ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Few queries and forms verification

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kg_1218

Non-UK born child applying for citizenship

Post by kg_1218 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 am

Hi, My son who was born in India and I (& my wife) got ILR in 2015. My son's ILR expires in early 2020, I just wonder if I can apply British citizenship ONLY for my son without us applying for citizenship.

If that's not possible, next year we all will be completing 10years in UK. Is he alone can apply citizenship at that time?

Thanks

Casa

Re: Non-UK born child applying for citizenship

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 am

kg_1218 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 am
Hi, My son who was born in India and I (& my wife) got ILR in 2015. My son's ILR expires in early 2020, I just wonder if I can apply British citizenship ONLY for my son without us applying for citizenship.

If that's not possible, next year we all will be completing 10years in UK. Is he alone can apply citizenship at that time?

Thanks
ILR doesn't expire (unless there is absence of more than 2 years). What visas (category & dates) have you all held since arriving in the UK?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi Casa, Tier1

As he is a minor, they have issued only for 5 years. I think i need to apply and ask for reissuing BRP card for him.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Also see this thread on pretty much the same question, of a child being registered without either parent becoming a British citizen.

Given that the child has ILR, you will need to adduce good reasons as to why discretion should be exercised for the child to be registered as a British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kg_1218

MN1 Fee for 2020-2021

Post by kg_1218 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi, I am about to apply for naturalization for my son but I understand that there may be a chance that fees may be reduced (after april?). However my son's indian passport is going to expire in first week of March, so either I've to apply for naturalization or renew indian passport asap. Does anyone know when UKBA will announce the 2020-2021 fee structure? I know it is hard question, do you guys think the fee will reduced heavily after the below judicial review?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ourt-hears

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 Fee for 2020-2021

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm

There has been no change to the fees and HO is likely to appeal the judgment.

Note also it is for those entitled to register as British, ie UK born before parent got ilr and Form T applications.

Your child was born abroad, which is not an entitlement to register.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Thanks for your response.

So, am i right saying that even if they reduce the fee for those entitled to register, it is unlikely to reduce mn1 naturalization fee?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 pm

kg_1218 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:42 pm
Thanks for your response.

So, am i right saying that even if they reduce the fee for those entitled to register, it is unlikely to reduce mn1 naturalization fee?
Children are REGISTERED. Adults are Naturalised.

It appears that the fee reduction is not for application by discretion under Section 3(1), which is for children born abroad as is your case.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:44 pm

I was under the impression that fee may be reduced for MN1 child registration as well and was thinking about other interim options. Thanks for the clarifications. So I've to damage my bank balance now :( .

kg_1218

Few queries and forms verification

Post by kg_1218 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi

My son's indian passport (and mine too) expires in a couple of months and my son's ILR validity expires in May (as he is minor, initial ILR granted only for 5 years). Got ILR in 2015 and thinking to obtain british passports for us, so I think I've to apply MN1 for my son and AN for me and my wife (all were born in india).

- Hope HO doesnt care about why I've not applied for BC 1 year after ILR?
- Is it mandatory that our indian passports should have validity at the time of applying these? If so, is there any minimum validity required?

I would like to make sure the forms which I'm going to use are correct. Please help.

For my son - https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1578045163 and the fee is £1012

For me and my wife - https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1578045163 and the fee is £1330

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Few queries and forms verification

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:49 pm

kg_1218 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:07 pm
Hi

My son's indian passport (and mine too) expires in a couple of months and my son's ILR validity expires in May (as he is minor, initial ILR granted only for 5 years). Got ILR in 2015 and thinking to obtain british passports for us, so I think I've to apply MN1 for my son and AN for me and my wife (all were born in india).

- Hope HO doesnt care about why I've not applied for BC 1 year after ILR?
Correct - there is no expectation or compulsion on you to apply for BC - and you can apply any time after the one year wait.
- Is it mandatory that our indian passports should have validity at the time of applying these? If so, is there any minimum validity required?
You can apply with expired passport(s) though you have to provide alternative evidence of residence from date of expiry (for non-EU ILR holders normally just the passport is required to prove residency).
I would like to make sure the forms which I'm going to use are correct. Please help.

For my son - https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1578045163 and the fee is £1012 OK - if your son was born before you gained ILR.

For me and my wife - https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1578045163 and the fee is £1330 OK - per applicant.

Note that fees normally increase at the beginning of April.

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Topics merged!!

Note also that you can use form AN for yourself and add additional applicants. You still pay a fee for each person. No discount for families.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Thanks guys for all your responses.

You can apply with expired passport(s) though you have to provide alternative evidence of residence from date of expiry (for non-EU ILR holders normally just the passport is required to prove residency).

-- OK In my case, my son (and me) should have a valid passports. My son's passport expires on 1st week of March, do you think it should be fine as long as I apply before that date (and it doesn't matter when they process/approve)?

For my son - https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1578045163 and the fee is £1012 OK - if your son was born before you gained ILR.

-- I and my son both have got ILR at the same time and he was born in india. Am i right that still it should be MN1 form?

Note also that you can use form AN for yourself and add additional applicants. You still pay a fee for each person. No discount for families.

-- Do you mean I can use the same application for me, my wife and my son? If so, how HO will differentiate from my application to my son's application as it'll be a different form for him?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:33 pm

-- OK In my case, my son (and me) should have a valid passports. My son's passport expires on 1st week of March, do you think it should be fine as long as I apply before that date (and it doesn't matter when they process/approve)?
Yes
-- I and my son both have got ILR at the same time and he was born in india. Am i right that still it should be MN1 form?
Yes, if not adding to your application.
-- Do you mean I can use the same application for me, my wife and my son? If so, how HO will differentiate from my application to my son's application as it'll be a different form for him?
Ho do actually know the rules and the forms are theirs allowing you to add dependents!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:18 pm

Excellent, thank you very much.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi, I'm just asking in the same post, so it would be easier to understand my position.

I, my wife and my son got ILR in 2015 and planning to go for naturalisation/registration now. I've few queries regarding absence from UK, please can anyone help.

- Am I right saying that we all need to submit the absence from UK for the last 5 years?
- What documents we should provide for proof of evidence?
- I think I and my wife submitted our non-uk degree certificates (and PBS calculator) to prove our knowledge of english. Is it enough to submit the same documents for naturalisation or anything else required?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 pm

kg_1218 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 pm
Hi, I'm just asking in the same post, so it would be easier to understand my position.

I, my wife and my son got ILR in 2015 and planning to go for naturalisation/registration now. I've few queries regarding absence from UK, please can anyone help.

- Am I right saying that we all need to submit the absence from UK for the last 5 years? Yes.
- What documents we should provide for proof of evidence? You don't need to provide specific documentation to prove your declared absences - but ensure you were physically in the UK on day five years before your application date.
- I think I and my wife submitted our non-uk degree certificates (and PBS calculator) to prove our knowledge of english. Is it enough to submit the same documents for naturalisation or anything else required? I am not sure on this - others may be able to confirm.

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks alterhase58.

Please let me know how can we prove that we were physically in the UK last five years? Is it ok if i show my P60 for the last 5 years? And I'm not sure for my wife and son. Can Gurus/someone applied recently help on this and the below one please?

- I think I and my wife submitted our non-uk degree certificates (and PBS calculator) to prove our knowledge of english. Is it enough to submit the same documents for naturalisation or anything else required?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 am

Please let me know how can we prove that we were physically in the UK last five years? Is it ok if i show my P60 for the last 5 years? And I'm not sure for my wife and son. Can Gurus/someone applied recently help on this and the below one please?
As has already been advised, not sure why you are ignoring the advice and asking again, you ONLY NEED YOUR PASSPORTS to prove your residence!!!!
There is no PBS calculator anymore. HO might very well ask for NARIC or the English B1 test as proof you meet the requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am

I dont think I've been advised to show passports in this post. I may not be understood correctly. Anyway thanks CR001 for clarifying this. We all have renewed our passports, so the new passports may not have all 5 years immigration stamps. Does it really matter?

I think I've submitted something comparing my qualification and university to prove english requirement. Not sure whether it is from PBS calculator or NARIC website but not paid anything for this. It looks like this time I need to pay to get it from NARIC?

Thanks again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:09 pm

You need all passports covering the 5 years.

If you cannot remember what you submitted for the English language requirement, then it is up to you to decide to risk it or do NARIC or the English B1 test to avoid delays and/or a refusal.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:07 pm

Thanks again CR001. I've started filling the online application and the below question was asked re english requirement. As I've got my ILR after 28 Oct 2013 by providing my degree certificates, does that enough or they specifically asking for level B1? Sorry to be a pain, i'm not clear on english requirement and dont understand why HO asking us to prove english language again.

Knowledge of the English language

Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? (Required)
Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Can anyone respond to below question please?

online application form
Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? (Required)
Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application.

I obtained my ILR after 28 Oct 2013 by submitting my degree certificate and medium instruction letter from university (and pbs calculator printout) not using level B1 or above. So my question here is, am i still exempt from english language requirement or do i need to get naric letter (or b1 exam)?

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:27 pm

Gurus and/or anyone in similar situation as me respond to my below query would be much appreciated.

Thanks

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Not sure whether no one is in my situation or it is a difficult question.

OK. If i assume I'm exempt from english language requirement and apply for the naturalisation with my degree certificate and medium of instruction letter from my college (i.e. without Naric letter and B1 Level exam), I think HO has 2 options:

- HO would accept
- Will they reject simply or ask for additional documents (such as Naric letter and B1 Level exam)?

Thanks