ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of irish national travel in europe

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sheh1984
Newly Registered
Ireland

Spouse of irish national travel in europe

Post by Sheh1984 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi guys. Can you please advise I am a irish national. My wife is a non EU citizen holding stamp 4. I read on some website that spouse of irish citizen can travel anywhere in Europe without obtaining visa once the non EU citizen is holding valid Irish residence
Card (gnib) and carrying the marriage certificate. We plan to go to either Spain or France on holidays so would be great if this the case. Thanks for your time and help.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Spouse of irish national travel in europe

Post by littlerr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:08 pm

No. She cannot travel visa free. Only those who have a Stamp 4EUFAM (mainly spouses of non-Irish EU nationals) can travel without a visa.

thpc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by thpc » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:31 am

littlerr wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:08 pm
No. She cannot travel visa free. Only those who have a Stamp 4EUFAM (mainly spouses of non-Irish EU nationals) can travel without a visa.
Incorrect answer my friend. Non Eu spouse can travel to EU without a visa !!!

Please see below

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/node/586_en

South African spouse
South Africa

Post by South African spouse » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am

thpc wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:31 am
littlerr wrote:

Please see below

I just received my invitation for citizenship ceromony!I am an non EU spouse of an irish citizen we have travelled to Europe in several occasions but i always needed to get a visa for the country I entered even when travelling with my wife!the only way you will know whether u need a visa is if u check the country u are travelling to online and it will tell u whether u need a visa or not it really depends on where your partner is from.im south african so most countries I travelled to I needed a visa
Hope this helps

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:59 am

thpc wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Please see below

Spouses of Irish citizens have residence rights under national immigration rules not EU ones. In order to avail yourself of free movement rights you must have been issued a residence permit under Article 10, which is not the case here. Thus the following sentence from your link applies and a visa will be required if the Irish resident is from a visa required country --
"If the residence card held by the non-EU national is not one issued pursuant to Article 10, Directive 2004/38/EC, a visa may be required."

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 am

thpc wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Please see below

The website you quoted stated the exact reason why SOIN is NOT covered

thpc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by thpc » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 am

littlerr wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 am
thpc wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Please see below

The website you quoted stated the exact reason why SOIN is NOT covered
Blanket No is not an answer, if the spouse is from Countries that do not require visas ? have you considered this case!!! hope you read the link in detail

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am

If the spouse does not require a visa on her own, the OP would not be asking the question here.

Your website stated clearly that spouses of Irish National require a visa to enter other EU countries and it even came with an example. I suggest that you read it yourself before telling others to do so.
I am an Irish national married to a Chinese national. We live in Ireland. We are planning to travel to France next month. Is it correct that my wife does not require a visa and that she can use her Irish residence stamp to travel in lieu of a visa?

Since you are an Irish national living in Ireland, your wife has been granted residence in Ireland based on Irish law rather than EU law as you are not regarded as exercising EU Treaty rights by living or working in a country other than that of which you are a national (Article 3, Directive 2004/38/EC). This means that your wife’s residence document is not one granted under EU law and does not entitle her to use this document in lieu of a visa as would be the case if the document was granted under EU law. However, when your wife applies for a visa to the Embassy of the country to which she intends to travel, the visa should be granted to her without charge or formality or delay if she is travelling with or to join you (Article 5, Directive 2004/38/EC).