ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of surname in Indian passport after UK marriage.

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joybhere
Newly Registered
India

Change of surname in Indian passport after UK marriage.

Post by joybhere » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Hello,

I am visiting the Uk on a marriage visitor visa in May/June 2020 and intend to return to India before my 6 months visa expires. I am planning to renew my Indian passport in India as it expires in January 2021.

My query is when I renew my Indian passport I would like to change my surname to my husband's surname.
What is the process for this? Can someone share the correct information?

Please do let me know at the earliest.
Thanks,
J

xebec
Australia

Re: Change of surname in Indian passport after UK marriage.

Post by xebec » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 am

joybhere wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:19 pm
Hello,

I am visiting the Uk on a marriage visitor visa in May/June 2020 and intend to return to India before my 6 months visa expires. I am planning to renew my Indian passport in India as it expires in January 2021.

My query is when I renew my Indian passport I would like to change my surname to my husband's surname.
What is the process for this? Can someone share the correct information?

Please do let me know at the earliest.
Thanks,
J
1. Just to confirm that you will be getting married in the UK.
2. When does your visa expire?

For a name change, you would need your marriage certificate and a copy of your spouse's passport. This is the simple answer.

Before you get married, make sure all your documents have no name discrepancies (passport/driver's licence, Aadhaar, PAN, bank accounts, utility bills etc.). Fix those issues now, else it will be a nightmare later on.

To make your application bulletproof and save you hassles later on, this is what I would suggest:
1. Get two copies of your marriage certificate - Use one for everyday use in the UK.
2. The second copy, get this certificate apostilled in the UK. Courts in India enforce a foreign apostille, so government departments can't refuse acceptance.
3. Get the apostilled copy attested by the Indian consulate. Having it attested will make it easily accepted by the local people in India who have no idea what an apostille is. When they see an Indian government stamp and they are more willing to accept the document. This will save you loads of explaining when you need to later update your Aadhaar, driver's licence, PAN card, bank accounts etc. in India to your married name.

Next, write up a sworn affidavit that you got married on X date to Y person with at location J. Your marriage certificate number is Z and you have changed your last name from M to N on your own free will as of the date of marriage. Your passport number is A, his passport number is B, your parents names are P (Aadhaar number K) and Q (Aadhaar number L). This way you cover all bases. I suggest you do the affidavit at the consulate itself.

After this is complete, apply for the passport. Submit your apostilled marriage certificate, the sworn affidavit, and your husband's passport copy as proof.

Make sure you exit the UK before your visa expires - it must expire before the passport expiry date.