ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unpaid US speeding ticket+other queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

andygo
Newly Registered

Unpaid US speeding ticket+other queries

Post by andygo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:38 pm

Hi
We’re applying for citizenship for my wife - but have a couple of queries- would appreciate any help and advice.
My wife came to the UK from USA in 2007, ILR in 2009. I’m a UK citizen from birth. In theory she is a straightforward case but there are a couple of issues we’re not sure about:

1 In 2004, while living for a short time in Colarado she got a speeding ticket and parking ticket. As she was soon leaving the state she didn’t pay them :roll: . Will Home Office be able to find out about them?

2 She hasn’t really worked since being in the UK. She’s pretty much been a full time mum and house wife - though she has earned a v small amount from writing and photography (less than £1,000 a year). We haven’t bothered declaring this as the amount is well below tax threshold- but the earnings have gone into her bank account.
Will it be an issue that a) she hasn’t officially worked since being here and b) she hasn’t done any kind of tax return or declaration on her small earnings. (I’ve never been self employed so have no idea when you’re supposed to start declaring earnings.)
We were going to describe her as housewife/photographer.

3 On the question about previous immigration applications she has 3, visitor visa, leave to remain and ILR. There are two reference numbers on the Visitor Visa - which one do we use?

Appreciate any help

Andy

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Unpaid US speeding ticket+other queries

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:41 am

1. I very much doubt they need to be stated, bearing in mind the elapse of time, and you probably won't have any details anyway.

2. Work is such is not a pre-requisite for naturalisation. This sounds something like occasional freelance work, not regular employment or self-employment. So if she's primarily a housewife, i.e. not (self)employed, I would state that without adding a profession/job title.

3. Not familiar with visas - maybe state both if there's enough space?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:07 pm

1 In 2004, while living for a short time in Colarado she got a speeding ticket and parking ticket. As she was soon leaving the state she didn’t pay them :roll: . Will Home Office be able to find out about them?
It sounds a bit far fetched to me.

andygo
Newly Registered

Post by andygo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, we hoped it wouldn’t be a problem but some of the horror stories I’ve read concerned us a bit. Thanks again