ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa expiry and corona virus

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Fumo212
Newly Registered

Visa expiry and corona virus

Post by Fumo212 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi all
My girlfriends youth mobility visa expires in May and we are due to travel to Australia together prior to the end date. With the current uncertainty around travel, possibility of cancelled flights etc does anyone know if the UK government is likely to allow extensions? We were waiting until end of march to book flight as thats when we get paid. Obviously as a UK citizen I might not be allowed to enter Australia right now which we will have to live with but if she HAS to exit by May she may be forced to pay for a hyper-inflated flight or might not even get one at all. What are everyones thoughts?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Visa expiry and corona virus

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:48 pm

A YMS visa is not extendable.

Flights have reduced in price at present, long distance ones.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Fumo212
Newly Registered

Post by Fumo212 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:02 pm

I realise a YMV is not extendable under normal circumstances. Under the current situation I was wondering if there was any likelihood of a blanket extension/relaxation even of a month or so to take the pressure off international travel given that airlines are cancelling flights and countries closing borders?

FXR_1340
Member of Standing

Post by FXR_1340 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:49 am

Fumo212 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:02 pm
I realise a YMV is not extendable under normal circumstances. Under the current situation I was wondering if there was any likelihood of a blanket extension/relaxation even of a month or so to take the pressure off international travel given that airlines are cancelling flights and countries closing borders?
Intetesting point. Is there an Official line on this?

Fumo212
Newly Registered

Post by Fumo212 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:05 am

Cant find anything published online other than an extension that was applied to all chinese nationals in January until March 31st. Surely something has to be officially confirmed with countries locking down. Im going to phone the immigration corona helpline on Monday morning.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:11 am

Without an official statement, you have to leave the country before the expiration of your leave. You cannot just assume by yourself that the current situation will justify an overstay.

FXR_1340
Member of Standing

Post by FXR_1340 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:11 am
Without an official statement, you have to leave the country before the expiration of your leave. You cannot just assume by yourself that the current situation will justify an overstay.
Agreed however, are there flights available?

As mentioned, an official statement is most definately required.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:09 pm

FXR_1340 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 am
Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:11 am
Agreed however, are there flights available?

As mentioned, an official statement is most definately required.
I haven't checked Australia, but most of the other countries accept their citizens back (eg US, Russia and, I believe Italy as well).

If the flights are not available (or at some point become not available), it's worth contacting the embassy in London. This is their job to help citizens of respective countries in this kind of situation.