ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian driving license

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anasjamil2

Indian driving license

Post by anasjamil2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:49 am

Hi Experts,

I moved to UK 10 years ago, I have OCI and British Passport. My old Indian driving license is expired. I will be visiting India this year, what do I need to drive there?

As far as I have googled there could be two possibilities:

1. Apply from UK for international license: problem with this is if a cop stops me in India he will see a different license and may get confused and things may not go normal.

2. Apply in India during my visit: first I will have to pass fitness test then go to RTO pass another driving test. So it will take few days or weeks to obtain and by that time my visit will end.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

jojo001

Re: Indian driving license

Post by jojo001 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:26 am

Just get an international license. Cops in india know this very well. Even if the lower ranking one stops you does not know about it his superior will do.

It's also far less likely for them to demand bribes etc when you are on a international one.

xebec
Australia

Re: Indian driving license

Post by xebec » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 am

You can drive on a UK licence but you will need to have an International Driving Permit to accompany it, else you will get fined if caught.

How long ago did your licence expire? Some states offer online renewals. Best to check with a driving school if you can renew your licence and they might be able to help you out. At most you would need to get a medical test an hour's test with some forms to be filled.