ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New born's British passport interview failed because of English language

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Evicra
Member of Standing
Pakistan

New born's British passport interview failed because of English language

Post by Evicra » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:35 pm

hi
one of my friend was called for interview in UK for the passport of his new born(born IN PAKISTAN). parents language couldn't satisfy interview officer. then officer asked him to write his sons name on piece of paper. while writing his son's name he missed "u" in the name. the officer asked him to go and reschedule interview because officer was not satisfied with his English.

could you guys please advise . is this a requirement that parent should be fluent in English reading,writing in order to get British passport of their newborn.

what is the worst scenario in this case please.
any input would be highly appreciated
thank you

interview officer asked him

alterhase58
Germany

Re: New born's British passport interview failed because of English language

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm

requirement that parent should be fluent in English reading,writing in order to get British passport of their newborn.
There's probably no rule to say you must be fully fluent to get a passport - except if you were naturalised you had to prove English proficiency (if under the age of 65). This is probably a case of the officer passing you over to someone else for a second opinion.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Evicra
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by Evicra » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:48 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm
requirement that parent should be fluent in English reading,writing in order to get British passport of their newborn.
There's probably no rule to say you must be fully fluent to get a passport - except if you were naturalised you had to prove English proficiency (if under the age of 65). This is probably a case of the officer passing you over to someone else for a second opinion.
thank you very much for your reply. i will ask him to give it a second try let see. thanks for your reply

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Evicra wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:35 pm
hi
one of my friend was called for interview in UK for the passport of his new born(born IN PAKISTAN). parents language couldn't satisfy interview officer. then officer asked him to write his sons name on piece of paper. while writing his son's name he missed "u" in the name. the officer asked him to go and reschedule interview because officer was not satisfied with his English.

could you guys please advise . is this a requirement that parent should be fluent in English reading,writing in order to get British passport of their newborn.

what is the worst scenario in this case please.
any input would be highly appreciated
thank you

interview officer asked him
For over 18 and under 65 to be naturalised in the UK, they need to prove knowledge of English. The standard requirement assumes a level where the applicant is able to speak, read, write and comprehend English Language.You dont have to be fluent, but expected to be able to have a meaningful conversation in English. I guess this could be more of an investigation into how the parent satisfied the English language required to acquire citizenship.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.