ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefits as Self-employed - COVID-19

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JJab65
Newly Registered

Benefits as Self-employed - COVID-19

Post by JJab65 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am

Now that the government has announced that the minimum income floor will be abolished for Self-employed due to the Covid-19 situation, as a self-employed person myself this could be very helpful to our current situation.

However my wife is on a FLR-M application and I'm currently under 35 (will turn 35 in two months though). Housing benefit (living in London in a 1 bedroom flat) and Universal Credit could be very useful at this time. However of course I don't want to damage our future chances for my wife's visa application. Previously it was my understanding that it would be better to wait until I turned 35, and then apply for Universal Credit/Housing benefit.

Will the government take the current situation into account and therefore it would be fine to get support for myself at this stage?