ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP CARDS OR SETTLED STATUS.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bpatmens

BRP CARDS OR SETTLED STATUS.

Post by bpatmens » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:48 am

Hello good people, I am back again seeking for your help. My two children who came on EEA family permits then EEA residence cards are due to apply for permanent residence this month; as they have been here for five years now. I am wondering should I apply for PR for them or Settle status? I know with PR, they will be issued with BRP cards which I think is better; however, settle status only comes with email. In case I apply for BRP cards for them, do they need to still apply for settled status next year when they will be due for naturalisation? Please help

bpatmens

Re: BRP CARDS OR SETTLED STATUS.

Post by bpatmens » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 am

Any ideas please?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:08 am

bpatmens wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:48 am
I am wondering should I apply for PR for them or Settle status? I know with PR, they will be issued with BRP cards which I think is better; however, settle status only comes with email. In case I apply for BRP cards for them, do they need to still apply for settled status next year when they will be due for naturalisation? Please help
Applying for PR should get them Permanent Residence Cards, which act as visas for travel in the EEA, but expire at the end of this year.

If they apply for PR, they can then apply for settled status as soon as they have the cards. I'm not sure when they will get the BRPs. Are you looking for them to naturalise (which they do as adults) or to be registered as British as minors? There is no one year delay for registration.

bpatmens

Post by bpatmens » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks very much for your reply. So I will apply for the PR then settled status after that. They do not qualify for registration because they were born after I became British Citizen and that, they are deriving their status through my wife (their step mother) who is EEA citizen.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 pm

bpatmens wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:48 am
however, settle status only comes with email.
This is not true.

It only comes as an electronic status if you already have, and apply with, a biometric card, such as PR card, via the phone app .

But if you apply without having a PR card, that is, choosing one of the other options for applying, not he phone app, which requires taking biometrics, then you will get issued a Settled Status physical card straight away.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

bpatmens

Post by bpatmens » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks so much for the clarity. That settles my dilemma.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:57 pm

bpatmens wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am
Thanks very much for your reply. So I will apply for the PR then settled status after that. They do not qualify for registration because they were born after I became British Citizen and that, they are deriving their status through my wife (their step mother) who is EEA citizen.
If you're not interested in PRCs for them and your wife already has settled status (or probably also if she has naturalised as British), note that they already qualify for settled status under Immigration Rule EU11 condition 7.

I think you mean they don't have a right to be registered because they were born outside the UK. If they are minors, once they have ILR they will probably qualify for registration 'at discretion' (form MN1). ('At discretion' means the Home Office makes up the rules without asking for the approval of Parliament.) I haven't checked for any problems there may be if their mother is still alive.