ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Document checklist - what else do I need?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pan13

Professional referee - please help me out

Post by Pan13 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:45 pm

I am considering applying for British Citizenship and have looked at all requirements needed. Money and tests are matter of sitting with the books, money not a problem either.

I may struggle with professional referee. I know retired teacher, post office workers but they do not deal with signing documents or taking bio metric information. Both of them I know for more than 5 years. Will any of them suffice?

I looked the forum up and couldn't find anything related to this so I made a thread. If there is a similar thread please post link, thanks.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Re: Professional referee - please help me out

Post by hermanthegerman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Teacher is on the list of approved professions so should be fine. There are differing views on if they can be retired including on this forum so if you want to make 100% then try and find a professional that is still working but if you can not then I think it would be reasonable to give it a go with the retired teacher providing they have known you for at least 3 years etc. You will also need a second referee and you could use the post office worker in that way.

I am not sure what you mean by "they do not deal with signing documents or taking bio metric information". Your referees will need to give you their current and potentially past address and their passport number and then fill out and sign a brief from that you will need to hand to them. They do not need to submit any biometric information.

Pan13

No professional referee - would my application be approved without second referee?

Post by Pan13 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:38 pm

I live in this country 15 years and it just happen that I honestly don't know anyone on the list of acceptable professional referees. It's just purely down to my lifestyle. And even if I do, it's someone who I see purely on professional basis once in a month or even less, who don't really have a good knowledge about me or person who is retired. Mind that retired people can only qualify IF guidance says SO for example retired member of armed forces.

I don't want suddenly to go out and look for a 'friend' just so I can get a referee because this is not how this works.

Would an honest explanation of why I can't get a 2nd referee get me through application process?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: No professional referee - would my application be approved without second referee?

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:43 pm

Hello

No, it won't work.

Think that also need 2 referees for the passport. They could be the same as the ones for the citizenship application. But you need 2 referees. They can be your manager, colleagues, friends... etc. But you need 2 no matter what.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: No professional referee - would my application be approved without second referee?

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:45 pm

You do not need a professional referee who you only see in a professional capacity.

It can be a friend or colleague who is on the list of professions.

It is mandatory to have 2 referees for naturalisation.

For a passport you need ONE professional referee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Pan13

Post by Pan13 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:45 pm
You do not need a professional referee who you only see in a professional capacity.

It can be a friend or colleague who is on the list of professions.

It is mandatory to have 2 referees for naturalisation.

For a passport you need ONE professional referee.
That's my problem I don't know anyone even as a friend or colleague, whatever.

I can get 2 UK passport holders as referees no problem.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Don't you have a religious minister or a friend who is self employed and a director of their own ltd company???
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Pan13

Post by Pan13 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Hello

No, it won't work.

Think that also need 2 referees for the passport. They could be the same as the ones for the citizenship application. But you need 2 referees. They can be your manager, colleagues, friends... etc. But you need 2 no matter what.
So 2 friends with UK passport but no in profession listed would help instead?

Pan13

Post by Pan13 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:51 pm
Don't you have a religious minister or a friend who is self employed and a director of their own ltd company???
I know some self employed people but they are not listed.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Pan13 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
A self employed person who is a director of their own VAT registered limited company, is on the list.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Pan13

Post by Pan13 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:56 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:55 pm
Pan13 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
A self employed person who is a director of their own VAT registered limited company, is on the list.
I already looked into it. Self employed person is different from manager of registered VAT company.

Pan13

Post by Pan13 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Either way, thanks guys for help. I know you been trying. But looks like my application is going nowhere at least for a while.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm

In most countries, it's not possible to apply for citizenship or a passport without going in person facing the authorities. In the UK, you can get naturalised then get a passport without seeing anybody (nearly!). That's very peculiar. As a safeguard against forgeries and identity theft, they require referees to countersign your application. It's not a perfect system but it adds a layer of security.

Now, if you are totally isolated, you won't find anyone who can vouch for you. The Home Office won't drop the requirement that you need referees for naturalisation and passport. Actually you even need a referee for a driving license!

I came from abroad. I am not as socially inserted as someone who is born here. But anytime I needed a referee, I asked either at work or within an charity a belong to. People in the UK are used to that and are usually happy to help.

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Pan13 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:08 pm
Either way, thanks guys for help. I know you been trying. But looks like my application is going nowhere at least for a while.
What are your lifestyle circumstances? If you are or have been an employee, surely you will have made some connections and you could ask a manager or a CEO. It doesn't have to be your current employer as long as they have known you for at least three years from the date on the application. Your relationship could have been on friendship terms or professional dealings - it doesn't matter.

How about a dentist? The topic randomly came up when I saw my dentist last year and they said they get asked very often from first passport applicants and once in a while from naturalisation applicants. They said most of the practitioners in the practice are usually happy to help people out, despite sometimes having reservations wrt naturalisation applicants (since referee's personal details, such as address history etc, are revealed to the applicant).

Medical doctors were removed from the list a while back as per their request, but still appear to be accepted, provided they also know the applicant as a friend (i.e. outside of professional dealings with them). I can attest to that as my application was approved with a doctor friend acting as a referee.

I do, however, agree that the professional referee requirement is rather ridiculous. Many people may not have friends who are considered professional and those who they've only had professional dealings with might be less inclined to agree being a referee.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Pan13 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:38 pm
I live in this country 15 years and it just happen that I honestly don't know anyone on the list of acceptable professional referees. It's just purely down to my lifestyle. And even if I do, it's someone who I see purely on professional basis once in a month or even less, who don't really have a good knowledge about me or person who is retired. Mind that retired people can only qualify IF guidance says SO for example retired member of armed forces.

I don't want suddenly to go out and look for a 'friend' just so I can get a referee because this is not how this works.

Would an honest explanation of why I can't get a 2nd referee get me through application process?
Part of getting permanent residence and citizenship in the UK is the ability of an immigrant to integrate in society. You will not be doing yourself any good writing to the HO that you do not know enough people to stand as referees for you after living here for 15 years.
I understand that we all live different lifestyles. However, as a minimum, you should be able to provide two referees. Think deep, and you will see that you know some people who can it for you. Minister of religion can act as referees (if you attend mosques or church, then you can get a minister to do one for you).
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Pan13

Post by Pan13 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm
Pan13 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Part of getting permanent residence and citizenship in the UK is the ability of an immigrant to integrate in society. You will not be doing yourself any good writing to the HO that you do not know enough people to stand as referees for you after living here for 15 years.
I understand that we all live different lifestyles. However, as a minimum, you should be able to provide two referees. Think deep, and you will see that you know some people who can it for you. Minister of religion can act as referees (if you attend mosques or church, then you can get a minister to do one for you).
I am able to provide 100s of referees with different nationalities, backgrounds and so on. Just not the ones that are on the list.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Your professional referee can also be of any nationality and does not have to be British.

What about someone who is a personal license holder?? This is someone that owns an off licence store for example.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Pan13

Post Office Official - Citizenship referee

Post by Pan13 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 pm

I know someone who works at Post Office for over 5 years, that person works behind the counter not a cleaner or anything like that.

Would that class as PO official? I asked google but couldn't find proper answer.

Pan13

Application Process

Post by Pan13 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:28 pm

OK so, I passed LIUK, TRINITY SELT B1 and got 2 referees. I am doing application online.

Got letter from employer confirming my employment for the last 13 years and so on.

What's my next step?

As I understand I need to take photocopies of all documents and upload them on the website.

So whats after that? Whats with bio metrics? Will i get a letter asking to do it?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Application Process

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Correct you upload the documents.
When you have submitted and paid online you will be presented with the options for online booking the UKVCAS appointment where the biometrics are taken. There will be no letter asking you to do biometrics.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Pan13

Re: Application Process

Post by Pan13 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:53 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Correct you upload the documents.
When you have submitted and paid online you will be presented with the options for online booking the UKVCAS appointment where the biometrics are taken. There will be no letter asking you to do biometrics.
Thanks

Pan13

Few general questions

Post by Pan13 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:14 am

1. I am EU citizen and I have blue ILR card which I made back in 2016 and then in Feb 2019 settled status granted. Can or should I use the blue ILR rather than settlement for the application? From what I read on application they need the blue ILR copy anyway?

2. My letter from employer confirming my presence for the last 5 years require recipient address. What should I put in? I am applying online and looked upon internet and cant find anything.

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Few general questions

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:33 am

Pan13 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:14 am
1. I am EU citizen and I have blue ILR card which I made back in 2016 and then in Feb 2019 settled status granted. Can or should I use the blue ILR rather than settlement for the application? From what I read on application they need the blue ILR copy anyway?
Does your blue card state that you have Permanent Residence (not just Residence) - if it's PR you can apply now with that. Or of course you could use your settled status as you have waited the 12 months. You don't need both - either use PR or Settled Status.
2. My letter from employer confirming my presence for the last 5 years require recipient address. What should I put in? I am applying online and looked upon internet and cant find anything.
My employer stated "To whom it may concern".
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Few general questions

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am

Or if employer insists on a postal address:
UK Visas & Immigration, The Capital Building, 6 Union St, Liverpool L3 9PP

Pan13

Another question for refferies

Post by Pan13 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am

NOTE TO ADMIN: Please do not merge my threads, although it regards same issue, I keep on asking different options, my last thread was left without answer because of merge.

I am keep coming back to square one. When I thought I got a ref turns out it wouldn't be accepted.

So what about Engineer (with professional qualifactions)

I know a solution delivery engineer (IT branch) would he qualify? He isn't a member of any professional body but got professional qualifications.