ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled Status after Permanent Residence obtained in April 2018

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

blondiey2k
Newly Registered

Settled Status after Permanent Residence obtained in April 2018

Post by blondiey2k » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:19 pm

I am a French national and obtained Permanent Residence in April 2018. I have two questions:

1. When is the latest I can apply for Settled Status (as I understand my Permanent Residence document will cease to be valid in future?)

2. I have spent quite a lot of time outside the UK since April 2018 - will this affect my application for settled status?

Thank you in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Settled Status after Permanent Residence obtained in April 2018

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:58 am

Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... atus-means
1. 30 June 2021
2. Quote from guidance: If you do not have 5 years’ continuous residence when you apply, you’ll usually get pre-settled status. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:13 pm

blondiey2k wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:19 pm
2. I have spent quite a lot of time outside the UK since April 2018 - will this affect my application for settled status?
If you have retained PR, this will not be a problem in law. You may have to find evidence that you have not lost PR by a 2-year absence.

blondiey2k
Newly Registered

Post by blondiey2k » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Richard W wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:13 pm
If you have retained PR, this will not be a problem in law. You may have to find evidence that you have not lost PR by a 2-year absence.
Thank you very much. I read guidance on this website saying I could have 5 years' absence: https://www.freemovement.org.uk/how-to- ... nce_or_ILR

"The Home Office will, however, also need to confirm that their permanent residence status has not lapsed through absence of more than five consecutive years; or indefinite leave to remain has not lapsed through absence of more than two consecutive years."

I am just wondering therefore how this works if I would lose PR after 2 years absence?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:35 pm

My mistake. Sorry. I had assumed that one could only have a 'documented right of permanent residence' if one had a right of permanent residence. Even if I had been right, you would probably have had 5 years continuous residence that would qualify you for settled status.