ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use my old IELTS for ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

HBBB
Iran

Can I use my old IELTS for ILR?

Post by HBBB » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi All

Can I used an academic IELTS results taken in Dec 2014 to apply for ILR?

I used that certificate for my first Tier 2 and I didn't need it for renewal. The test centre is still on the approved list of UKVI but the test type is not obviously. There was no IELTS for UKVI at the time but I have submitted that to UKVI in Jan 2015 for my first T2(G) which was granted.

Kind Regards

zimba
Mood:

Re: Can I use my old IELTS for ILR?

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

HBBB
Iran

Post by HBBB » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Many Thanks.

My problem is on gov website it says both below conditions must be true:

1-it’s on the current list of recognised tests
2-it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter.

my problem is that it says recognised "tests" not test centres. My certificate is from a "recognised test centre" but it is a normal academic IELTS which is not on the list anymore. "Academic IELTS for UKVI" is on the list now. However the second condition is true because I have used it for a UKVI application before.

Would you let me know what you think?

Cheers

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 pm

IELTS is still accepted as a recognised test :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

HBBB
Iran

Post by HBBB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks

confusing part is they call it "IELTS for UKVI" on the list. They don't have normal "IELTS" on the list anymore. Otherwise people could book a normal IELTS rather than more expensive "ILETS for UKVI".

I have contacted UKVI and they asked me to write to homeoffice but I cannot find anything on gov.co.uk about writing to homeoffice about immigration inquiries.

Kind Regards,
Hamed

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:24 pm

IELTS has always been accepted. This is simply a provision for old IELTS test taken before 2015 :!:
The difference is that for any IELTS test since 2015, you need the secure version of IELTS (aka SELT)

I would like to point out that the people who were granted Tier 2 in a previous application technically are given 10 points for English language so they do not need to prove it at ILR stage at all :!:

Exemptions from the language requirements or no requirement in https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf

HBBB
Iran

Post by HBBB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Yes when I renewed my Tier 2(general) they didn't ask for English Test. However, this time I am going to apply for ILR. Your attachment was about working visas.

in below page it says:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

to apply for citizenship: It does not matter if the B1 level test you took is not on the current list of recognised tests. You do not need to take another test.

to apply to settle in UK: You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
1-it’s on the current list of recognised tests
2-it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter

They could have say the same thing for settle but they didn't.

I cannot see "IELTS" on attached list:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _tests.pdf

I understand IELTS and IELTS for UKVI are effectively the same thing but when you want to book them they are not.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

The English requirement level for ILR/Citizenship is lower than the English requirement for Tier 2 visa. The document I posted applies to ILR too :!: :!: Immigration rules are clear that a person with Tier 2 visa is effectively exempt from proving his/her English language for a new application.
If IELTS is taken before 2015, it is simply IELTS and so it is recognised. The fact that this changed after 2015 for is not relevant to you.
You are unnecessarily being pedantic as thousands of people have applied and got ILR without any issues here.

HBBB
Iran

Post by HBBB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:02 pm

This is great. It was time and cost which I was worry about if they don't accept it.
Thank you very much for the help. :D