ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship (online AN form) - english language query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lr001
Newly Registered
India

British citizenship (online AN form) - english language query

Post by lr001 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 pm

Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered already in any post earlier.

I am applying for British citizenship (using online AN form) and I have a query regarding the "English language requirement".
  • I applied for my original (initial) Tier 2 General visa in Aug 2013, as part of which I had submitted by Bachelor's degree which was taught in English. The degree however was earned in India i.e. non majority English nation and was not certified by UK NARIC in 2013 but was awarded points as per the PBS based calculator (which was the norm back then).
  • I applied for my settlement (ILR - Indefinite Leave to Remain) in Sep 2018 and for that application also I used the same degree without it being certified by UK NARIC. I also did not take the B1 level test for my ILR application. My settlement was granted on the basis that my Bachelor's degree was used as part of original Tier 2 General application.
Can the Guru's/experts, please confirm if I can submit the same Bachelor's degree without it being certified by UK NARIC for my citizenship application (same as used during original Tier 2 application and ILR application) ? If yes, I am also assuming that I do not need to give the B1 level test in that case.

Thanks

kg_1218

Re: British citizenship (online AN form) - english language query

Post by kg_1218 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi Ir001

I'm also in the same situation but I was on Tier1 general. It is really confusing whether it is ok to go with Degree certificate (as we proved in our previous application) or we should get a letter from NARIC (or B1 exam).

AN guidance https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf

It states that (Page 18 under Non-majority English-speaking countries):

If you have a degree that was taught or researched in a non-majority
English speaking country, you must provide:
• your degree certificate
• an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUAL) from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification
• an English language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC, which will confirm that the degree was taught in English

and also mentioned that (Page 20):

If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of
language by obtaining a B1 level qualification and life in the UK for settlement, by
applying on or after 28 October 2013, you do not have to demonstrate it again.

I've applied after 28 Oct 2013 but not with B1 level qualification.

Having said that, there is another link from HO.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf

It states that (Page 15 under Evidence from NARIC):

An applicant must provide an AQUALS or a statement of comparability from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification. Where the Page 16 of 29 Published for Home Office staff on 17 January 2020 qualification was obtained in a non-majority English-speaking country, an ELPS or an English language assessment (ELA) is also required. However, you do not need to see additional confirmation from NARIC where the:
• Home Office have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted
• degree was awarded by a UK university

I believe it looks like we dont need a NARIC letter as HO previously accepted our degree qualification.

I think it would be good if Gurus express their views on this.

Thanks

lr001
Newly Registered
India

Post by lr001 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi kg_1218,

I thought there would be others in same boat, so good to hear from you.

I have been through the same guidance documents (during my own research) and seems like we should be able to use our degree (without any naric certification) for the application but just want to be sure if someone has tried out the same.

There is also guidance here # https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... h-language. If you look under section "Met requirement in a previous grant of leave' point 13, 14 that also suggests if you have met requirement for english language previously you should be granted the same again.

But to be double sure, waiting for the Gurus to express their views on this.

Thanks

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi Ir001

I think the guidance you mentioned is for Tier1/2 extension, I dont think it is applicable for ILR/Naturalisation.

lr001
Newly Registered
India

Post by lr001 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:05 am

Hi kg_1218

Yeps you are correct, that guidance seems only for extension and leave to remain in some cases.
Anyway we need to wait for Guru's to help us with our scenario.

If you get any updates on our original query do let me know and ill do the same.

Thanks.

Xterra
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by Xterra » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:44 am

Hi, I went through this process recently. My immigration history is as follows :Tier 1 General (June 2011) -> ILR (June 2016). I have used same qualification for English language for Tier 1 and ILR without the need for NARIC.

However, when I completed the naturalization application, one of the supporting document requested was NARIC certification. Hence I provided this.
You could complete your application (without submitting) and refer to the check list at the end.
Hope this helps.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Xterra,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yep, I've seen the checklist at the end but there is a note:

"From the list of documents below, provide as many as you can. Tick each document to confirm that you have read the requirement, even if you cannot send it."

I think HO not asking us to send everything listed, we can send a covering letter to explain about english requirement. Anyway god only knows whether it is mandatory to send NARIC/B1 level event it was proved in earlier applications.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Many members have posted that they have specifically been contacted by HO weeks after submission, to send the evidence of meeting the English and LIUK test, even if used for ILR. This causes even more of a delay.

Some have been refused for not provided the evidence when they applied.

Note that it is your responsibility to submit everything to prove you meet the requirements. HO do not have to chase you for evidence and often do not.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks CR001. Could you let me know your views on the below notes:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf

It states that (Page 15 under Evidence from NARIC):

An applicant must provide an AQUALS or a statement of comparability from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification. Where the Page 16 of 29 Published for Home Office staff on 17 January 2020 qualification was obtained in a non-majority English-speaking country, an ELPS or an English language assessment (ELA) is also required. However, you do not need to see additional confirmation from NARIC where the:
• Home Office have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted
• degree was awarded by a UK university

Xterra
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by Xterra » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:06 pm

kg_1218 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:12 pm
Hi Xterra,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yep, I've seen the checklist at the end but there is a note:

"From the list of documents below, provide as many as you can. Tick each document to confirm that you have read the requirement, even if you cannot send it."

I think HO not asking us to send everything listed, we can send a covering letter to explain about english requirement. Anyway god only knows whether it is mandatory to send NARIC/B1 level event it was proved in earlier applications.
I would get NARIC because the checklist mention this requirement and it takes approximately 3 weeks to turnaround. If HO requests to submit this evidence within less than this timeframe, you'd risk getting your application rejected. You need to weigh the risk of losing £1.3k vs paying £100 ish for NARIC.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 pm

To be honest I still not convinced myself. I know it is a risk.

OK, another try, I've looked at AN paper form (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -10-19.pdf) and see below:

Knowledge of language/life in the UK
1.22 How do you intend to satisfy the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language
and life in the UK? See section 8 in the accompanying Booklet AN.
Have you passed the Life in the UK test? Yes No
Enter your Life in the UK test unique reference number:
And either
I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, that is on
the Home Office’s list of recognised tests and was taken at an approved test centre (go to
question 1.23).
Or
I have obtained an academic qualification (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD) in the
United Kingdom.
Or
I have obtained an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a majority
English speaking country and:
• an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) from UK NARIC confirming the
qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification
Or
an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a non-majority English
speaking country and both:
• an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) from UK NARIC confirming the
• English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC showing that the degree
was taught in English
Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013.

Or
I am a national of a majority English speaking country. (You must check the list of
acceptable countries that are considered “a majority English speaking country”, to meet
this requirement).
Or
I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my age.

So it clearly (bold text) mentioned if you met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013, I dont think you need a NARIC letter.

I understand online form checklist bit confusing but the above one is pretty clear.

What do you guys think?

Xterra
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by Xterra » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm

kg_1218 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 pm
To be honest I still not convinced myself. I know it is a risk.

OK, another try, I've looked at AN paper form (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -10-19.pdf) and see below:

Knowledge of language/life in the UK
1.22 How do you intend to satisfy the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language
and life in the UK? See section 8 in the accompanying Booklet AN.
Have you passed the Life in the UK test? Yes No
Enter your Life in the UK test unique reference number:
And either
I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, that is on
the Home Office’s list of recognised tests and was taken at an approved test centre (go to
question 1.23).
Or
I have obtained an academic qualification (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD) in the
United Kingdom.
Or
I have obtained an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a majority
English speaking country and:
Or
an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a non-majority English
speaking country and both:
• English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC showing that the degree
was taught in English
Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013.

Or
I am a national of a majority English speaking country. (You must check the list of
acceptable countries that are considered “a majority English speaking country”, to meet
this requirement).
Or
I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my age.

So it clearly (bold text) mentioned if you met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013, I dont think you need a NARIC letter.

I understand online form checklist bit confusing but the above one is pretty clear.

What do you guys think?
I believe you need to read the line in bold in context to the guidance (see page 17/18)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance

"If you met the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the
UK when you applied for settlement by having a B1 level test you do not have to
demonstrate it again. (People who applied for settlement on or after 28 October
2013 needed to have had a B1 level qualification.)"

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 am

B1 level is also one of english requirements option which is 1st in the list, so it is either this or that (not both) I think :roll: .

i.e.
question 1.23).

lr001
Newly Registered
India

Post by lr001 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks Xterra, CR001 for your responses.

kg_1218
I did not want to take undue risk and/or delay my application hence I just gave the B1 test this past Saturday and will use that to meet the english language requirement.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Thanks lr001 for the update. I think I may also need to go for B1 test. I hope it should be easier to clear and get the certificate faster than NARIC. I think it is 'B1 SELT – GESE Grade 5' (https://www.trinitycollege.com/qualific ... SE-grade-5)??