ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bankruptcy and Spouse visa application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

illieny
Newly Registered

Bankruptcy and Spouse visa application

Post by illieny » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Hello all,
I hope someone here can help me as I have searched everywhere for definitive answer.

I am a US citizen married to a UK citizen and applying for a spouse visa.

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in the US and received a full discharge 3 years ago.
I have listed this bankruptcy in previous visa applications (first as a student and then charity worker)
so it is a matter of record.

Will this be used against us and my application, as it shows "poor character"
I have read different things ...also that it can ultimately affect indefinite leave to remain applications.

Many thanks!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Bankruptcy and Spouse visa application

Post by seagul » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:22 pm

illieny wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:51 pm
Hello all,
I hope someone here can help me as I have searched everywhere for definitive answer.

I am a US citizen married to a UK citizen and applying for a spouse visa.

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in the US and received a full discharge 3 years ago.
I have listed this bankruptcy in previous visa applications (first as a student and then charity worker)
so it is a matter of record.

Will this be used against us and my application, as it shows "poor character"
I have read different things ...also that it can ultimately affect indefinite leave to remain applications.

Many thanks!
No it wont affect and plus you are already discharged from bankruptcy but just declare honestly.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

illieny
Newly Registered

Post by illieny » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 am

Thank you so much!
We are including a copy of my court issued discharge document and a letter explaining how the debt was incurred (running a non profit animal rescue charity) for good measure.

Do I understand correctly that it could be an issue when I eventually apply for ILR? Or citizenship?

Thanks again :)

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:22 pm

illieny wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 am
Thank you so much!
We are including a copy of my court issued discharge document and a letter explaining how the debt was incurred (running a non profit animal rescue charity) for good measure.

Do I understand correctly that it could be an issue when I eventually apply for ILR? Or citizenship?
As far as I know, it won't affect you to qualify for ILR (considering you'd meet the other requirements and declare it).

For the citizenship and the good character requirement, I guess it may not affect you either, as it happened once and if it doesn't happen again while you're residing in the UK , I think it's unlikely (specially if you've been honest and declared it in every application).

illieny
Newly Registered

Post by illieny » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Many thanks, I appreciate your response!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:42 pm

illieny wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 am

Thanks again :)
Although you are asking a future question but still planning far in advance on immigration matters is a good idea. You can read about it at following guidance especially on page 36 onward. Also keep an eye on rules which changes so frequently and maybe these are further tightened up in future.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.