ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT!!! Please read

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

URGENT!!! Please read

Post by alexjames2320 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello Guys, I have a serious problem with my Mother in Germany, she went to live and work in Germany 5months ago, my mother has an Albanian Passport and she is living with my brother who has a EU- Greek passport my brother is 9 years old, my mother also has a Valid EU Family member Residence card Issued in Greece which is for 5 Years valid. She started working after a month and now they asked her for an Appointment in the local immigration office and the immigration workers there said to her that she has no right to live and work in Germany because she has an Albanian passport. Please if you have any information regarding this it will help a lot, they gave her a week's notice to book a ticket and return back to Albania which I believe is wrong as she is a family member of EU citizens. I am very anxious as she needs to find a solution until the 13th of February.

secret.simon

Re: URGENT!!! Please read

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:35 pm

alexjames2320 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:04 pm
my brother is 9 years old
Only dependent parents of EEA citizens have an automatic right to move with them around the EU. As your brother is only 9 years old, it is unlikely that your mother is dependent on him. Also, she is working, reducing the claim of dependency.

Your mother needs to apply for a Chen derivative right of residence with the German authorities, which does not lead to an automatic right to permanent residence.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by alexjames2320 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:38 pm

so that means she doesn't have the right to live in Germany? my brother is studying there he is going to school and they are saying to her now that she overstayed her Visa and that she needs to pay a fine.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:06 pm

She does not have an automatic right to reside in Germany. She needs to apply for a permit to stay.

In which state of Germany is your brother resident? Does he reside there with the other parent? Does the mother reside with him them?

Also see these state government websites about applying for a residence permit.

Saxony - https://www.sachsen.de/en/1454.htm

Berlin - https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324282/en/
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by alexjames2320 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:06 pm
She does not have an automatic right to reside in Germany. She needs to apply for a permit to stay.

In which state of Germany is your brother resident? Does he reside there with the other parent? Does the mother reside with him them?

Also see these state government websites about applying for a residence permit.

Saxony - https://www.sachsen.de/en/1454.htm

Berlin - https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324282/en/
Thank you for the comment dear friend, she is a resident in Goch, close to Kleve at the moment.
Yes, I do understand that she needs to apply for it but she visited this Kreis Kleve and they are the ones that said that she needs to pay a fine for overstaying, She is living with my Brother alone at the moment in Germany.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 pm

alexjames2320 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 pm
she visited this Kreis Kleve and they are the ones that said that she needs to pay a fine for overstaying
As I said, she does not have an automatic right to reside and it is quite possible that Germany imposes fines if the relevant applications are not made in time.

Here is the website of the Kleve district (Kreis) with contact information. You may want to contact them directly to argue your mother's case.

On a point of interest, when did your brother move to Germany and did he move with another member of his family or just his mother?

@ALKB is more knowledgeable in matters relating to Germany and I will attempt to rope him into this conversation.

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by alexjames2320 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:48 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 pm
alexjames2320 wrote:
she visited this Kreis Kleve and they are the ones that said that she needs to pay a fine for overstaying
As I said, she does not have an automatic right to reside and it is quite possible that Germany imposes fines if the relevant applications are not made in time.

Here is the website of the Kleve district (Kreis) with contact information. You may want to contact them directly to argue your mother's case.

On a point of interest, when did your brother move to Germany and did he move with another member of his family or just his mother?

@ALKB is more knowledgeable in matters relating to Germany and I will attempt to rope him into this conversation.
Only with my mother he moved to Germany, they moved together end of July i think, but my mom visigted the UK and Albanian during that period, noone in the Border controll ever told her that she is not allowed to stay more or anything else, they went together for a better future. i tried to call them many times but they are not speaking english or neither want to talk to me in English to discuss the issue.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:15 pm

alexjames2320 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:48 pm
secret.simon wrote:
alexjames2320 wrote:

Only with my mother he moved to Germany, they moved together end of July i think, but my mom visigted the UK and Albanian during that period, noone in the Border controll ever told her that she is not allowed to stay more or anything else, they went together for a better future. i tried to call them many times but they are not speaking english or neither want to talk to me in English to discuss the issue.
If they moved at the end of July, when did they register their residence in Germany?

If your mother has a 5-year residence card from Greece, she has the right to visit other EU countries for up to 90 days, so border control won't tell her that she can't enter/visit. Did she tell border control that she was moving indefinitely to Germany?

In any case, she should have applied for a German residence card within 90 days of arrival. Since 90 days have long passed, does she have German health insurance, is she paying tax and social contributions, etc.?

Is the child's father an EU national? Where is he?

The official language of Germany is German and servants of the state/employees of government agencies are actually not supposed to speak to people in any other language than German, to minimise misunderstandings/mistakes/things getting lost in translation. If your mother or you don't speak German, you'll need to employ a translator.

Did she receive any paperwork? It would be helpful to read what that says.

She might have a case under Chavez-Vilchez:

https://www.migrationsrecht.net/nachric ... recht.html

But I am not a lawyer and would encourage your mother to get advice from a local immigration lawyer in Germany.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by alexjames2320 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:58 pm

ALKB wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:15 pm
alexjames2320 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
alexjames2320 wrote:

If they moved at the end of July, when did they register their residence in Germany?

If your mother has a 5-year residence card from Greece, she has the right to visit other EU countries for up to 90 days, so border control won't tell her that she can't enter/visit. Did she tell border control that she was moving indefinitely to Germany?

In any case, she should have applied for a German residence card within 90 days of arrival. Since 90 days have long passed, does she have German health insurance, is she paying tax and social contributions, etc.?

The official language of Germany is German and servants of the state/employees of government agencies are actually not supposed to speak to people in any other language than German, to minimise misunderstandings/mistakes/things getting lost in translation. If your mother or you don't speak German, you'll need to employ a translator.

But I am not a lawyer and would encourage your mother to get advice from a local immigration lawyer in Germany.
Hello Dear friend, thanks a lot for your reply and information that you provided, My mother has registered her residency after a week of living in Germany, so beggining of August, she is Paying taxes and all that but she is working part time at the moment with a income of 450+Euro she is not renting her own place but my uncle is hosting her in his house. she did receive paperwork when she registered but noone said that she had 90 day to do. My father is not an EU is only us the brothers that we have EU passports parents have Albanian Passports. The languagew issue is that i have to talk to them and understand what they were asking from her as i do not speak Dutch and the only one who can help with the language is my uncle, my question now is, can they fine her and try to take her back to Albania or Greece? even if she accepts that she made a mistake and she will go back and try and get a residence on her return.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:14 pm

alexjames2320 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:58 pm
ALKB wrote:
alexjames2320 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:

Hello Dear friend, thanks a lot for your reply and information that you provided, My mother has registered her residency after a week of living in Germany, so beggining of August, she is Paying taxes and all that but she is working part time at the moment with a income of 450+Euro she is not renting her own place but my uncle is hosting her in his house. she did receive paperwork when she registered but noone said that she had 90 day to do. My father is not an EU is only us the brothers that we have EU passports parents have Albanian Passports. The languagew issue is that i have to talk to them and understand what they were asking from her as i do not speak Dutch and the only one who can help with the language is my uncle, my question now is, can they fine her and try to take her back to Albania or Greece? even if she accepts that she made a mistake and she will go back and try and get a residence on her return.
Is she earning 450 Euro or more than 450 Euro? Does she have health insurance?

I didn't mean paperwork for registering, I mean paperwork that says that she has to leave.

The people at the Rathaus or Meldeamt who are doing the registering are not immigration experts, it's not their job to provide immigration advice, it's your mother's responsibility to make sure she has the right paperwork to stay and work.

Is the uncle not helping? If you personally need to talk to the German authorities, then get somebody to translate for you.

She can be fined and taken back to Albania or Greece (on which basis was the Greek residence card issued?), especially if she doesn't get competent help that can identify her rights and help her to enforce those rights should she have them.

Again, where is the other parent of the child?

Is the uncle an EU national?

This situation is way beyond the scope of an internet forum, especially since all information is hearsay and none of you speak the language in which the information was provided.

I urge you to get at least a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer who knows their way around EU law.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by alexjames2320 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:36 am

ALKB wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:14 pm
alexjames2320 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:58 pm
ALKB wrote:
alexjames2320 wrote:

Only with my mother he moved to Germany, they moved together with the end of July I think, but my mom visited the UK and Albanian during that period, no one in the Border control ever told her that she is not allowed to stay more or anything else, they went together for a better future. I tried to call them many times but they are not speaking English or neither want to talk to me in English to discuss the issue.

The official language of Germany is German and servants of the state/employees of government agencies are not supposed to speak to people in any other language than German, to minimise misunderstandings/mistakes/things getting lost in translation. If your mother or you don't speak German, you'll need to employ a translator.

Hello Dear friend, thanks a lot for your reply and information that you provided, My mother has registered her residency after a week of living in Germany, so beginning of August, she is Paying taxes and all that but she is working part-time at the moment with an income of 450+Euro she is not renting her place but my uncle is hosting her in his house. she did receive paperwork when she registered but no one said that she had 90 days to do. My father is not an EU is only us the brothers that we have EU passports parents have Albanian Passports. The language issue is that I have to talk to them and understand what they were asking from her as I do not speak Dutch and the only one who can help with the language is my uncle, my question now is, can they fine her and try to take her back to Albania or Greece? even if she accepts that she made a mistake and she will go back and try and get a residence on her return.
Is she earning 450 Euro or more than 450 Euro? Does she have health insurance?

I didn't mean paperwork for registering, I mean paperwork that says that she has to leave.

The people at the Rathaus or Meldeamt who are doing the registering are not immigration experts, it's not their job to provide immigration advice, it's your mother's responsibility to make sure she has the right paperwork to stay and work.

Is the uncle not helping? If you need to talk to the German authorities, then get somebody to translate for you.

She can be fined and taken back to Albania or Greece (on which basis was the Greek residence card issued?), especially if she doesn't get competent help that can identify her rights and help her to enforce those rights should she have them.

Again, where is the other parent of the child?

Is the uncle an EU national?

This situation is way beyond the scope of an internet forum, especially since all information is hearsay and none of you speaks the language in which the information was provided.

I urge you to get at least a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer who knows their way around EU law.
Once again Dear friend thanks for your response, my mother is earning 450 and paying insurance according to what she told me. My uncle is trying to help her but he has no idea of the immigration paperwork, Yes they did gave her a letter saying that she needs to Attend or leave on the 13th of February in 3days time. My uncle is not an EU he has a permanent residency in Germany and living there for the last 25 years, my father is not with her at the moment he is living back home in Greece as he is working there, he was planning to move to Germany but later this year, my mother's residency in a 5years Family member of EU citizen residency card. I do understand that the information is complex and confusing but I just had no other choice than to write to the forum to see what I can do, the Lawyer asked for 500+ just to start the Case and with no guarantee, thanks a lot for trying to help me as much as you can.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:54 pm

alexjames2320 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:36 am
Once again Dear friend thanks for your response, my mother is earning 450 and paying insurance according to what she told me. My uncle is trying to help her but he has no idea of the immigration paperwork, Yes they did gave her a letter saying that she needs to Attend or leave on the 13th of February in 3days time. My uncle is not an EU he has a permanent residency in Germany and living there for the last 25 years, my father is not with her at the moment he is living back home in Greece as he is working there, he was planning to move to Germany but later this year, my mother's residency in a 5years Family member of EU citizen residency card. I do understand that the information is complex and confusing but I just had no other choice than to write to the forum to see what I can do, the Lawyer asked for 500+ just to start the Case and with no guarantee, thanks a lot for trying to help me as much as you can.
450 Euro is the threshold for paying tax, social contributions and health insurance. The only thing she might be paying is pension contributions.

Which leaves the question how she and your brother are health insured. Is she paying 'voluntary' health insurance premiums? That would eat up most of her income. All residents have to be health insured, if she is not, this will be another problem she faces on the 13th.

It's a bit difficult to get a clear picture here. When I asked on which basis her EEA family member residence card in Greece was issued, I meant: who is her EEA sponsor in Greece?

Is your father working in Greece also on an EEA residence card? Does he have the same EEA sponsor?

EU freedom of movement is supposed to strengthen family bonds, since your father is 'at home' in Greece, the move to Germany seems to have split up the family, depriving your brother of one parent.

I can't find any case law that would fit the situation (as I said, I am not a lawyer) - your mother is not the unmarried/divorced non-EEA partner of an EU citizen who have an EU child together. Your brother would not be forced to leave the EU if Germany does not grant residence to his mother, they could go home to Greece.

I think it's unlikely for her to be detained on the 13th, not with a child of that age. Not attending the appointment will not make things easier. She should go with as many documents as possible, with somebody who can translate, better even with a lawyer, be extremely polite and apologetic (case workers in Germany have a lot of leeway!) and try to work with the immigration office to hopefully lodge an application of sorts - try not to see them as the enemy, getting defensive, ask them for help and guidance.

Your uncle should call an organisation like an ngo that deals with migration issues:

https://www.caritas-kleve.de/soziale-hi ... uechtlinge

I know they are not refugees but those people should be able to at least point your mother in the right direction.

Some more addresses:

https://integration.kreis-kleve.de/lebe ... rwachsene/

If there is no other way than leaving, remember, leaving voluntarily makes it a lot easier to come back later than being deported.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:35 pm

alexjames2320 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:36 am
Yes they did gave her a letter saying that she needs to Attend or leave on the 13th of February in 3days time.
How did the appointment go?