ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport : Married name or Maiden name?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Post2
Newly Registered
Mood:

British Passport : Married name or Maiden name?

Post by Post2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi Guys.

I know there are a few topics and conversations going on about this but they are quite dated now as I believe there have been new updates on this.

I just got my citizenship approval letter through under my maiden/birth last name. Here is the problem:

My driving license, Msc degree, Bank cards, Credit cards, professional qualifications, my name on our house, my name on my loans ..... They are allllll under my marriage last name! ( Living in the UK)

So - here I am going to attend the ceremony in a month's time and apply for my first British passport.

The problem is I'm going abroad for a year to work - in my profession, I'm known as my married name.

I've been advised that now I have to use my birth name for my British passport! I really don't want too! Plus it is very complicated and almost impossible to change my last name in my birth country.

ANY advice would be much appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport : Married name or Maiden name?

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 pm

If you don't change your foreign passport, HMPO won't issue you a passport in a different name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Re: British Passport : Married name or Maiden name?

Post by Richard W » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:24 pm

And they shouldn't issue you one in your maiden name!

An embassy letter saying you can't change your name is your best hope. Remember, British citizens don't have a right to a passport. If we want to re-enter the UK, we just have to avoid the ports.