ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen application for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AlexD187
Newly Registered
Romania

EU Citizen application for naturalisation

Post by AlexD187 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:10 am

Hi everyone,

I am almost ready to apply for my naturalisation. I have gathered all the required evidence, and I am now waiting for the final piece, namely the HMRC Employment History letter. However, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could advise on the following instance:

I arrived in the UK in 2013 to study an Undergraduate programme. I finished this in 2017 (took 4 years due to a placement year), then worked for 2 years and started an MA course in September 2019. My concern is linked to the employment history list required in the application process. During my first and second year I was registered with a few recruitment agencies and worked numerous temp jobs (the duration ranging from 1 day events to 1-2 weeks in various companies). As I have had many jobs during that time I do not remember all of them, neither do I have payslips for all of them. I spoke to a OSIC registered solicitor and they said I should just add a cover letter to explain this. Is it possible to do this as part of the online application? On the other hand, I think the HMRC document that I am expecting should clarify this.

Additionally, one of the requirements says that you must have been physically present in the UK 5 years ago on the day you make the application. How would it be possible for a EU citizen to prove this as we do not get our passports stamped. In terms of documents that prove my residency period I have letters from the University which confirm that I studied full time on campus between 2013 and 2017, and letters from my employer (only worked for one employer), except from the recruitment agencies that I worked for in the first and second year. I will also have the HMRC employment history letter.

Would these documents suffice to prove that I was physically present in the UK on the day I make the application? Say I make the application this February it means that 5 years ago I would have been studying in my second year which can easily be deducted from my confirmation of completion letter provided by the University which mentions the start and end date of my course.

*I fulfill all the other requirements (Life in the UK test, referees, EU Settlement for more than 1 year, etc) and my application should be straight forward except for this employment thing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Apologies for the long post. :)

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EU Citizen application for naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 am

AlexD187 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:10 am
Hi everyone,

I am almost ready to apply for my naturalisation. I have gathered all the required evidence, and I am now waiting for the final piece, namely the HMRC Employment History letter. However, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could advise on the following instance:

I arrived in the UK in 2013 to study an Undergraduate programme. I finished this in 2017 (took 4 years due to a placement year), then worked for 2 years and started an MA course in September 2019. My concern is linked to the employment history list required in the application process. During my first and second year I was registered with a few recruitment agencies and worked numerous temp jobs (the duration ranging from 1 day events to 1-2 weeks in various companies). As I have had many jobs during that time I do not remember all of them, neither do I have payslips for all of them. I spoke to a OSIC registered solicitor and they said I should just add a cover letter to explain this. Is it possible to do this as part of the online application? On the other hand, I think the HMRC document that I am expecting should clarify this. You just show your period with the employment agency, not each specific temp assignment - you don't have to explain this. The solicitor should have said as much.

Additionally, one of the requirements says that you must have been physically present in the UK 5 years ago on the day you make the application. How would it be possible for a EU citizen to prove this as we do not get our passports stamped. In terms of documents that prove my residency period I have letters from the University which confirm that I studied full time on campus between 2013 and 2017, and letters from my employer (only worked for one employer), except from the recruitment agencies that I worked for in the first and second year. I will also have the HMRC employment history letter.

Would these documents suffice to prove that I was physically present in the UK on the day I make the application? Say I make the application this February it means that 5 years ago I would have been studying in my second year which can easily be deducted from my confirmation of completion letter provided by the University which mentions the start and end date of my course. You are not required to specifically prove that date but the details you provide should not show you were actually away that date. It seems you have sufficient documentation.

*I fulfill all the other requirements (Life in the UK test, referees, EU Settlement for more than 1 year, etc) and my application should be straight forward except for this employment thing.

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AlexD187
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by AlexD187 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 pm

Thank you so much. The solicitor was not helpful at all, a waste of money.
I really appreciated your answer. :)

AlexD187
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by AlexD187 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:25 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 am
AlexD187 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:10 am
Hi everyone,

I arrived in the UK in 2013 to study an Undergraduate programme. I finished this in 2017 (took 4 years due to a placement year), then worked for 2 years and started an MA course in September 2019. My concern is linked to the employment history list required in the application process. During my first and second year I was registered with a few recruitment agencies and worked numerous temp jobs (the duration ranging from 1 day events to 1-2 weeks in various companies). As I have had many jobs during that time I do not remember all of them, neither do I have payslips for all of them. I spoke to a OSIC registered solicitor and they said I should just add a cover letter to explain this. Is it possible to do this as part of the online application? On the other hand, I think the HMRC document that I am expecting should clarify this. You just show your period with the employment agency, not each specific temp assignment - you don't have to explain this. The solicitor should have said as much.

Would these documents suffice to prove that I was physically present in the UK on the day I make the application? Say I make the application this February it means that 5 years ago I would have been studying in my second year which can easily be deducted from my confirmation of completion letter provided by the University which mentions the start and end date of my course. You are not required to specifically prove that date but the details you provide should not show you were actually away that date. It seems you have sufficient documentation.

Thank you so much. The solicitor was not helpful at all, a waste of money.
I really appreciated your answer. :)