically have to say how much I will earn in overtime in the future. If my base pay is 1,116, does my employer need to state that I will be able to earn at least 434 in overtime each month in the future to earn at least 1,1550? Or can they just state that the current overtime schedule will be in place indefinitely?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:38 pm

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:29 pm

EDIT: Does my employer's letter specifically have to say how much I will earn in overtime in the future. If my base pay is 1,116, does my employer need to state that I will be able to earn at least 434 in overtime each month in the future to earn at least 1,1550? Or can they just state that the current overtime schedule will be in place indefinitely?
Future overtime won't be considered. Your employer simply need to state your base salary and the total or average of the last 6 months overtime. And if your employer can't determine your part time wages correctly then just ask him to give the total or average of last 6 months wages including overtime to make none-salaried calculations easier.
Regarding online bank statements, if they aren't marked pacifically as online then you don't need to stamp or any letter of their authenticity rather can upload these straight.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 am

seagul wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:38 pm
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Future overtime won't be considered. Your employer simply need to state your base salary and the total or average of the last 6 months overtime. And if your employer can't determine your part time wages correctly then just ask him to give the total or average of last 6 months wages including overtime to make none-salaried calculations easier.
Regarding online bank statements, if they aren't marked pacifically as online then you don't need to stamp or any letter of their authenticity rather can upload these straight.
I know they can't use future overtime to work out my annual salary, but somebody stated on another forum.. "HOWEVER, overtime can only count towards PREVIOUS income and cannot count towards your future income, which must be at least £18,600 each year.

So unless your employer can guarantee in writing that you will earn at least £383.33 in overtime every single month in the future (making each payslip at least £1550), only your salary of £14,000 can be considered for the visa.

Which means that unless you can prove you will earn at least £18,600 between March 2020 and March 2021, and between March 2021 and March 2022, and so on, you will not qualify for the visa
."

So I need my employer to confirm there'll be overtime in future? Which there may not be. I can get my employer to state 'X's annual salary is 14,000 and due to the overtime from September 2019 to February 2020 X's pay total for this period is 9,600.

I do or do not need to mention future overtime? Do they consider this when assessing visa applications? If this is true then overtime can only be considered if it's guaranteed in the future which needs to be in a letter? Would saying 'overtime is likely to be continuing in the future' be sufficient? My employer says it's likely but they stated they won't say it's guaranteed.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 am

This is turning into a nightmare. I thought because my salary is 14k per year I could just do overtime for 6 months to meet at least 1,550 per month and then provide the 6 pay slips and bank statements, along with an employer's letter that it would be sufficient.

I wasn't aware it also has to be in writing that the overtime will continue in the future at the level it has been. Somebody else told me a few months ago that because overtime has been happening for 6 months and that's how I am meeting the financial threshold, then it's assumed it will continue into the future and no letter from employer referencing overtime is needed. And my employer stated they could maybe say it's likely to continue although they will not say it is guaranteed at this level of salary :(

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am

You've been advised repeatedly to disregard future overtime earnings. If you're being advised differently elsewhere or by someone else, you would need to make a decision at some stage, won't you?
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 am

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 am
I do or do not need to mention future overtime? Do they consider this when assessing visa applications?
You do not need to mention it because as you have identified, future earnings that a person may earn by way of overtime will not count as income towards the financial requirement, so it would not be considered.
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 am
I thought because my salary is 14k per year I could just do overtime for 6 months to meet at least 1,550 per month and then provide the 6 pay slips and bank statements, along with an employer's letter that it would be sufficient.
It is.
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
I wasn't aware it also has to be in writing that the overtime will continue in the future at the level it has been.
There is nothing in the immigration rules/guidance that says this that I am aware of.
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Somebody else told me a few months ago that because overtime has been happening for 6 months and that's how I am meeting the financial threshold, then it's assumed it will continue into the future and no letter from employer referencing overtime is needed.
Correct.

Realistically, even if you were in salaried employment of £50,000/year at the same company for 20 years and use this income to sponsor a spouse visa, there is no guarantee that you would continue to receive that income, or any income, for the next 2.5 years the visa would be valid for. The financial requirement is not based on what you will earn, it is based on what you currently earn and what you have earned (except in limited circumstances and usually then in combination with historic earnings).

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Ok, that clears it up. Thank you all. And finally, before I get my employer's letter.. they have been quite difficult in doing so, and so I thought I would give them a template. This is what I have come up with - do you guys think it is sufficient?

-

As I earn 14k per year. Overtime past 6 months has let me earn at least 1,550.
--

To the Entry Clearance Officer,

X is employed by XX as a XXX as permanent staff. His gross annual salary is 11200 as well as receiving a night premium of 2800 per year, making his gross annual salary 14000 . He has been employed since May 2019. He has received a total income of 9,600 from September 2019 to February 2020 due to overtime, which is reflected on his payslips. This overtime is expected to continue at the same rate of pay.

Please contact myself on XXX if you require any further information.

Kind regards,
XX

--

Should I mention 'he has received a total income of 9600' from Sep 19 to Feb 20, letting the ECO work out my average overtime income, or should I have them instead say... "He has received from overtime between September 2019 to February 2020 an average amount of 680.53"

If so, would that meet the four points required, most notably part (iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application?

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:38 pm

Would saying my annual salary is 14k affect the applicant, so long as the 6 payslips I submit show earnings of at least 1550? And should they say I've earned 9600 in total over the past 6 months or just leave that part?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:53 pm

geoeng wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 am

Realistically, even if you were in salaried employment of £50,000/year at the same company for 20 years and use this income to sponsor a spouse visa, there is no guarantee that you would continue to receive that income, or any income,
Through income protection insurance policy it is possible.
geoeng wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 am
The financial requirement is not based on what you will earn,
Future income can be considered where a salaried person applying through category B or UK sponsor returning UK after working overseas with Job offer going to start in 3 months.

**All said above doesn't apply in op's case**
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 am

If I asked HR to draft an employer's letter like above, would it suffice? I'm just unsure if outright stating my 14k annual salary would affect the application and if they need to say something like "X has earned 9600 in the past 6 months from Sep 19 to Feb 20". I mean, don't my payslips reflect that? Just worried if it gets refused on this basis.

My thinking is that saying 14k annual salary should be fine as my payslips are above the required amount of 1550. It's just iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application; that is the issue. Since I am relying on earning at least 18600 for the application, maybe the letter needs to state how much I have earned in total from September 2019 to February 2020. The ECO can then do 14000/12 to figure out my base pay and then calculate my annualized overtime from that.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:52 am

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm
--

X is employed by XX as a XXX as permanent staff. His gross annual salary is 11200 as well as receiving a night premium of 2800 per year, making his gross annual salary 14000 . He has been employed since May 2019. He has received a total income of 9,600 from September 2019 to February 2020 due to overtime, which is reflected on his payslips. This overtime is expected to continue at the same rate of pay.

Kind regards,
XX

--
This one is totally fine. On a separate covering letter You can make your calculations as how you are meeting the financial requirement. Don't over think or overstress as you seems like easily be able to meet the requirement. And as stated previously that if you are having difficulty to approach HR then any competent person including your line manager can even prepare this letter for you.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:52 am
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
--

Kind regards,
XX

--
This one is totally fine. On a separate covering letter You can make your calculations as how you are meeting the financial requirement. Don't over think or overstress as you seems like easily be able to meet the requirement. And as stated previously that if you are having difficulty to approach HR then any competent person including your line manager can even prepare this letter for you.
It's fine? That's awesome. Even the part which states I've earned 9600 between Sep 19 and Feb 20? I'm guessing that is the important part as it satisfies "iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application;", right?

To work out my average annualised overtime income, I have done the following calculations. I would be more than grateful if somebody could check it over to see if I've made a mistake.

I earn 14k per year salary. 14000/12 = 1166 (base pay)

Sep 19: 1641.13 (1641.13 - 1166 = 475.13 earned through overtime)
Oct 19: 2317.76 (2317.76 - 1166 = 1151.76 earned through overtime)
Nov 19: 1879.19 (1879.19 - 1166 = 713.19 earned through overtime)
Dec 19: 1870.69 (1870.69 - 1166 = 704.69 earned through overtime)
Jan 20: 1820.41 (1820.41 - 1166 = 654.41 earned through overtime)
Feb 20: 1550.00 (1550 - 1166 = 384 earned through overtime)

Average overtime is: 475.13 + 1151.76 + 713.19 + 704.69 + 654.41 + 384 = 4083.18/6 * 12 = 8166.36.

Average overtime annually: 8166.36

They then will do 1166*12 = 13992. Then 13992 + 8166.36 = 22158.36 annually salary.

Still waiting on Feb 20 payslip so I'll substitute this number with whatever I receive, which will be above 1550 of course.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 pm

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 pm
seagul wrote:
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
--

Kind regards,
XX

--
It's fine? That's awesome. Even the part which states I've earned 9600 between Sep 19 and Feb 20? I'm guessing that is the important part as it satisfies "iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application;", right?

To work out my average annualised overtime income, I have done the following calculations. I would be more than grateful if somebody could check it over to see if I've made a mistake.

Average overtime is: 475.13 + 1151.76 + 713.19 + 704.69 + 654.41 + 384 = 4083.18/6 * 12 = 8166.36.

They then will do 1166*12 = 13992. Then 13992 + 8166.36 = 22158.36 annually salary.

Still waiting on Feb 20 payslip so I'll substitute this number with whatever I receive, which will be above 1550 of course.
Correct calculation assuming the base salary never fallen than £1166 otherwise the lowest figure will be multiplied by 12. Overtime calculations are 100% correct.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 pm
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 pm
seagul wrote:
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
--

Kind regards,
XX

--

Correct calculation assuming the base salary never fallen than £1166 otherwise the lowest figure will be multiplied by 12. Overtime calculations are 100% correct.
Very nice. Just to summarize absolutely everything we've discussed in the topic before I print off all the documents..

My salary of 14k (obviously below the threshold) can still allow me to qualify as a sponsor as since Sep 2019 to Feb 20 payslips have been 1550 or over due to overtime. An employer's letter (just like the above one) confirming my TOTAL pay between Sep 2019 and Feb 2020 will suffice, even with a salary below the threshold along with 6 payslips showing 1550+ along with corresponding bank statements. And it definitely doesn't need to confirm future overtime will continue as it's based on previous 6 months earnings, and not future earnings?

My base monthly wage is not specified anywhere but I am guessing since my employer's letter mentions my annual salary, ECO will just do 14000/12 to work out my base monthly pay and use this figure to work out how much I've earned from overtime, then they will annualize it just like I have done so myself. And it's also a good idea to attach a separate letter showing these calculations for ECO's benefit?

<3 Thank you

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 am

We will also be applying in mid-March. Does the six month payslips need to be exactly six months before application date? My payslips state "pay period MONTH XX - XX" e.g September's payslip says "pay period September 01 to 30"

September 2019 payslip states pay period 1 - 30
October 2019 payslip states pay period 1 - 31
November 2019 payslip states pay period 1 - 30
December 2019 payslip states pay period 1 - 31
January 2019 payslip states pay period 1 - 31
February 2019 payslip will state pay period 1 - 29

So of course in mid-March it'll be six months right? Just don't want to get refused over something so small but I am probably overthinking this.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 am

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 am
I guess you are saying 2020 instead 2019, if so then pay period and its payslips are fine.

From and including: Sunday, 1 September 2019
To and including: Saturday, 29 February 2020

Result: 182 days
It is 182 days from the start date to the end date, end date included.

Or 6 months including the end date.
https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durati ... 2020&ti=on

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:35 am

seagul wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 am
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 am
I guess you are saying 2020 instead 2019, if so then pay period and its payslips are fine.

From and including: Sunday, 1 September 2019
To and including: Saturday, 29 February 2020

Result: 182 days
It is 182 days from the start date to the end date, end date included.

Or 6 months including the end date.
https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durati ... 2020&ti=on
Yes, sorry. I meant 2020. Appreciate all your help. Thanks a lot! Could you also take a look at the brief summary I wrote and just let me know if anything needs changing or of it looks fine from your perspective?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Over thinking in visa matters sometime is very helpful but equally is harmful as well because of getting confused all the times. You now are better prepared so just apply as your calculations and employer letter template is fine (same as said before).

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:18 am

seagul wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Over thinking in visa matters sometime is very helpful but equally is harmful as well because of getting confused all the times. You now are better prepared so just apply as your calculations and employer letter template is fine (same as said before).
May your days be happy, friend. Thanks. I'll probably ask some more questions in the future but you'll definitely find out what the result is from our visa application. Fingers crossed!

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:28 am

Could I also ask - in regards to USA national, is there a selection box that we tick to make the application form aware she doesn't need the English language test?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:28 am
Could I also ask - in regards to USA national, is there a selection box that we tick to make the application form aware she doesn't need the English language test?
Yes. Also the copy of applicant's passport will confirm same.