ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

boy2017

Child Benefit

Post by boy2017 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Dear Members,

I need advise on the subject matter, I am on spouse visa in the UK (Husband) my wife is entitled to the child benefit for our British born child. We are not claiming the benefit as we do not feel the need of it. However, I got to know from some sources that claiming the child benefit will help keep running my wife's pension credits (she is housewife).
Could anyone from this group help me understand the child benefit in light of pension credit for British citizen while not harming the validity of spouse visa?

I hope I made my question clear.

Waiting for valuable inputs.. Thanks

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Child Benefit

Post by physicskate » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:01 pm

boy2017 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Dear Members,

I need advise on the subject matter, I am on spouse visa in the UK (Husband) my wife is entitled to the child benefit for our British born child. We are not claiming the benefit as we do not feel the need of it. However, I got to know from some sources that claiming the child benefit will help keep running my wife's pension credits (she is housewife).
Could anyone from this group help me understand the child benefit in light of pension credit for British citizen while not harming the validity of spouse visa?

I hope I made my question clear.

Waiting for valuable inputs.. Thanks
Your wife is British/ on ILR? Then she is entitled to claim it. It is a household benefit, but there is only one claimant.

Not only does claiming it continue your wife's claim to continuing national insurance credits, but it also is what registers your child to receive a National Insurance number when the child reaches age 16.

Please be aware that you can register for child benefit but opt out of the payment (recommended if you earn above £60k as you would have to repay the entire sum received because of the High Income Child Benefit Charge - only a portion is repayable if you earn above £50k).

boy2017

Post by boy2017 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Thank you physicskate for your valuable comment.

I am also wondering about any possible affects on my spouse visa extension (FLR), would I be facing any kind of problem due to benefits my British citizen wife will be getting?

Thanks,

Klopp
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Klopp » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 am

How long after getting ILR are you allowed to start claiming? I recall applying previously and being denied due do being subject to immigration control.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Klopp wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 am
How long after getting ILR are you allowed to start claiming? I recall applying previously and being denied due do being subject to immigration control.
As soon as you have ILR, you are no longer subject to immigration control. Thus, you are then eligible for child benefit.

OP - your wife's cliam will have zero impact on your application.