ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Letters and Addressing

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

30 Days to enter UK but what about the Job?

Post by Steve1984 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi,
I am currently going through the process of applying for a family visa for my wife, we married out in Indonesia where she currently lives and works, i live and work in the UK. From what I can gather we have all the evidence required to meet the family visa but there's one concern we have. assuming that the visa is granted for her, she has 30 days to enter the UK after approval, but she has a job which she needs to give 30 days notice to (they're threatening to sue her if she doesn't complete her notice and get her arrested if she arrives back in her country at a later date). I've read that the decision process could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 weeks, how on earth are you supposed to plan with such random timescales? I've based my estimate on her arriving here in July 2020 based on 12 weeks from the date of submitting the visa application (end of March we're aiming for to do that)
  • she could hand in her notice 60 days after the visa is submitted but this is a massive risk if she's refused the visa - she'd be out of a job living over there, and it doesn't help us if the decision is made earlier (say in 30 days after application)
  • is there anyway to be able to get an idea of whether it will be approved or not during the process before they make the decision so notice can be handed in for her job?
  • is there any way we can get that 30 day window extended to enter the UK, to maybe 60 days?
if anyone can help i'd appreciate it, i'm just lost as to who to ask this kind of stuff to. I'm British born and bred and it's hard enough me doing the application for her

Casa

Re: 30 Days to enter UK but what about the Job?

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:01 pm

If necessary, your wife can apply for an extension (Transfer of Conditions application) for her 30 day entry vignette. See No.3 in the link posted below:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... visa-ecb17
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Steve1984 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:15 pm

so it's just a case of paying more money then? does she have to wait until the initial 30 days vignette is expired or could she apply say 20 days in if she's still got like a week of notice to work through? any idea how long this would take to get a new vignette?

thanks, so complicated all this :(

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:47 pm

Your wife must apply for a transfer of conditions while the 30 days vignette is still valid. The current fee is £169, but I believe that for an additional fee she can request this to be a priority application. Priority would need to be clearly requested in the application, or it may be overlooked.

She will have to attend a biometric appointment again and after this will have to submit her passport, unless there is the option to retain this in the country where she is applying.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Steve1984 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:05 pm

ok, what if instead of putting July as her intended date of entry i put August instead, but still send the application in end of March.... my thinking is:
they'd approve it up to 12 weeks after application - decision made end of June
if it's approved she can hand in her notice start of July
they'd issue the vignette for August?

i'm guessing if they make their decision early by end of May for example, they'd still issue the vignette for August would they if that's the intended date of entry????

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

UK Partner - what do they earn, what should i select?

Post by Steve1984 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi,
As the UK sponsor for my wife - I work full time as an employee for a ltd company, i don't have shares, not a director, don't have family working there, i'm not a contractor just a regular Jo bog-standard employee.
I do earn above the required amount which is salaried, but i also earn overtime which is variable on top of my basic.

the family visa sponsor (me) financial requirements asks:
What do they earn?
- The same amount continuously, above the financial requirement amount
- Not the same amount continuously, above the financial requirement amount

The difference between answering these two questions seems to vastly determine what documents i need to submit, with the latter providing 12 months payslips, bank statements, letter from employer, copy of contract etc...

I am unsure whether the second option is meant for a regular employee or is it more for a contractor/self-employeed type? can someone advise?

thanks
Steve

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: UK Partner - what do they earn, what should i select?

Post by seagul » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:29 am

Steve1984 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:12 pm
Hi,
As the UK sponsor for my wife - I work full time as an employee for a ltd company, i don't have shares, not a director, don't have family working there, i'm not a contractor just a regular Jo bog-standard employee.
I do earn above the required amount which is salaried, but i also earn overtime which is variable on top of my basic.

the family visa sponsor (me) financial requirements asks:
What do they earn?
- The same amount continuously, above the financial requirement amount
- Not the same amount continuously, above the financial requirement amount

The difference between answering these two questions seems to vastly determine what documents i need to submit, with the latter providing 12 months payslips, bank statements, letter from employer, copy of contract etc...

I am unsure whether the second option is meant for a regular employee or is it more for a contractor/self-employeed type? can someone advise?

thanks
Steve
Until near past perhaps recently as well on selecting the options b,c,d the system automatically assume you on category B despite you fit in category A by being employed with your present employer from the last 6 months. Therefore, selecting option A was more relevant by simply supplying the last months of payslips and bank statements.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Steve1984 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 am

Oddly if i choose the first option, once i get to the document checklist it doesn't ask for any financial documents at all, no payslips, no bank statements.....
should i submit them anyway, and if so how far back - 6 months, will 12 months matter?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:54 am

You can't ask for a visa to be issued more than 3 months ahead.
(Casa, not CR001)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:42 am

Steve1984 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 am
Oddly if i choose the first option, once i get to the document checklist it doesn't ask for any financial documents at all, no payslips, no bank statements.....
:shock: :shock:
Steve1984 wrote:
should i submit them anyway, and if so how far back - 6 months, will 12 months matter?
If you have maintained your wages during the last 12 months then no harm in supplying 12 months of payslips and bank statements otherwise just supply 6 months of documents along with covering letter pointing that error.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

mnr2020
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by mnr2020 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am

seagul wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:42 am
Steve1984 wrote:
:shock: :shock:
Steve1984 wrote:
If you have maintained your wages during the last 12 months then no harm in supplying 12 months of payslips and bank statements otherwise just supply 6 months of documents along with covering letter pointing that error.
I have the same issue, my employment is permanent with the same company for many years, the salary is fixed monthly and changes every year(the last increase was in last April). It is still to be considered as same income above the required limit would think?

I am thinking to provide last 6 or 12 months plus a P60.
And also add a note with some history or my income changes over the last 3 years.

Can anyone advise please.
thanks in advance.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Letters and Addressing

Post by Steve1984 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi, I am the sponsor (british citizen) for my wife who intends to move to the UK. to meet financial requirements i need to get a letter from my bank, mortgage lender and employer. Who should these letters to be addressed to, is it to my home address, the UK embassy in the UK, or the UK embassy in the applicants home country?

Also, when they ask for my employers details they ask for an email address, is that my email address as a staff member or an email address of the HR department, or general enquiries or what?

thanks

Steve

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Letters and Addressing

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:12 pm

Topics merged again. Please keep all questions on the same application in one topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Steve1984 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:11 pm

Sorry wasn't sure how to use these forums. I just click on new topic under Immigration for family members, i'm supposed to just keep replying to my original topic am I?

cheers

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:27 pm

Steve1984 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:09 pm
Hi, I am the sponsor (british citizen) for my wife who intends to move to the UK. to meet financial requirements i need to get a letter from my bank, mortgage lender and employer. Who should these letters to be addressed to, is it to my home address, the UK embassy in the UK, or the UK embassy in the applicants home country?
It can addressed "to whom it may concern" or UKVI
Steve1984 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:09 pm
Also, when they ask for my employers details they ask for an email address, is that my email address as a staff member or an email address of the HR department, or general enquiries or what?

thanks

Steve
Its the contact detail of the issuing person/authority such as HR/accounts/line manager etc.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Date of translated documents

Post by Steve1984 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am

Hi,
sorry to keep asking questions, i know that my letter from the bank, employer, payslips etc need to be no older than 28 days, is this the same for translated documents or doesn't it matter?

thanks

Steve

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Date of translated documents

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:58 am

Steve1984 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am
Hi,
sorry to keep asking questions, i know that my letter from the bank, employer, payslips etc need to be no older than 28 days, is this the same for translated documents or doesn't it matter?

thanks

Steve
Translated documents doesn't matter, it can be older.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

File Size Limit for uploading documents

Post by Steve1984 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi
Does anyone know what the file size limit is for uploading documents as PDF on the vfs global site?
Also is everything supposed to be in a single PDF or can i upload multiple files?

thanks
Steve

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Multiple files. Each file not bigger than 6mb
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Steve1984 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm

6MB??? that's it?! totally all together mine is around 165MB.

I guess the next question is, any limit on the number of files i can upload?
also if for whatever reason i can't upload these, i'd have to print them out and send them via post - but do i also need to pay for a scanning service for them to upload the docs or is a paper only version acceptable? printing this stuff out at my library alone will cost me £160, so i really don't want to do that, plus postage, plus scanning fee

thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Steve1984 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm
6MB??? that's it?! totally all together mine is around 165MB.

I guess the next question is, any limit on the number of files i can upload?
also if for whatever reason i can't upload these, i'd have to print them out and send them via post - but do i also need to pay for a scanning service for them to upload the docs or is a paper only version acceptable? printing this stuff out at my library alone will cost me £160, so i really don't want to do that, plus postage, plus scanning fee

thanks
You cannot send via post to HO/UKVI anymore.
CR001 wrote "each" you wrote "totally".
You can split supporting docs for upload. Check online for and get a PDF compressing app and or scan the docs in black and white or grey scale.

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Steve1984 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:00 pm

i've read that the scans need to be in colour so i don't want to risk just having black and white for them. it's making me feel quite sick after reading this post of frustrations uploading documents https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/5547190?hl=en

7 years of distance relationship and thousands of £ spent and it could all crumble because of a stupid website.

i did merge ALL my documents into a single PDF as i thought that's how it should be (i still have all my individual docs, such as 12 bank statements, 12 payslips, passport and so on)... let's say i'm uploading the sponsor financial docs - would this let me upload my 12 bank statements, 12 payslips, letter of employment, contract and so on... or does it have to be in a single document. there is no way on earth that any compression app will get the total size down from 165MB for everything to anything under even 100MB. If I am able to upload multiple docs (and there's no limit to the number) then i might be ok since every doc individually is less than 6mb (except for the scanned in version of the appendix 2 which is 37MB but i could split that potentially into multiple files). Also, for the appendix 2 does it have to be hand written or can i fill it out digitally (i can use foxit pdf to do this and produces a way smaller size).

I know i've said and asked a lot above, sorry for all the questions. it seems an awful terrible process and service to use this vfs global thing.

thanks
Steve

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:35 pm

Steve1984 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:00 pm
i've read that the scans need to be in colour so i don't want to risk just having black and white for them. it's making me feel quite sick after reading this post of frustrations uploading documents
3.2. How should I prepare my documents to self-upload?

Please upload documents in PDF (preferred), JPG or PNG format. The file name should be simple e.g.bank-statement-Apr-2018.pdf. Do not upload files with file names containing special characters, #, ë,or bank.statement.apr.2018.pdf. Please do not upload any password protected documents as thecaseworker will be unable to open them.
Documents uploaded to the UKVCAS website must have a file size no larger than 6MB. To minimise the file size we recommend scanning in black and white or greyscale and not in colour. It is also helpful to keep the resolution between 150 dpi (dots per inch) to 300 dpi.
https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/sopr ... as/FAQ.pdf

Steve1984
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Steve1984 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:06 pm

cheers i'll read that document.
anyone know about my other queries ?

really appreciate all the help, thanks so much guys for helping me on this

Steve

mss9025

Post by mss9025 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:55 pm

Steve1984 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:00 pm
i've read that the scans need to be in colour so i don't want to risk just having black and white for them. it's making me feel quite sick after reading this post of frustrations uploading documents https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/5547190?hl=en

7 years of distance relationship and thousands of £ spent and it could all crumble because of a stupid website.

i did merge ALL my documents into a single PDF as i thought that's how it should be (i still have all my individual docs, such as 12 bank statements, 12 payslips, passport and so on)... let's say i'm uploading the sponsor financial docs - would this let me upload my 12 bank statements, 12 payslips, letter of employment, contract and so on... or does it have to be in a single document. there is no way on earth that any compression app will get the total size down from 165MB for everything to anything under even 100MB. If I am able to upload multiple docs (and there's no limit to the number) then i might be ok since every doc individually is less than 6mb (except for the scanned in version of the appendix 2 which is 37MB but i could split that potentially into multiple files). Also, for the appendix 2 does it have to be hand written or can i fill it out digitally (i can use foxit pdf to do this and produces a way smaller size).

I know i've said and asked a lot above, sorry for all the questions. it seems an awful terrible process and service to use this vfs global thing.

thanks
Steve
I wouldn't merge everything into one document to be honest. If I remember correctly, the VFS website has separate sections for the evidence you will be relying on. So, I would personally split everything up, which would also effectively solve the problem regarding file size. And yes, there is no limit to the number of documents you can upload.

I filled out Appendix 2 digitally and it was fine.