ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Exceeded number of working hours under Tier 4 Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nithindascp
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bangladesh

Exceeded number of working hours under Tier 4 Visa

Post by nithindascp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi,

I am an international student studying in UK under Tier 4 Visa. I have been here since one year and I have been working part-time jobs since the last 10 months. I worked for 4 months as a care worker for an agency. I told the agency that I am a student and can't work more than 20 hours a week, however my agency told me that it's okay to work more than 20 hours a week and it must not exceed 80 hours in a month. I worked there for about 4 months and did 2 shifts in a week, leading upto 24 hours a week. Apart from me, there were many other international students working in this way.

6 months ago, I got a another job and moved there. I work similar hours here. Once I exceeded 80 hours and went up to 84 hours a month. My friend went upto 90. My manager told me that if we get any letter from the Home Office, they will speak to them as the extra hours were part of training. He also told me that an extra 3 or 4 hours won't matter. Me and my friend work about 82 - 88 hours a month and this has been the case since the last six months. We haven't had any issues so far, but I am just a bit concerned. Do note that the company we work for is a well established and renowned organisation.

I remember a friend of mine telling me he once worked 130 hours a month and got a letter from the home office. The letter simply stated if he wished to call and let them know why he had worked that many hours, he may do so. That's all. Sometime we get bonus payments when our company wins any award in competitions.

I am planning for my second masters after my course and then apply for a job here in UK. I was just a bit concerned about whether exceeding the working hours will affect my visa extension in the future and if it will affect me getting a tier 2 visa if I get a job here.

Also, my company pays me monthly. How will the Home office get to know if we exceeded our hours? In case they do somehow find out, what will happen? I haven't heard of anyone getting deported or visa cancelled due to working more than 20 hours a week and honestly, 80% of the international students I know work a lot more than 20 hours.

Kindly answer my queries please.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Exceeded number of working hours under Tier 4 Visa

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Hello

As with any visa, the only answer I can provide you with is: stick to terms of your visa.

Yes, there is a widespread of abuse regarding the hours worked under Tier 4. This doesn't make it acceptable. If one day the Home Office decides to factor this more seriously in the equation, you will find yourself in a very difficult situation as there is no way to appeal against a breach like that.