ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa - corona virus

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

happypie

Visitor visa - corona virus

Post by happypie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:31 am

Hi,
My parents are to due to submit their UK visitor visa application on 24th march 2020 for travel date 1st May 2020.
Out agent is saying that all European countries are rejecting visitor/tourists without giving any reason, due to Corona virus outbreak, and suggesting us to wait for a few days.
However we are concerned that waiting for a few days is going to make situations worse and not better.

Any expert opinion will be appreciated. Anyone else facing similar situation? Are any visitor Visa getting approved?

Thanks.

iwolga

Re: Visitor visa - corona virus

Post by iwolga » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:06 pm

A friend of mine got UK visa 2 days ago. I got Schengen visa approved 2 weeks ago. I however just cancelled my trips to Germany and France for April and May.

As the situation develops now, I would be asking myself: do my parents NEED to travel in May? If this is just a family visit, I (and I stress this is my choice only) would not be risking health of my elderly parents.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:07 pm

On another issue, your parents may find it difficult (if not impossible) to get travel insurance which will cover them for Coronavirus. Without health cover, any use of NHS services will be charged at 150% of the costs.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:24 pm

However we are concerned that waiting for a few days is going to make situations worse and not better.
At the moment, the issue is beyond a visa problem really. A friend of mine, is a US citizen, with a US passport and he is stuck in Morocco and cannot fly to his own country.

So visa or not, at the moment it's difficult to travel. My recommendation is to wait a bit until you get more visibility on the situation. Otherwise, you are going to engage expenses such as visa fees that you may eventually lose.

happypie

Post by happypie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm

iwolga wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:06 pm
A friend of mine got UK visa 2 days ago. I got Schengen visa approved 2 weeks ago. I however just cancelled my trips to Germany and France for April and May.

As the situation develops now, I would be asking myself: do my parents NEED to travel in May? If this is just a family visit, I (and I stress this is my choice only) would not be risking health of my elderly parents.
Thanks, appreciate your response.
Even we wouldn't risk travel if situation doesn't improve in may.
It's just the visa appointment I am confused about. To wait for a couple of weeks (situation is likely to get worse) or attend now.

happypie

Post by happypie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:07 pm
On another issue, your parents may find it difficult (if not impossible) to get travel insurance which will cover them for Coronavirus. Without health cover, any use of NHS services will be charged at 150% of the costs.
Yeah good point. Thanks.
Actually they would travel only when this virus ends. Visa would be for 6 months I believe so they will delay until situation is better.

happypie

Post by happypie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:24 pm
At the moment, the issue is beyond a visa problem really. A friend of mine, is a US citizen, with a US passport and he is stuck in Morocco and cannot fly to his own country.

So visa or not, at the moment it's difficult to travel. My recommendation is to wait a bit until you get more visibility on the situation. Otherwise, you are going to engage expenses such as visa fees that you may eventually lose.
Yeah visa fee is concern and if they are going to reject applications straightaway then that's not good. Rejection will also be recorded in inmegration history.

However their travel is important for us (once Corona virus ends).

Thanks.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:59 pm

I didn't hear that they are refusing straightaway. If it were the case, they would publish something around the lines "Don't apply. We are not taking applications at the moment.".

But as initial visas last 6 months, you can get it within days then be unable to travel for months.

To be honest decisions on visitor visas are rather fast. Most I observed were within 1 - 2 weeks max. You can wait until you get some visibility on the whole situation then apply when you feel travel is again possible.