ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to EU for extended family

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

blackeyed

Re: Moving to EU for extended family

Post by blackeyed » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks Zerubbabel, I completely understand your point. This is the reason I am trying to gather as much information. This forum has been be so helpful and the information provided is invaluable.

I know moving to different country is not a simple task but sometimes no matter how cautiously we take our decision but things dont work out and this is the reason I was asking incase if that happens then can i move to another country after i get the EEA card for me (and/or my parents get it too) and thanks as it looks like it is but will require considerable time, money and effort.

blackeyed

Post by blackeyed » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm

blackeyed wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 pm
Thanks Zerubbabel, I completely understand your point. This is the reason I am trying to gather as much information. This forum has been be so helpful and the information provided is invaluable.

I know moving to different country is not a simple task but sometimes no matter how cautiously we take our decision but things dont work out and this is the reason I was asking incase if that happens then can i move to another country after i get the EEA card for me (and/or my parents get it too) and thanks as it looks like it is but will require considerable time, money and effort.
Sorry I should have clarified what I meant was - Can i move to another country after i get the EEA card for me (and hopefully my parents get it too) or do I have to stick to same country after brexit as that card will be valid for only one country.

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:06 pm

blackeyed wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm
blackeyed wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Sorry I should have clarified what I meant was - Can i move to another country after i get the EEA card for me (and hopefully my parents get it too) or do I have to stick to same country after brexit as that card will be valid for only one country.
from what I understand after December 2020 you lose your rights as EU Citizen (free movement), even if you settle in a particular EU country. Unless they extend transition period and the right of EU Citizen beyond 2020 you cannot move to any other EU Country in 2021.

If they extend it, if you want to move to another country you should start from scratch as if you are moving from UK.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:09 pm

It's hard to give accurate predictions, but UK passports holders are going to lose Freedom of Movements provided by EU Directive/Regulations. This is applicable to their families too.

So my educated guess is that if by then you have secured a residence in any EEA country, it's good for you but you won't be able to easily move from a country to another.

blackeyed

Post by blackeyed » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks Zerubbabel & srivisaN

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:35 am

blackeyed wrote:
Can i move to another country after i get the EEA card for me (and hopefully my parents get it too) or do I have to stick to same country after brexit as that card will be valid for only one country.
The EEA Residence documentation is valid only in the country it is issued for. You may be able to move around for visits, but if you were to move residences, you would have to apply for new documentation in the new country.

And as mentioned above, it is the current expectation that you will be "land-locked" in the country you will be resident in on 31st December this year. Given that it can take some countries a few months to issue documentation to prove your EEA rights, I'd say that the actual deadline would be closer to September/October.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

blackeyed

Post by blackeyed » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:06 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:35 am
blackeyed wrote:
Can i move to another country after i get the EEA card for me (and hopefully my parents get it too) or do I have to stick to same country after brexit as that card will be valid for only one country.
The EEA Residence documentation is valid only in the country it is issued for. You may be able to move around for visits, but if you were to move residences, you would have to apply for new documentation in the new country.

And as mentioned above, it is the current expectation that you will be "land-locked" in the country you will be resident in on 31st December this year. Given that it can take some countries a few months to issue documentation to prove your EEA rights, I'd say that the actual deadline would be closer to September/October.
Thanks Simon, I didn't take this delay in issuing documentation into consideration. It looks like I have to move asap and get the ball rolling.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 am

It looks like I have to move asap and get the ball rolling.
As I said earlier, I know that France will be issuing special cards to UK citizens starting from this Summer. Even if legally a UK citizen should be able to lodge an EEA application until Dec 31, 2020 midnight, I think that administrations will be pushing back as they don't want to entertain a system that is being phased-out.

So for France, from this Summer, UK citizens will get cards under a withdrawal agreement scheme and I guess they will give less rights than proper Article 10 cards under EEA Regulations.

I believe that most EEA countries will soon start putting in place specific arrangements for UK citizens. They will be a sort of reflection of EEA Regulations under local laws.

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:36 pm

anyone have idea about below countries, I can see IT jobs available there. This is what I heard about them,

Netherlands: Public insurance is 100 Euros (for employee and family each), most people speak english, aged people can have public insurance too (no discrimination)

Austria: Less english, Public insurance is less (same applied to family), not sure about insurance for aged people

Switzerland: Everyone need to take private insurance, high salaries, no resident permit (need to apply workpermit)

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:44 pm

Switzerland: Everyone need to take private insurance, high salaries, no resident permit (need to apply workpermit)
I spent a decade in Switzerland. I can just tell you: forget it. Your options there are non existent. Also, they are Schengen but not EEA. So you will have hard time claiming anything EEA.

blackeyed

Post by blackeyed » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Thanks Zerubbabel, will chalk off Swiss. Is it the same for Austria? I heard usually Austria follows Swiss footsteps.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:38 pm

blackeyed wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 pm
Thanks Zerubbabel, will chalk off Swiss. Is it the same for Austria? I heard usually Austria follows Swiss footsteps.
Where did you hear that?

Switzerland and Austria have very different systems in every aspect.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

blackeyed

Post by blackeyed » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:52 am

ALKB wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:38 pm
blackeyed wrote:
Where did you hear that?

One of my colleague who worked in Switzerland for 6 months. I took his advice with a grain of salt as Swiss is EEA and Austria in EU so wanted to check here. Is Austria more accommodating for reunification visa?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:34 am

I don't see you getting hired in Austria with just English. Try but most IT employers want local language + English. If you are very senior, some may compromise in the quality of the local language, but zero is usually a no go.

blackeyed

Post by blackeyed » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:46 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:34 am
I don't see you getting hired in Austria with just English. Try but most IT employers want local language + English. If you are very senior, some may compromise in the quality of the local language, but zero is usually a no go.
Thanks Zerubbabel, I got a call from an agent for English only speaking 6 months contract role with possibility of further extension.I know getting a call and things actually getting materialised are a different matter but don't want to waste someone else's time, if i know the chance of family reunification in a country is next to impossible.

RightFoot
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by RightFoot » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:23 pm

You can also explore Scandanavian countries (Finland, Denmark & Norway) and Sweden, they seem to have a reasonable cost/standard of living.

I hope someone on here has an idea about their immigration rules. But if there is a country I would relocate to it would be one of them.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:14 pm

blackeyed wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:52 am
ALKB wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:38 pm
blackeyed wrote:
Where did you hear that?

One of my colleague who worked in Switzerland for 6 months. I took his advice with a grain of salt as Swiss is EEA and Austria in EU so wanted to check here. Is Austria more accommodating for reunification visa?
I lived in Switzerland (for far more than 6 months) and my father used to live in Austria (also for far more than 6 months) and the systems - healthcare, public administration, government, etc. are completely different. I find more similarities between Germany and Austria but I think Austria is doing better in some important parts (pensions, etc.)

Both have beautiful mountains and lots of Bollywood film crews, though.

Austria should be more accommodating since it's an EU country. It does have a center right wing government though and in some parts the public's view on migration is about as accommodating as in some parts of the UK, so I don't know whether this is reflected in how they deal with non-EEA family members of EU nationals applications, especially when the EU family member soon won't be EU anymore. Are you and or parents part of a visible minority? If so, definitely personally visit the country (this goes for any country!) and specific area you would live in and check the vibe you are getting.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:51 pm

check the vibe you are getting.
Couldn't agree more.

Relocating to a country is a life changing decision. Cannot be done just like that online. You need to go, visit, talk to people... and feel the vibes.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:51 pm
check the vibe you are getting.
Couldn't agree more.

Relocating to a country is a life changing decision. Cannot be done just like that online. You need to go, visit, talk to people... and feel the vibes.
Additionally, understand the processes in each country you shortlist as the requirements to register, open bank accounts, get accommodation, tax numbers varies completely per country. Some are overwhelmingly complicated and convoluted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

blackeyed

Post by blackeyed » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:44 am

Thanks ALKB, Zerubbabel and CR001. Yes definitely it makes sense about visiting and getting the vibe about the place and country. I am finishing my current contract at end of March and will visit in start of April meanwhile will read about the process as advised.