ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My Friend applied for Naturalization (PR Route) got this reply from HO

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Evicra
Member of Standing
Pakistan

My Friend applied for Naturalization (PR Route) got this reply from HO

Post by Evicra » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Reply from HO

"I refer to your application for naturalisation as a British citizen. One of the requirements for citizenship is that the applicant is of good character. ‘Good character’ is not defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 but the applicant is expected to have shown due regard for the laws of this country. Where an applicant has not been compliant with UK Immigration laws in the ten year period prior to the date of an application the application will normally be refused.

This is explained in Booklet AN which accompanies the application form for naturalisation and in the Home Office staff instructions published on our website (go to - Policy and law > Staff Guidance, instructions and country information > Nationality instructions > Volume 1 > Chapter 18 > Annex D Paragraph 9.7 (b).

According to our records, you were in the UK without leave to remain under the immigration laws between 29/10/2008 when your Entry Clearance visa expired and 07/03/2011 when you married an EEA national. It would therefore appear that you were not compliant with UK immigration laws during this period and may not meet the good character requirement for naturalisation as part of this period falls within the last ten years.
In order that we may give further consideration to your application, please complete the enclosed questionnaire and return it to us with the appropriate documentary evidence.

You must reply via email to NationalityFurtherInformationRequests@homeoffice.gov.uk by 16/03/2020.
The documents / information are required to demonstrate to the Secretary of State that the requirements for citizenship are met. Failure to reply to this letter by the date given will result in the application being refused.

Yours sincerely,
"
Please answer each question and provide documentary evidence as detailed below. If there is not enough space, please continue on a separate sheet.

Information Requested

1.What steps did you take to regularise your stay during the period in question?

Please provide copies of any available correspondence

2.Where did you live during this period and who else lived there?

Please provide all addresses in full

3.Who was responsible for paying your accommodation costs (rent, utility bills etc)?

Please provide any available supporting evidence, eg utility bills, tenancy agreements, rent statements, mortgage statements etc

4.When and where did you work during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from employers, P60s/P45s, statements of account if self-employed

5.When and where did you study during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from colleges, certificates/qualifications

6.What benefits did you receive during this period?

Please provide evidence eg notification or award, schedules of payment

7.Did you receive funds from any other source during this period?

Please provide evidence, eg bank statements, receipts. If supported by partner/family member, original evidence of their ability to fund such support will also be required

8.Is there any other information that you wish to provide that may be relevant to your application and the assessment of your ability to meet the good character requirement?

----------------------------
my friend came to UK may 2008 on business visa which expired in October 2008,
in 2011 he got EEa Spouse visa for 5 years. then in December 2018 he got PR, now after 1 year he appied for naturalisation and he got above reply from home office with a questionier . please can some one advise what to do in this scanairo.
his daughter was born in november 2010 .
why home office is asking fro last 10 years? please advise.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: My Friend applied for Naturalization (PR Route) got this reply from HO

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:42 pm

He should have waited till 2021, 10 years from date of marriage. HO clearly states in the guidance notes and good character guide that you must have 10 years of legal stay to qualify for citizenship. So overstaying or having a period of illegal stay counts again him and if he worked during this period of no legal stay, it also counts against him. This is regardless of the route to PR or ILR.

british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... 05532.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Evicra
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by Evicra » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:52 pm

thank you for your reply.
what he should do in this scenario. is it going leave any negative impact on his PR. can refusal be avoided somehow ?
thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Evicra wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:52 pm
what he should do in this scenario.
Reapply after March 2021.
Evicra wrote:
can refusal be avoided somehow ?
Yes, by applying after March 2021
Evicra wrote:
is it going leave any negative impact on his PR.
No negative impact apart from losing the naturalisation fees.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Evicra
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by Evicra » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:11 pm

thank you