ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizens by descent or otherwise than by descent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zeetopchoice
Newly Registered

British citizens by descent or otherwise than by descent

Post by zeetopchoice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:37 am

Hey All,

I am after some advise for a friend living in Hong Kong and hold British citizenship under section 4b.

He wants to apply British citizenship for his daughter but not sure if he falls under

- British Citizenship by descent

or

- British Citizenship otherwise than by descent

You can view his certificate here: https://ibb.co/C8mQyJt

Thanks in advance for any help.

vinny

Re: British citizens by descent or otherwise than by descent

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am

Registration as a British citizen: other British nationals
Registration under section 4B gives British citizenship by descent.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zeetopchoice
Newly Registered

Post by zeetopchoice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:47 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am
Registration as a British citizen: other British nationals
Registration under section 4B gives British citizenship by descent.
Thanks for your reply.

Does this mean he can't automatically apply for British Citizenship for his daughter born in Hong Kong?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:42 am

zeetopchoice wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:47 am
Does this mean he can't automatically apply for British Citizenship for his daughter born in Hong Kong?
It means that his daughter (and any other children not born in the UK) are not automatically British citizens.

Children under the age of 18 can be registered as British citizens, provided certain residential (in the UK) and other conditions are met.

So, how old is the daughter? Has your friend ever lived in the UK or can he relocate to the UK with his family?

As an aside, as he was born in Pakistan, your friend would have been a Pakistani citizen by birth (Pakistan being the only country in the Old World to still implement jus soli) and therefore I am not sure that he could have been validly registered as a British citizen under Section 4B.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.