ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa granted (business) but may not travel first destination

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sv2018
Mood:
India

Schengen visa granted (business) but may not travel first destination

Post by Sv2018 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi all,

I have this question in the situation;
I have been granted Multi-entry schengen business visa (valid for 2 years ) to attend a conference in Belgium and the first trip is planned for end of this month.
Now looking into current coronavirus outbreak, it is highly likely the conference may get canceled. Even if the conference go ahead, I have a second thought for travel and to attend this large gathering due to this outbreak.

My question is what is consequences if I do not make my first trip as planned and the visa remain unused. Can I travel when the situation is better to trigger this visa to Belgium or do I need to apply again.
I requested for long validity multiple entry busy as I have travel to other schengen country for business purposes in near future. Now if I don’t travel for my trip, do I need to apply again? Any lead on this will be highly appreciated. Thanks

iwolga

Re: Schengen visa granted (business) but may not travel first destination

Post by iwolga » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:43 pm

From my experience, if you give valid and sane explanations at border, no consequences at all.

They will ask you why you are not traveling to Belgium and you shall explain re postponing of conference. Better don’t say it was cancelled. If asked just confirm that you still have intentions to travel to Belgium but these were unforeseen circumstances.

I’m sure given current situation and with normal communication skills you’ll be fine.

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by ibwe » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Sv2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:11 pm
My question is what is consequences if I do not make my first trip as planned and the visa remain unused. Can I travel when the situation is better to trigger this visa to Belgium or do I need to apply again.
I agree with iwolga. Based on my experience, it is highly probable that no one is going to ask you why you didn't visit Belgium. The premise of the Schengen visa issuing member state is "the country that you will reside in for most of your traveling itinerary OR if the duration of stay seems to be equal in the member states, according to your itinerary, then you get the visa from the first country that you will visit". There is no way for the border officers to know where you will reside most (unless they ask for the whole itinerary - which can be changed at will) and hence no need to pester you as to why you did not visit the visa issuing state.
However, some border officers might want to know everything. To these I suggest to have an explanation as iwolga pointed out.

Sv2018
Mood:
India

Post by Sv2018 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:04 am

Thank you so much ibwe and iwolga

Update: The conference itself is postponed.
I also checked with TLS application centre and they confirmed I can use this visa for my future travel.

Have a great day.