ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

amsin123
Newly Registered
India

OCI application process

Post by amsin123 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi all,
First of all, apologies if this has already been posted.
But can I confirm the documents required and the process for OCI card
Documents required -
Surrender certificate - original and copy
UK pass port - copy
Naturalisation certificate - copy
Application form, photo and declaration
How many self-addressed envelopes do I need to provide?

Do they need my British passport original during the applicaiton?

Timescales - is it right that the OCI will be posted to my home address within 6 weeks?

I am travelling to India in 6 weeks. There isnt an OCI appoiintment until 1st week of March. Is it ok for me to apply for a tourist visa while OCI is in progress as I may not get it in time for my travel?

Thanks

jojo001

Re: OCI application process

Post by jojo001 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 am

As per new process you need originals of everything including british passport along with a self attests photocopy.

The keep originals and will send it back to you in a week.

The OCI comes around 3 to 4 weeks after that.

You need 2 envelopes ( one for returning originals and one for OCI)

But if you are applying in birmingham jurisdiction then they will make you pay for 2 courier envelops at the time of application

My suggestion for you is to apply for an evisa which can be processed within a few days and you only need to send scanned copies of documents.

Do it now as then you do not have to then wait for the OCI to come and then get stressed .

A 5 year multiple entry evisa to India is only $80 ( 80 USD) .

In fact if you dont need to do any financial deals etc while visiting Indiaa and if it's a short trip you can go on an evisa and then come back and apply for oci.

Just make sure that someone is at home when oci arrives if you decide to apply and go for a long trip to india .

Make sure that you apply for evisa on the real site at

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

And be careful as there are many scam sites

amsin123
Newly Registered
India

Post by amsin123 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:40 am

Thank you very much for the detailed response!

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:51 am

In addition to the documents you posted there were additional documents asked

This is the list which my wife was given for her oci application ( original + self attested photocopy)

1. Uk passport
2.naturalisation certificate
3. Surrender certificate
4. Cancelled indian passport (photocopy of front and back)
5 marriage certificate
6. Spouses passport ( I.e my passport )
7.letter from employer /ID contract etc

The list seemed nonsense but as with anything to do with indian paperwork we took everything they wanted along with self attested photocopy

My wife is not working and so we we put her occupation as housewife in application as so did not need any letter from employer etc.

I went along with my wife and they had a look at the original and self attested photocopy of my passport and gave my passport back to me there itself

All other documents including her brit passport were kept by them and we got them a week later and the OCI came around 3 to 4 weeks later.

I cannot see the reason for requirement of my passport and marriage certificate as my wife is an ex indian citizen but as I said just give what they ask .

In the online application form there may not be enough spaces to upload scanned documents from the above list. So once you upload the major ones like British passport etc into the corresponding sections online, you just upload the other ones wherever you can in the online lists.

amsin123
Newly Registered
India

Post by amsin123 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks for the response.
Looks like they need lots of documents (some irrelevant)
I think I will apply for a tourist visa to be safe as my travel is in the end of March, and come back and apply for OCI.