ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Preparation for Irish citizenship while resident in NI

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

AntrimMan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Preparation for Irish citizenship while resident in NI

Post by AntrimMan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Hello All,

I'm new to the board and have a question which I can't find online or on any topics already posted.

I'm an NI resident with Irish and UK citizenship. My wife is from Ukraine and was recently granted a UK spouse visa and holds the UK BRP since 1st October and has been living with me in Belfast since then.

Our intention is for her to eventually acquire Irish citizenship when the time comes. I understand the requirements for reckonable residency however I am unsure how we would demonstrate this and provide evidence with an application. The Naturalisation Residency Calculator talks about stamps. What are these, are they stamps on a passport?

Thanks for any help in advance.

AntrimMan.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Preparation for Irish citizenship while resident in NI

Post by littlerr » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:07 pm

Welcome to the board.
Everything is explained in the Form 8. I always say this to new applicants - read all explanatory notes in the form before doing anything else.

The latest form is at: https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... m-CTZ3.pdf

This is what it said:
Where the residency is in Northern Ireland, evidence must be given of being lawfully
resident in that jurisdiction for the period of 1 year immediately prior to the application
and a further 2 years in the 4 year period before that, equalling 3 years in total, on foot of
a permission granted by the immigration authorities of the United Kingdom, which period
was granted other than for a period of
- enabling you to engage in a course of education of study; or
- having a claim to be recognised as a refugee within the meaning of the 1951 Geneva
Convention relating to the status of refugees and the 1967 protocol relating to the
status of refugees determined by the UK authorities
So this would be the passport stamps from the UK authorities.
The stamps should specify what date the permission is given and how long it is valid for. Then you will need to provide 3 different documents to prove that you are living in NI (as opposed to Great Britain) - e.g. mortgage letter, employment letter, utility letters, bank statements etc.

kalyna
Ukraine

Post by kalyna » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi, unfortunately, it is not clear from inis website what is required for non-Eu applicant residing in NI. I had similar questions regarding residency checker, what to submit instead of copy of GNIB and Public Services Card. The reply was as below:
"The residency checker is not applicable as you are resident in Northern Ireland.

You can submit a copy of your current UK residence permit and proofs for the years of residence claimed.

The Public Services card also not applicable in your case."

The requirements may change in 3 years, check them again on official website closer to application date. Also you can ask questions via email citizenshipinfo@justice.ie. They were helpful and it didn't take long for them to reply.
Good luck.

AntrimMan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by AntrimMan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi Littlerr and Kalyna,

Thanks for your replies, it has been most helpful.