ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Combining Self-Employed Incomes?? | Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PamC123
Newly Registered
United States of America

Combining Self-Employed Incomes?? | Spouse Visa

Post by PamC123 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Hello all,

My husband is a British Citizen and I am an American. We both currently live in the United States and we are both self-employed. I work as a remote English teacher and my husband is an artist, so we would be able to continue being self-employed in the UK.

For the UK Spouse Visa, would we be able to combine our self-employed income to meet the £18,600 requirement? Our combined self-employed income comes to about $27,000 (about £20,000). Unfortunately, we can't meet the requirement using only his income until the 2020 tax year.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Re: Combining Self-Employed Incomes?? | Spouse Visa

Post by THO » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi,

I am no expert, but I don't think self employed income earned in the US will count. I think your husband would need a full financial year in the UK before he can apply for a spouse visa, and earn over £18.6K alone or have savings high enough that he can combine them with earnings.

Do you have savings of £62.5K, so no need to meet earning requirement?

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the case.

THO.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Combining Self-Employed Incomes?? | Spouse Visa

Post by geoeng » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 am

PamC123 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:38 pm
For the UK Spouse Visa, would we be able to combine our self-employed income to meet the £18,600 requirement? Our combined self-employed income comes to about $27,000 (about £20,000). Unfortunately, we can't meet the requirement using only his income until the 2020 tax year.
The requirements are discussed in the guidance document linked below (see from Section 9 on page 60). Take note of all the specified evidence that must be provided to ensure you have it all. You can use overseas self-employment income to meet the financial requirement; however, only the income of the British citizen sponsor ("the applicant’s partner") can be applied towards the requirement for the initial spouse visa and they must also supply evidence either:
"- That their self-employment is ongoing and will be continuing in the UK; or
- Of a confirmed offer of salaried or non-salaried employment in the UK, starting within
3 months of their return"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.