ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner visa cash in hand calculation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Clemsonyee
Newly Registered
United States of America

partner visa income calculation

Post by Clemsonyee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:28 pm

Hello, I just have a quick question on how partner visa incomes are calculated. I am currently in the UK until Jan 2021, and my partner is a UK citizen. Currently, I earn around 800/month in non-salaried income, and my partner is self-employed. I, however, switched jobs in January and only received one week of income due to how the workweeks worked out. Over the last financial year (Apr-Apr) we've earned enough, but I'm a bit concerned about how they would calculate this. Because of how self-employed income is calculated you are only able to use the same financial year. For my first paycheck I only received 210 pounds due to starting near the end of their pay period, but otherwise have earned enough to qualify. If my employer includes a letter clarifying this, could a calculation be made over my complete paychecks, or be calculated another way?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: partner visa income calculation

Post by seagul » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:30 am

The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Clemsonyee
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Clemsonyee » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:44 am

Cheers for the link, but I’ve given that a read through a lot of times and I don’t think it answers my question unfortunately. Long story short if I take all of my months of employment (Dec-Mar) I would, according to the calculation, be earning less than taking the three full months I would have been earning. This is only due to a change in employment. Would I be able to use Jan-Mar instead, as they are the full months of employment?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:14 am

Clemsonyee wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:44 am
Long story short if I take all of my months of employment (Dec-Mar) I would, according to the calculation, be earning less than taking the three full months I would have been earning.
Which calculation are you referring to? As self-employment income is being used to meet the financial requirement, it is only the total income in the full financial year being relied upon that matters as far as I am aware. In addition to this you would have to provide evidence of ongoing employment. In this calculation any income received in the period covered by the financial year from a source you still earn income from can only be to your benefit. My understanding is that it is not your salary (or equivalent annualised average non-salaried income) that is added to the self-employment income, it is the total income you have received in the period of the financial year being relied upon that remains a source of income at the time of application that is added.

"all sources of income must fall within the financial year(s) relied on and must still be a source of income at the time of application"

"For example, if the applicant is in the UK with permission to work, to combine their salaried employment income with their partner’s self-employment income, they must provide evidence of the income received from this salaried employment during their self-employed partner’s relevant financial year(s) and evidence of ongoing employment at the date of application."
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Clemsonyee
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Clemsonyee » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:52 am

geoeng wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:14 am
Clemsonyee wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:44 am
Long story short if I take all of my months of employment (Dec-Mar) I would, according to the calculation, be earning less than taking the three full months I would have been earning.
Which calculation are you referring to? As self-employment income is being used to meet the financial requirement, it is only the total income in the full financial year being relied upon that matters as far as I am aware. In addition to this you would have to provide evidence of ongoing employment. In this calculation any income received in the period covered by the financial year from a source you still earn income from can only be to your benefit. My understanding is that it is not your salary (or equivalent annualised average non-salaried income) that is added to the self-employment income, it is the total income you have received in the period of the financial year being relied upon that remains a source of income at the time of application that is added.

"all sources of income must fall within the financial year(s) relied on and must still be a source of income at the time of application"

"For example, if the applicant is in the UK with permission to work, to combine their salaried employment income with their partner’s self-employment income, they must provide evidence of the income received from this salaried employment during their self-employed partner’s relevant financial year(s) and evidence of ongoing employment at the date of application."
We’re combining incomes, mine under Cat B and my partner under Cat F. They have earned around 9500-9600 from Apr to Apr. If we take my apr to apr, you’d arrive at around 11k. However because I changed jobs in December near the end of my employers pay period, I was only paid for one week. If we take this paycheque to March, I would have earned around 3000, divide this by four and multiply by 12 would arrive at an annual income of 8910. However if Dec is excluded I would be earning plenty according to the calculation.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Clemsonyee wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:52 am
We’re combining incomes, mine under Cat B and my partner under Cat F. They have earned around 9500-9600 from Apr to Apr. If we take my apr to apr, you’d arrive at around 11k. However because I changed jobs in December near the end of my employers pay period, I was only paid for one week. If we take this paycheque to March, I would have earned around 3000, divide this by four and multiply by 12 would arrive at an annual income of 8910. However if Dec is excluded I would be earning plenty according to the calculation.
Your annual income doesn't matter when combining income with self-employment, only the total income received during the relevant financial year is considered when determining whether the financial requirement is met. So it would be your April to April earnings plus your partner's April to April earnings. You would also have to provide evidence of ongoing employment at the date of application.

"13(e) Where the person is self-employed, their gross annual income will be the total of their gross income from their self-employment (and that of their partner if that person is in the UK with permission to work) [and] from any salaried or non-salaried employment they have had or their partner has had (if their partner is in the UK with permission to work) . . . in the last full financial year or as an average of the last two full financial years."
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Clemsonyee
Newly Registered
United States of America

Partner visa cash in hand calculation

Post by Clemsonyee » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi again, I just have a question about what other evidence we could provide to prove our cash-in hand income. From Apr-September my partner did not place the money in their account, but had been doing so onwards. We also have a record of all of the cash she has in taken. Would we be allowed to use an estimate of the cash in hand income from Apr-Sep based on what she has earned cash in hand from Sep-Apr and has placed into their bank account at least once a month

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Partner visa cash in hand calculation

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 pm

Clemsonyee wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:24 pm
Hi again, I just have a question about what other evidence we could provide to prove our cash-in hand income. From Apr-September my partner did not place the money in their account, but had been doing so onwards. We also have a record of all of the cash she has in taken. Would we be allowed to use an estimate of the cash in hand income from Apr-Sep based on what she has earned cash in hand from Sep-Apr and has placed into their bank account at least once a month
You still need bank statements and payslips to prove the income. If money wasn't banked, it is highly unliked that it would be counted towards the financial requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Clemsonyee
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Clemsonyee » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:48 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 pm
Clemsonyee wrote:
You still need bank statements and payslips to prove the income. If money wasn't banked, it is highly unliked that it would be counted towards the financial requirements.
She works as a teacher for kids, paid around 20/hour. So payslips would be unavailable. Would anything by an accountant or anything like that prove this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:51 pm

You have already been given the advice on what is required for self employed income and you still need evidence of this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:53 pm

You should read appendix 1.7 to understand what is required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:12 am

Clemsonyee wrote:
Section 9.3.8 of the guidance document discusses cash-in hand income as it relates to self-employment and where flexibility may be applied if bank statements do not reflect all income received. The obvious concern with undocumented income is that you could "estimate" any amount you wanted to.