ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport validity requirement for Tier - 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ismscc
Newly Registered

passport validity requirement for Tier - 1

Post by ismscc » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 am

Hi there,

Need a little advise.

My passport expires in 2 years from now but the Tier-1 visa is valid for 3 years. Do I have to renew my passport before applying for the visa?

Thanks.

republique
BANNED

Re: passport validity requirement for Tier - 1

Post by republique » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:55 pm

ismscc wrote:Hi there,

Need a little advise.

My passport expires in 2 years from now but the Tier-1 visa is valid for 3 years. Do I have to renew my passport before applying for the visa?

Thanks.
Interesting similarity
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=29703

Post by 1971 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:13 pm

yes oooo. Renew ur passport at the issuing passport office.Shouldn't be a problem to renew ur passport where you are. Just do that before sending it in. If not, ECO will issue visa based on validity date on passport.

~1971.

pyke

Post by pyke » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:04 pm

1971 wrote:yes oooo. Renew ur passport at the issuing passport office.Shouldn't be a problem to renew ur passport where you are. Just do that before sending it in. If not, ECO will issue visa based on validity date on passport.

~1971.
Seriously? Thanks for the info, 1971! I asked VFS and they told me that it wouldn't be a problem. That does make sense though. Has there been a precedent?

For those who have applied, did you all make sure that your passport has at least three years validity when applying?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:07 pm

1971 wrote:If not, ECO will issue visa based on validity date on passport.
If this was to be true, then I guess, anyone whose passport is to expire within 3 years would not be able to apply for Tier 1! And my partner wouldn't have received a 3yr extension either! But fortunately, this isn't the case.

The validity (time duration) of entry clearance or leave to remain on basis of long-term immigration categories (e.g. - HSMP / Tier 1 / multi-year WP etc.) is in accordance with either the immigration rules (e.g.- HSMP / Tier 1) or as per pre-conditions on which the application is based (e.g. - time-specific WP), and *not* as per (remaining) validity of the applicant's passport.

You should apply for a new passport as per the rules and regulations prescribed by the government issuing the passport (e.g. - for an Indian passport, one can apply for a new passport at Indian High Commission only within 1 yr. of its expiry). As for the UK vignette (visa) stamped on your current (or about to expire) passport, see Transfer your visa to a new passport

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:06 am

thank you for the clarification, sushdmehta!

shifi

Re: passport validity requirement for Tier - 1

Post by shifi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:05 am

ismscc wrote:Hi there,

Need a little advise.

Thanks.
Ismscc, My passport expires in 2010 but I got the Tier 1 (renewal) stamped until 2012. should not be an issue as long as it is valid at the time of application. But in the future if you get a new book, you may have to carry both since the valid visa will be in the old book.

So make your decision appropriately.

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Shifi,
Just a doubt. How did u manage to get 4+ yr visa (Expiring in 2012)?
What type of Tier-1 Visa is it?

Thanks

ismscc
Newly Registered

Post by ismscc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:53 pm

many thanks.

jhp

Post by jhp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:40 pm

My partner recently got his tier1 extended until 2011, his passport expires in 2009. This is not a problem at all. Usually passport renewal is done only when you have < 1 yr validity left on your passport.

Preprem
Newly Registered

Post by Preprem » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:25 am

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresi ... opassport/

This page explains how you can have a residence permit transferred from an old passport or travel document to a new one