ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transferring ILR from expired passport (exp in 2005) to BRP after 17 years residency

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rel
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Transferring ILR from expired passport (exp in 2005) to BRP after 17 years residency

Post by rel » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi all,

So I've finally gotten my butt into gear to transfer my ILR, which I received in 2002, from an old passport to a BRP card (since I've learnt I need this to prove permission to work now - I started my current job before this came into effect, but if I plan to change jobs then obviously things will be troublesome).

I've started filling out the forms, and it states I need evidence of every year - since 2002 - of me living here. Bank statements, utility bills, etc. I simply don't have that for every year - we've moved 4 times in the last 17 years, and shredded all the old bills so we're not carrying them with us.

Would having letters from previous employers confirming employment during the period be acceptable? (I've worked here continually from Sept 2002 til now).

Also, I've gone through 4 passports, since at the time NZ passports issued overseas only lasted 5 years, but I can't find the one covering 2010-2015. Will that be an issue?

Would it make more sense to stump up the extra £1k or so and apply for British residency?

Thanks -- starting this process and realising just how much evidence I need has created a HUGE amount of stress, so some advice (even anecdotal) would be great. I'm working from home midweek so I can try and call the Home Office myself, but some clarity from you all before that would hopefully ease my mind a little.

Cheers :)

vinny

Re: Transferring ILR from expired passport (exp in 2005) to BRP after 17 years residency

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:50 am

Burden of proof for NTL.

Employers confirmations, etc., should help.

Consider naturalising directly?
if the applicant does not have passports to cover the qualifying period, other evidence such as employers’ letters or tax and National Insurance letters:

o in such cases you should assess whether there is sufficient evidence to show that that applicant has been resident in the UK during the qualifying period, giving them the benefit of any doubt where claimed absences are within the limits we would normally allow and there are no grounds to doubt the accuracy of the claim

You must not normally accept doctors' letters on their own as proof of residence. However, if nothing else is available and the doctors can confirm that they have seen the applicant on a regular basis during the period concerned these may be accepted.

If there are gaps in a person’s evidence of residence and it is clear from the information available that they could not have travelled, you must accept this. Examples of this might include a refugee who has no means of travel or where immigration records confirm continuous residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rel
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: Transferring ILR from expired passport (exp in 2005) to BRP after 17 years residency

Post by rel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 am

Thank you, Vinny - this has eased my anxiety slightly. I think it may well be worth applying for citizenship, despite the increase in cost.

Would I then simply need to prove residency for the qualifying period (3/5 years?) rather than the full 17 if I were to transfer my ILR from passport to BRP?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:23 am

rel wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 am
Would I then simply need to prove residency for the qualifying period (3/5 years?) rather than the full 17 if I were to transfer my ILR from passport to BRP?
No, you would still need to prove it for all 17 years, because ILR lapses automatically in case of an absence of more than two years and can also have been cancelled if you have been abroad for long periods of time.

To prove that that is not the case, you need to prove all 17 years of residence.

However, once you naturalise as a British citizen, there is no absence requirement. I think that that was Vinny's logic in suggesting that you naturalise.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rel
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by rel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Just to update on this, incase anyone finds this thread and is in similar circumstances. I had employer letters (plus one email from a temp agency I used in 2002-2004), as well as HMRC records for the last 7 years to help cover the gap from my missing passport.

I finally submitted my application in late Feb, had my UKVCAS appointment on Friday 6th and everything went through fine, approved on Saturday, and my BMR is now on its way :) Thanks to the above for their help.