ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gap year work for FBR citizen... and questions re: N. Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alicegoodall
Newly Registered
South Africa

Gap year work for FBR citizen... and questions re: N. Ireland

Post by alicegoodall » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 am

My 18 yr old daughter has always wanted to do a gap year or two in Ireland, work riding in a Showjumping or Eventing yard. Her FBR application was submitted last year. She has just received the news that she has been selected for a South African team going to compete in Northern Ireland in July. She has some savings, but cannot afford TWO trips to Ireland, so the only way she can take up her place on the team is to stay on afterwards and work in Rep. of Ireland. We contacted the embassy, and they expedited her application, and we received word that she is now a citizen. :D :D :D We are just waiting for the doc and then we can apply for her passport.

She is furiously applying for jobs online, and I am furiously trying to get info to get all these pieces into place so we can make a decision on the team by next week. I have googled and scoured the online info, but a lot of info is conflicting, so can I pl ask my questions here?

1. As a Irish citizen, does she need a visa for N. Ireland?
2. is travel accross the border w N. Ireland free, or strictly regulated?
3. When she arrives in Ireland, she shd apply for a PPS number and a card, right?
4. she will likely be earning minimum wage, so she shd be able to get a medical card, right?
5. Her medical card will entitle her to free emergency medical care, right?
6. Given that she is in a "dangerous" job (riding horses) are there exclusions to the medical care?
7. Does she need private insurance?
8. as a citizen, she will be entitled to open a bank account, get a driver's licence, etc, right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Gap year work for FBR citizen... and questions re: N. Ireland

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:19 am

No, not if she has an Irish passport. If she only has an SA passport, then she would need a UK visa.
Not sure what you mean by 'free'. There is currently no border control, but again, imperative that she uses an Irish passport if entering the UK. She needs a visa if she is using her SA passport.
3. When she arrives in Ireland, she shd apply for a PPS number and a card, right?
For the Republic of Ireland yes. Northern Ireland is part of the UK and has different requirements and rules.
4. she will likely be earning minimum wage, so she shd be able to get a medical card, right?
For Republic of Ireland??
8. as a citizen, she will be entitled to open a bank account, get a driver's licence, etc, right?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Gap year work for FBR citizen... and questions re: N. Ireland

Post by littlerr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:49 am

No

There’s no border control but prepare to be randomly checked at an immigration checkpoint. Being a frequent traveller I’ve never been stopped, but I always bring my passport with me in case I do.

PPS Number is a number. There is no card. You can apply for a Public Service Card but it’s not mandatory.

No. Medical cards are mainly for those who do not work full time, or only one or two family member has work in a large family. In short, if she lives alone and she earns minimal wage as a full time basis, she will not be eligible for a medical card.

5. Her medical card will entitle her to free emergency medical care, right?
Doesn’t apply to her. You should buy her private insurance instead.

6. Given that she is in a "dangerous" job (riding horses) are there exclusions to the medical care?
This is the responsibility of her employer.

7. Does she need private insurance?
She doesn’t but she should have one. Basic coverage from employer is likely to be minimal.

Yes. She needs a proof of address first - normally in the form of a rental agreement and/or employment letter.