ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Irakli

British Citizenship - Naturalisation

Post by Irakli » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Hello All,

I would appreciate your guidance :

Me and my partner qualify for British Citizenship (Naturalisation) in couple of months time.
We got ILR last year Spring.
I have been reading guidance and was not sure and had couple of questions:

1. For ILR we got a lot of documents I remember, do we still have to prove we have not left UK during past 6 years for 450+90 days? We have provided literally tens of bills and various documents for ILR application, reading now the guidance it still is asking to prove this (unless I understand it wrongly) https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf

2. I remember from somewhere that application can be made 1 month before the due date (11th month after obtaining ILR) is this true?

3. Can person still travel while he/she is awaiting British Citizenship decision?

Many thanks in advance!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship - Naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:17 pm

Irakli wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm
Hello All,

I would appreciate your guidance :

Me and my partner qualify for British Citizenship (Naturalisation) in couple of months time.
We got ILR last year Spring.
I have been reading guidance and was not sure and had couple of questions:

1. For ILR we got a lot of documents I remember, do we still have to prove we have not left UK during past 6 years for 450+90 days? We have provided literally tens of bills and various documents for ILR application, reading now the guidance it still is asking to prove this (unless I understand it wrongly) https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf Naturalisation is a different process, under the British Nationality Act, not under immigration regulations. So provide all the documents and data that is required - do not rely on the fact you have provided same/similar details for ILR.

2. I remember from somewhere that application can be made 1 month before the due date (11th month after obtaining ILR) is this true? No - there is no early application (28 days or such) - you must complete the 12 months after having gained ILR.

3. Can person still travel while he/she is awaiting British Citizenship decision? Yes - travel is ok as you will retain the originals of passports and BRP.

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by alterhase58 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:19 pm

Danke schoen for quick reply!

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:36 am

Dear Alterhase, anyone,

Could you please share full list of required documents for above? The guidance leaves some gaps.

Many thanks in advance!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:01 am

The online system will tell you what is required based on your circumstances.
Minimum for non-EU applicants is Passport, BRP, English test, LITUK test.
The old paper form has a section explaining document requirements, however, not everything on the list is applicable to everyone.
Page 28 onwards: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -10-19.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 am

Many thanks.

My biggest questions are for section 3 and 10 if you are able to answer please?

Section 3: they only ask for passport and letter from employer. I was wondering if we should also provide bills of past 6 years?

Section 10: they dont give time lines, do they need last 3months? Or All payslips and p.60 during last 6 years?

Danke

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 am

Irakli wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 am
Many thanks.

Section 3: they only ask for passport and letter from employer. I was wondering if we should also provide bills of past 6 years?

Section 10: they dont give time lines, do they need last 3months? Or All payslips and p.60 during last 6 years?

Danke
You do NOT need an employer letter or payslips and P60s. That is ONLY required if you are an EU citizen or family member on the EEA/EU route. You got ILR based on Tier 2. Do not send unnecessary documents that are not required.

Note also that we CANNOT all see the online form, so we have no idea what Section 3 or Section 10 is. You only complete what is relevant to you, not everything.

For residence proof, you ONLY need your passports.

Employment is irrelevant and not mandatory for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 am
Irakli wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 am
Many thanks.

Danke
You do NOT need an employer letter or payslips and P60s. That is ONLY required if you are an EU citizen or family member on the EEA/EU route. You got ILR based on Tier 2. Do not send unnecessary documents that are not required.

Note also that we CANNOT all see the online form, so we have no idea what Section 3 or Section 10 is. You only complete what is relevant to you, not everything.

For residence proof, you ONLY need your passports.

Employment is irrelevant and not mandatory for citizenship.
Hi CR001, thanks for the reply!
As you rightly mentioned we got ILR via Tier 2 route. I am sorry I was not clear about sections, I am referring to AN applications kindly provided by alterhase earlier: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -10-19.pdf

'SECTION 10 Evidence of National Insurance contributions covering the relevant period' does not state that this is not required for someone with ILR (whereas Section 4 does) hence I am super confused.

Could advise list of what is required for our situation (5 Year route)? I would very much appreciate.

As always, many thanks for your continuous guidance CR001!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:05 am

You only need to state your national insurance number in the online form. Nothing else needs to be submitted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Dear CR001,

Could you please share your knowledge on the below?

proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions – is this ILR card they asking for?

Current Biometric Residence Permit – BRP same as ILR card above?

Proof of living – only passport is sufficient?

Can two applicants have same referees?

Do we have to submit marriage certificate?

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:36 pm

proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions – is this ILR card they asking for?

Current Biometric Residence Permit – BRP same as ILR card above?
Yes, ONLY the ILR BRP card.
Proof of living – only passport is sufficient?
Yes.
Can two applicants have same referees?
Yes. Provided the referees are NOT related to either you or your wife or to the other referee.
Do we have to submit marriage certificate?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Many thanks CR001. Thank you for prompt reply. I wonder how shall I thank you for your continuous help on this forum? Many thanks

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Dear CR001,

Could you share your experience on the below please?

1. 'Any passports provided must be originals', yet they are saying no documents have to be sent to HO, how would they know copy that I upload online is original?

2. 'Proof of living in the UK' Do they want to see all pages of our passports where there is UK stamp? ie I need to scan all pages?

3. Does any of the document I upload online has to be confirmed as a original copy by the lawyer or equivalent?

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37 pm

1. You scan and upload it. At biometrics you have to present the original passport for verification and identity check.

2. Yes, all stamped pages.

3. No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Thank you CR001!

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:36 pm

Dear CR001,

I would appreciate if you could advise on the following, it is quite confusing and would appreciate your advise please?

1. at some point in application they ask: if I hold national ID card in my home country, I do hold it and then they ask for ID number, is my understanding correct they really want to know ID number of my home country?

2.One question is: 'Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?'' Do I need to provide all my previous visa details?

3. for Knowledge of the English language they ask: Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? (Required)
Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application.

me and my wife supplied our British Degree certificates at ILR stage to meet English langauge certificate (and in this application they ask if we have degree) but for this specific question I am not sure if they specifically are asking for some sort of language test? Thus not sure if I should say Yes or No in this one?

4. I am applying for my wife in the same application, I noticed that for main applicant (myself) after I put my passport number the application is asking for issuing authority of my non-British passport HOWEVER for my wife after application asks for place of issue of her non-British passport. Would you know why the difference? Can this be a human error from HO?

5. Another question is: Non-applying dependants. Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time? Do we have to mention our son who is British citizen? Technically he is not applying with us at this time (Because he does not need to)

Many thanks!

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Will anyone be able to advise on this from experience?

Thank you

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:40 pm

Irakli wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:36 pm
1. at some point in application they ask: if I hold national ID card in my home country, I do hold it and then they ask for ID number, is my understanding correct they really want to know ID number of my home country?
This would be the document ID number. Just like a passport has a "Passport No" field usually comprised of 9-11 digits (sometimes letters as well), an ID card will have an obvious number printed on it which is unique to that ID card from that country. This is the number you need to specify.
Irakli wrote:
2.One question is: 'Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?'' Do I need to provide all my previous visa details?
Yes. You should provide all applications that you remember and any relevant Home Office reference numbers that may be associated with them.

If you can't remember the details of some applications, you can either add a comment in the free text field towards the end of the form or include a cover letter when you upload your supporting documents explaining that you do not remember the exact details and provide whatever you can remember. Be as specific as you can.
Irakli wrote:
me and my wife supplied our British Degree certificates at ILR stage to meet English langauge certificate (and in this application they ask if we have degree) but for this specific question I am not sure if they specifically are asking for some sort of language test? Thus not sure if I should say Yes or No in this one?
You are overthinking. The question is fairly straightforward:

You should answer "Yes" if you applied for your ILRs on or after 28 October 2013. How you met the requirement is irrelevant. In your case you both used UK university degrees which is accepted by HO.

You should answer "No" if you applied for ILR before 28 October 2013..

In in either case you will still need to provide your degree certificates as proof of knowledge of English as part of your naturalisation application, so do not forget to upload copies in the UKVCAS portal.

The question you quote primarily concerns those who have passed the requirement using an English language test which may have subsequently expired. Those who applied for ILR on or after 28 October 2013 can reuse the same (now expired) test to prove their knowledge of English if it was previously accepted. In your case this is irrelevant because your UK degrees do not have an expiry date.
Irakli wrote:
4. I am applying for my wife in the same application, I noticed that for main applicant (myself) after I put my passport number the application is asking for issuing authority of my non-British passport HOWEVER for my wife after application asks for place of issue of her non-British passport. Would you know why the difference? Can this be a human error from HO?
For both passports, put whatever is stated on both your passports under the "Authority" field as it appears there.

Passports following the international standard do not have a separate "Place of issue" field. However, while some countries will state just the department (e.g. "HMPO" for UK issued British passports) under the "Authority" field, some countries might also include the country and/or place of issue. The latter is often the case for passports of country A that have been issued in country B. Don't overthink it and just put whatever is listed under the "Authority" field.
Irakli wrote:
5. Another question is: Non-applying dependants. Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time? Do we have to mention our son who is British citizen? Technically he is not applying with us at this time (Because he does not need to)
Yes you should include your son as, after all, he is your dependent and he is not applying.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 pm

AnotherUUID - thank you very much for your help!

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:35 pm

AotherUUID, there is one question in application:

'When did you first arrive in the UK?' - I am not sure for citizenship application what do they expect here? For my ILR application I put the date 2011 October, this is date when I arrived in the UK and stayed since (of course travelling out of the country sometimes). However my first ever step on the UK land was in 2009 for couple of month for English course. So, I am really confused which date are they really asking here?

I am wondering if you/anyone has experience in this question?

Many thanks to all!

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Irakli wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:35 pm
'When did you first arrive in the UK?' - I am not sure for citizenship application what do they expect here? For my ILR application I put the date 2011 October, this is date when I arrived in the UK and stayed since (of course travelling out of the country sometimes). However my first ever step on the UK land was in 2009 for couple of month for English course. So, I am really confused which date are they really asking here?
This would be the date your first entered the UK with a long-term view or route to settlement. In your case, I would suggest you put October 2011 as this is, de facto, when you arrived and have been on route to settlement and is consistent with your ILR application.

You can always put a sentence or two in a cover letter mentioning your previous 2mo stay in 2009, and saying that you weren't sure if this would be the correct date since, as you say, your route to settlement technically started in 2011. In fact, I would recommend that you do that irrespective, as you do not want to have your application refused on deception grounds if HO, for whatever reason, decide to use the 2009 date when they run background checks.

I always recommend to people to use a cover letter for any additional information which may be relevant to their circumstances or if they feel unsure about a particular entry on the form. Caseworkers do and will read all information provided, even if supplied outside the fields available in the form itself.

Remember, providing extra information which might be considered by the caseworker as unnecessary/irrelevant does no harm - it will be ignored, but withholding potentially relevant information can be an issue.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi AnotherUUID, Absolutely agree, more is better in this case and is no harm.

Many thanks for your prompt replies! Much appreciated!!

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:15 pm

Dear AnotherUUID,

I need to just double check one thing please:

For documents they are asking these 2 requirements:

- proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions

- Current Biometric Residence Permit

As I understand for both of these requirements they are asking for ILR BRP Card?

If yes, why are they asking for the same thing twice? Am I wrong here?

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Irakli wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:15 pm
Dear AnotherUUID,

I need to just double check one thing please:

For documents they are asking these 2 requirements:

- proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions

- Current Biometric Residence Permit

As I understand for both of these requirements they are asking for ILR BRP Card?

If yes, why are they asking for the same thing twice? Am I wrong here?

Many thanks!
Same things.

Note the same form is used for all categories who have ilr/pr/settled status etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Understood. Many thanks CR001!