ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing Place of Birth

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Captainf
Afghanistan

Changing Place of Birth

Post by Captainf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi.
I would like to know, is it possible to change one's place of birth after citizenship? Has anyone gone through this process? What are the steps to be taken?
Thank you.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Changing Place of Birth

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Hello

I don't think it's doable in the UK.

In Switzerland, they hide the place of birth and replace it by "Place of origin" which is the place of residence when the citizenship was granted.

By leaving the place of birth on UK passports, anyone can guess the original citizenship of that British citizen and this can cause issues in some cases.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm
Hello

I don't think it's doable in the UK.

In Switzerland, they hide the place of birth and replace it by "Place of origin" which is the place of residence when the citizenship was granted.

By leaving the place of birth on UK passports, anyone can guess the original citizenship of that British citizen and this can cause issues in some cases.
This is a question in the ireland sub forum :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm

If you were born outside Ireland, then your place of birth is the country where you were born. How can you change it and why do you want to change it?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:43 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm
If you were born outside Ireland, then your place of birth is the country where you were born. How can you change it and why do you want to change it?
Afghanistan if the flag the user has chosen is accurate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alexkiran
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by alexkiran » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:28 pm

I'm not the original poster, but I was interested in the same thing a few years ago.

Long story short, my parents were working in Syria for 3 years in the late 70s. That is the place where I was born. In fact, I'm not a Syrian national, as well as my parents. But in my Irish passport, I have the word Syria as a place of birth.

For the last few years, I got all the possible troubles literally from every place where my passport had been required... US trips, Irish banks, etc. All of the issues were based on the fact of my place of birth in spite I'm not a Syrian national, never lived there, have zero connections and even my appearance is purely European.

I didn't find any solution and I'm not sure such a solution might exist. The place of birth is a fact, so how can you change it?