ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation through domestic violence ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Bobbybob56

Naturalisation through domestic violence ILR

Post by Bobbybob56 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:31 am
1. Yes you will have to wait for 5 years before applying for citizenship. If you are divorced you can't use the 3 year British spouse route

2. No issue.
Hi,

I just received my ILR via DV route, I came here in the UK June 2017 as a spouse of a BC, can I apply next year in June 2020?

Do I have to submit proof of income if I am still studying? I don't have any work at the moment and will still be studying for the next 2 years. Do I have to prove to the HO about my source of income or any income or salary requirement for applying for British Citizenship?

I am still studying at the moment, do you think I am allowed to apply for naturalisation? If so what are the requirements needed?

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation through domestic violence ILR

Post by secret.simon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:45 am

Are you still married to your British citizen spouse?

If yes, and you can produce proof of his British citizenship (his birth certificate or passport), then yes, you can.

Otherwise, you would have to wait until you complete five years of residence in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:36 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:45 am
Are you still married to your British citizen spouse?

If yes, and you can produce proof of his British citizenship (his birth certificate or passport), then yes, you can.

Otherwise, you would have to wait until you complete five years of residence in the UK.
Hi Simon,

Thank you for your advice.

Yes I am still married to him. The thing is I haven't stayed here in the UK for 3 years as I arrived here last June 2017 so it will be next year hopefully.

Do you know if I have to provide proof of income when I submit my application for naturalisation?

Can you tell me what documents should I submit?

Thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:41 am

Yes I am still married to him. The thing is I haven't stayed here in the UK for 3 years as I arrived here last June 2017 so it will be next year hopefully.
If you are still married at that time, then yes you can apply if you meet the requirements.
Do you know if I have to provide proof of income when I submit my application for naturalisation?
No!
Passport(s), LIUK test certificate, English B1, ILR BRP, marriage cert, Spouse passport/naturalisation cert/birth cert, whichever applies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:20 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:41 am
If you are still married at that time, then yes you can apply if you meet the requirements.
No!
Passport(s), LIUK test certificate, English B1, ILR BRP, marriage cert, Spouse passport/naturalisation cert/birth cert, whichever applies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
Thank you so much.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi to all,

I just want to ask if someone can apply for citizenship after staying in the UK for 3 years if I am still married to a british citizen but I am a victim of Domestic Violence and we are no longer together. I have already my ILR and It confuses me because I asked a solicitor with regards to my case and she said I cannot apply for citizenship because we are no longer staying together and we are separated so I cannot claim and use my husband's passport or the marriage certificate for applying for british citizenship and she added that I have to wait until I reach 5 years in the UK before applying for citizenship, Is this true?

Can someone please shed some light and some advise. Thank you in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:30 pm

As long as you are legally married (i.e. not divorced) you can apply under the 3 year residency route, and you have access to husband's passport and the marriage certificate. UKVI will not pass judgement on your marital issues. The solicitor should know that. And also, you are applying in your own right, that is you are independent of your husband (because you have ILR) and he doesn't have to sign or give permission.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:30 pm
As long as you are legally married (i.e. not divorced) you can apply under the 3 year residency route, and you have access to husband's passport and the marriage certificate. UKVI will not pass judgement on your marital issues. The solicitor should know that. And also, you are applying in your own right, that is you are independent of your husband (because you have ILR) and he doesn't have to sign or give permission.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I am filling out the application form but I dont know his address and the system wont let me proceed without putting his address. What should I do?

And I dont have every page of his passport, I only have his passport front page copy, would that be ok?

With regards to the advice of the solicitor, she is really firm that my application for citizenship will be invalid as I need to wait 5 years before I can apply for citizenship,
Do you know someone who applied and granted British citizenship in 3 years route because of DV?

Please advise and thanks again.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Solicitor should support her advice with references to the specific sections in law/regulations.
I am basing my statements on the official guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
No doubt other members may be able to give more advice.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:30 pm

Bobbybob56 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 pm
I am filling out the application form but I dont know his address and the system wont let me proceed without putting his address. What should I do?

And I dont have every page of his passport, I only have his passport front page copy, would that be ok?
As to the passport, I suggest ordering a full birth certificate for him (formally, a certified copy of his entry in the register of births), which was suggested as an alternative by two moderators. You could use that in addition to the passport.

I have no very good suggestion as to the address. Have you tried entering 'Unknown'? (That approach might fail an address verification check during form completion.) Alternatively, consider entering his last known address, and stating that it is his last known address where the form asks for 'other information'.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:17 pm

Richard W wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:30 pm
Bobbybob56 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 pm

As to the passport, I suggest ordering a full birth certificate for him (formally, a certified copy of his entry in the register of births), which was suggested as an alternative by two moderators. You could use that in addition to the passport.

I have no very good suggestion as to the address. Have you tried entering 'Unknown'? (That approach might fail an address verification check during form completion.) Alternatively, consider entering his last known address, and stating that it is his last known address where the form asks for 'other information'.
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your advice. I just want to ask these following questions:

1) Is a copy of his passport would be ok? Or I have to provide his birth certificate? We dont live together anymore so I dont have it. What should I do to request for it?

2) What date is the counting time? Submission of the online application/payment? Or the date when you have your Biometric done?

3) What date do you have to count to qualify for naturalisation? Is it the day you came here in the UK/Or the day the immigration stamped your passport? Or the day of your marriage? As the advice of the solicitor is the day of my marriage for the victim of Domestic Violence to qualify for naturalisation for 3 years if and when I am still married to a British Citizen.

I am really confuse right now.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:11 am

1. Passport is fine.

2. Date of application is the date you submit a d pay online. Biometric appointment date is irrelevant.

3. The qualifying period if married to a British citizen is the 3 years immediately before the date of application. It is irrelevant when you married.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 pm

I think HO wants a copy of all pages of a UK citizen spouse. See here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf

Your spouse’s or civil partner’s current passport or naturalisation/registration certificate showing that he/she is a British citizen. You should provide a complete and full copy of your spouse’s or civil partner’s current passport. Every page in the passport must be copied including the blank pages,

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:41 pm

obormot wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 pm
I think HO wants a copy of all pages of a UK citizen spouse. See here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf

Your spouse’s or civil partner’s current passport or naturalisation/registration certificate showing that he/she is a British citizen. You should provide a complete and full copy of your spouse’s or civil partner’s current passport. Every page in the passport must be copied including the blank pages,
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I do not have his passport as we no longer live together. I only have the copy of the front page but not all pages of his passport.

Could someone please rectify this issue or advice me as I am receiving loads of different information from different individuals and it is confusing.

With regards to English requirement, do you think I still need to pass an English Test even if I have a degree which is taught and examined in English here in the UK?

Thank you in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:01 pm

Realistically, if you don't have all pages of the passport then I would suggest you load the page(s) you have. It's a British passport so details of visa stamps etc may not be important. If you are still not comfortable with this explain the situation in a cover note.
For English your UK degree is sufficient.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 pm

Sorry I was time out with the last post ....

Realistically, if you don't have all pages of the passport then I would suggest you load the page(s) you have. It's a British passport so details of visa stamps etc may not be that important. If you are still not comfortable with this explain the situation in a cover note. I understand the para from the guidance - if you want to be 100% sure then you must get the full document, but if you are not able to locate him or he is not willing to provide then you are stuck, and you have to wait and apply based on five year residency and not relying on his passport.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 pm
Sorry I was time out with the last post ....

Realistically, if you don't have all pages of the passport then I would suggest you load the page(s) you have. It's a British passport so details of visa stamps etc may not be that important. If you are still not comfortable with this explain the situation in a cover note. I understand the para from the guidance - if you want to be 100% sure then you must get the full document, but if you are not able to locate him or he is not willing to provide then you are stuck, and you have to wait and apply based on five year residency and not relying on his passport.
Thank you for your advice. I do apologise for the late response as I have been very busy with work and family and also gathering all the requirements for my application for naturalisation and this pandemic situation happened. To let you all know I have submitted my application for naturalisation however I have something that really worries me;

my ex husband has submitted an application for divorce, granting that the court allows it even though I did not sign anything, will it affect my application for naturalisation?

Could someone please shed some light on this matter. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:14 pm

Divorce proceedings are a civil matter which cannot be held against you, not even under "Good Character". I cannot see any way this could impact your application - which is personal to you.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:14 pm
Divorce proceedings are a civil matter which cannot be held against you, not even under "Good Character". I cannot see any way this could impact your application - which is personal to you.
Thank you so much. Follow up question, since I have submitted my application for naturalisation, is there any possibility that the Home Office might know about the divorce proceedings if and when it will be on its final stage? And my application for naturalisation is awaiting for a decision as this application is for 3 year route which I have to be married to a British Citizen at the time of submission of the application for naturalisation, do you think there is still no impact at all?

Please enlighten me again. Thank you so much.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Many applicants are separated, but still legally married at the time of application, with or without divorce proceedings pending. Proceedings can last many months or even years. Court proceedings are not overseen by the Home Office as far as I know.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:25 pm
Many applicants are separated, but still legally married at the time of application, with or without divorce proceedings pending. Proceedings can last many months or even years. Court proceedings are not overseen by the Home Office as far as I know.
Thank you so much. You have been so helpful.

Bobbybob56

Post by Bobbybob56 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:17 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:25 pm
Hi to all people on this platform,

I just want to let you know that my application for Naturalisation on the basis of Domestic Violence has been successfully granted today -5th of August 2020. I am very happy and very grateful to all people and the people behind this platform who shed some light on my confusion since day 1 when I was applying for ILR SET DV.

Words are not enough to thank you all. Please continue to help people like me by advising them and directing them in the right path.

Once again, thank you so much indeed! I just cant contain my happiness.

To all people who are still waiting for the result, just be patient and keep on praying that your application will be granted. Fingers crossed!!

Thank you so much Lord!!!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Congratulations - I am glad it worked out for you in the end - the whole process is nerve wrecking even for those with relatively simple cases.
So now you'll be waiting for the ceremony and then your very own British passport. Should you have further queries please don't hesitate to ask here again. As you know everyone tries to help whenever possible.
All the best!