ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled Status and Application for Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cassandra
Newly Registered

Settled Status and Application for Naturalization

Post by cassandra » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:36 am

I am German, live in the UK since May 2011, and I am married to a British Citizen since 2012. Last year I obtained Settled Status (with the App).

Im am now with my application for British Citizenship. There are various reasons for this:

Germany allows dual citizenship only with other EU countries but has now given a grace period where dual citizenzhip is still possible for Germans when the application for British Citizenship is made during the transition period.

I will be 65 this month and therefore I believe I won't need the “Life in the UK” test and the English language test due to my age - but there is no reference to this point in the appliction form. Am I right here?

Is the biometric information I submitted with the application for Settled Status valid and enough for the Application for Citizenship?

I didn't work in the UK, therefore it is difficult to prove that I was present in the country.

Although bank statements for the last 5 years were enough to obtain Settled Status, they are apparently not enough evidence for the British Citizenship Application, neither are utility bills. Is this correct?

Does a comprehensive sickness insurance count as evidence?

I could provide letters from various organizations that I took part in their courses. Lists of appointments (GP, hospital, dentist), confirmed and signed. Would this be sufficient? If not, what would be accepted by the Home Office? What else might accepted as proof?

My husband doesn't have a passport. Is a birth certificate enough to prove that he is British? Or what else can we use?

I'm struggling with this application, any help and advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Settled Status and Application for Naturalization

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:45 am

cassandra wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:36 am
I am German, live in the UK since May 2011, and I am married to a British Citizen since 2012. Last year I obtained Settled Status (with the App).

Im am now with my application for British Citizenship. There are various reasons for this:

Germany allows dual citizenship only with other EU countries but has now given a grace period where dual citizenzhip is still possible for Germans when the application for British Citizenship is made during the transition period.

I will be 65 this month and therefore I believe I won't need the “Life in the UK” test and the English language test due to my age - but there is no reference to this point in the appliction form. Am I right here?
Yes - Presumably you have the official guidance https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf
Is the biometric information I submitted with the application for Settled Status valid and enough for the Application for Citizenship?
No - for each application you do biometrics, it is included in the fee.
I didn't work in the UK, therefore it is difficult to prove that I was present in the country.
You can provide official communications/documents, such as Council Tax Bills, HMRC, DWP Pensions, etc
Although bank statements for the last 5 years were enough to obtain Settled Status, they are apparently not enough evidence for the British Citizenship Application, neither are utility bills. Is this correct?
Correct - not accepted as it's not necessarily a residency proof.
CSI is not required.
I could provide letters from various organizations that I took part in their courses. Lists of appointments (GP, hospital, dentist), confirmed and signed. Would this be sufficient? If not, what would be accepted by the Home Office? What else might accepted as proof?
See above - though letters/documents with NHS logo would count as official.
My husband doesn't have a passport. Is a birth certificate enough to prove that he is British? Or what else can we use?
I must say I don't know the answer here.
I'm struggling with this application, any help and advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

cassandra
Newly Registered

Post by cassandra » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 am

Thank you so much!

cassandra
Newly Registered

Post by cassandra » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:00 pm

I will struggle to prove that I was in the country for the last three years, but I try. Regarding the csi, I know that I don't need it. What I meant, does the fact that I have it prove that I was in the UK?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:20 pm

cassandra wrote:
The proof can be correspondence with government departments or with local government. So regular correspondence with the HMRC, DWP, etc, as @alterhase58 has mentioned above.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cassandra
Newly Registered

Post by cassandra » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 am

Going through my diary since 2017, I had almost every month a GP appointment, dentist appointments every 3 months, hospital appointments, attended continuously courses, provided by the council and the NHS. Would these count as proof, signed and confirmed?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 am

First I would try to provide Council Tax Bills for the three years, providing they show your name. If you don't have anything like HMRC, DWP, etc then the NHS and other council documents should be ok.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:12 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:45 am
cassandra wrote:
CSI is not required.
Is it not needed, though, to prove that she was a qualified person before settled status was granted? (Being a permanent resident would also be good enough.)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Was suggested for residency proof as I understood.
CSI is a bit of a minefield I feel...