ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Looking for clarification - re-entry after Tier 5

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

canuckistani87
Newly Registered
Canada

Looking for clarification - re-entry after Tier 5

Post by canuckistani87 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 am

Hello all,
I've read good and bad things about re-entering the UK after the expiration of a Tier 5 YM.

I am unsure what to do. My visa expires in April, I plan to leave the day before it expires, travel around continental Europe for about 6 weeks, then fly back here to collect my bags before flying home to Canada. I'm just wanting to be sure everything I've read from previous years is still valid that I don't need a visa to re-enter as a tourist so shortly afterwards, as long as I can show the Border Officer that I'm not planning on illegally staying in the UK.

I am scared to book my flights though because I'm afraid about not being let in. But it will cost a lot to bring my bags with me around Europe.
I plan to have with me: a copy of every boarding pass or bus ticket from the six weeks of travel to show that I did indeed leave the UK before the date of the expiration of my visa, my one way ticket to Canada which will be one week after I fly back to the UK, and a copy of my resignation emails and P45s from my jobs that I left due to visa expiring. I can also get a letter from a friend saying I'll be staying with them for the week and that my bags are with them.

Immigration history clear, I was on a short term study permit for less than six months a few months prior to my Tier 5.

Does that sound sufficient?

Also, if I pass through the eGates and get through, I hope that won't make a black mark on my passport having entered so soon after visa expiry as though I deliberately evaded speaking to someone.

The Station Agent

Re: Looking for clarification - re-entry after Tier 5

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:57 pm

I would think you'll be OK as long as you carry some form of proof of your intentions to collect belongings and leave within a few days. Carry proof of intended departure from UK and maybe a friend or relative can be on the end of the phone to confirm things if you get stopped.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Looking for clarification - re-entry after Tier 5

Post by sah10406 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:03 pm

canuckistani87 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 am
I am scared to book my flights though because I'm afraid about not being let in. But it will cost a lot to bring my bags with me around Europe.
I plan to have with me: a copy of every boarding pass or bus ticket from the six weeks of travel to show that I did indeed leave the UK before the date of the expiration of my visa, my one way ticket to Canada which will be one week after I fly back to the UK, and a copy of my resignation emails and P45s from my jobs that I left due to visa expiring. I can also get a letter from a friend saying I'll be staying with them for the week and that my bags are with them.

Also, if I pass through the eGates and get through, I hope that won't make a black mark on my passport having entered so soon after visa expiry as though I deliberately evaded speaking to someone.
You are really over-thinking this. As a Canadian national, if you are entering for a genuine short visit you simply go through the eGates. You only see a Border Force Officer if you are entering for short-term study, to make sure you get the right study conditions.

Have a good trip.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.