ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French citizen returning to France from UK: family members

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

obormot
Member of Standing
France

French citizen returning to France from UK: family members

Post by obormot » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:47 pm

Dear all:
Can anyone direct me to some (French) resources on how to proceed:
I am French citizen working in UK. My mother is non-EU citizen (USA), and she lives with me. We both have PR in UK. I in fa t just was approved for UK citizenship (ceremony in mid-December)
I might need to relocate to France next summer for 1-2 years (job reasons).
My understanding is that I can bring my mother using European free mobility law (as a returning citizen). But I could not find the references on french web on what to do.
They only talk about non-french EU citizens coming to France. Not about French returning to France.
They say since she does not need visa to enter (she is US citizen) she can just come and go to prefecture and apply for 5 years residence, bringing proof of my citizenship, of our family relation, and of her dependancy.
Now: What if they refuse her since I am French, not another EU?
How do I prove dependancy? She just lives with me and has no sources of income. We have some documents (like doctor letters, etc. ) - do we need to translate all of them into French?
EU law says it is enough to prove living in the same household..
Etc.
I tried to find some forum in France, similar to this one, but could not.

There is also a way to bring dependent parents using French law (proving dependancy), which should be done via consulate. But consulate is rather impermeable in that what information and in what language they accept as proof of dependency.

I would appreciate very much any indication on where to search for more information.
I can read French, though I am not perfect and my written french skills are horrible (I am naturalised French citizen via my husband, I never lived in France)

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: French citizen returning to France from UK: family members

Post by obormot » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:34 pm

I actually went to prefecture in France with my mother, they accepted our documents, but we will be having the interview (!) in May to decide on her application as family member of EU. Hopefully it will work..
They even said that since both me and her have EU PR documents from UK we do not need to show any additional proofs of dependency.