ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cancel wife's british citizenship after divorce

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ChaitanyaS123
Newly Registered

Cancel wife's british citizenship after divorce

Post by ChaitanyaS123 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm

I got married in 2010 and we got divorced in June 2018.
I have reasons to believe she married me only to get citizenship. Now she is marrying one guy with who cheated with and now she is getting him to UK as her dependent.
Can I report to UKBA and curtail/cancel her british citizenship ?

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Re: Cancel wife's british citizenship after divorce

Post by FaeLLe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:28 pm

If she got ILR through you then you could report your concerns. But it is unlikely they will take real action unless you have any substantial proof.... because to them you are the bitter ex who might want to take revege based on your doubts?

ChaitanyaS123
Newly Registered

Post by ChaitanyaS123 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 pm

Yes she got 5 year dependent TIer 2 visa via me. She got ILR through me also. Even if I report it how would I know if they are going to take action or not and how long do they need to take action? Is it better to report when she is out of UK ?

ChaitanyaS123
Newly Registered

Post by ChaitanyaS123 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Also what do you mean by substantial proof ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:35 pm

You can't request that her British Citizenship is cancelled, unless it was obtained through deception by her on the application. Citizenship isn't a visa or ILR application. Some members here will give you a more detailed answer but I think it will be the same answer.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ChaitanyaS123
Newly Registered

Post by ChaitanyaS123 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:22 am

We were separated when she was filing for her citizenship. I wasn't aware that she was applying else would have stopped it then. Does this help as I didnt provide my consent for her to apply with me as dependent.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 am

Your wife didn't need your consent and she ceased to be your 'dependant' when her ILR was issued. She met the requirements and was therefore granted British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Rbgotpwr

Post by Rbgotpwr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:46 pm

ChaitanyaS123 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm
I have reasons to believe she married me only to get citizenship. Now she is marrying one guy with who cheated with and now she is getting him to UK as her dependent.
You can’t just have her citizenship cancelled. At that point, she is not dependent on you anymore. You are equals as British Citizens. Once granted you cannot cancel it, citizenship can only be stripped in very limited situations such as national security or deception.
From the moment she didn’t lie in her application she will keep her citizenship. A tip off won’t do much as doubts over the genuineness of your relationship wouldn’t be sufficient at this point to strip her of her citizenship if every part of her application met the official requirements.
Even if you manage to prove that she married you for ILR or Citizenship, it is too late from the moment she has been granted those, the Home Office considered her case and established the relationship was likely to be genuine. Twice. Or three times at every step of her naturalisation journey from the moment she arrived in the UK.
The length of your marriage is likely to be in her favour, 8 years is a long time for a fake marriage.

No need to be vindictive at this point.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:52 pm

ChaitanyaS123 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm
There is nothing that you can do now nor home office can do anything.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am

Like others have said - let it go, vindictiveness will only make things sour or hateful for you.

I can understand exactly what you are going through but in a divorce it is just better to settle matters and go your own way instead of putting each other down.