ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

16 years ILR, from USA, applying for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ksinise
Newly Registered
United States of America

Naturalisation Queries

Post by Ksinise » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi there!

I have ILR status since 2002 and since then I have worked full time and called england my permanent residence. I was married to a britizen citizen but have divorced him about 6 years ago and resumed use of my maiden name (officially through deed poll name change). Last week I applied for British citizenship and have a few questions regarding the process - any response is appreciated so thank you in advance!

1.i have received an email confirming my application is received and bring considered - despite my application being submitted in my current name, this email addresses me using my previous surname. I have assumed this is because my ILR is in my previous name and am really hoping my application doesnt continue using my old surname. Has anyone experienced this??

2. In regards to evidence / documentation, i plan to bring the following to my appointment to be scanned (I plan to add document scanning to my booking)
- three passports (first included my ILR stamp from 2002, second and third will cover give years worth of stamps to show travel in and out of the country)
- deed poll name change
- 2 signed referral letters
Does this seem to be thorough enough? At the start of the process I was anticipating preparing for a lot more!

3.i never got a BRP card so wonder if they will destroy that page of my passport (with the ILR Stamp)?? I had planned to use that for my first child's British passport application just after my citizenship is in progress

4. I have yet to make my appointment for the biometrics and documentation scanning - but once I do this will there be more (for example interviews?) Or is it just a waiting game??

Thank you in advance for any views!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Naturalisation Queries

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:23 pm

1. Is your current passport in your new name after doing the deed poll?? You are unlikely to be granted citizenship or a British passport if your foreign passport s not in your new name.

2. Do you need to meet the english b1 requirement if you are from a non exempt country?? And life in the UK test??

3. No they won't.

4. No interview. Just wait.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ksinise
Newly Registered
United States of America

Naturalisation Queries

Post by Ksinise » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Thank you!

Yes my current passport is in my maiden name which is officially updated via deed poll. I was very confused when they addressed the acknowledgement email to my previous (married) name. I obviously included my previous married name in the application but it was not the name I used for the "applicant name". I hope its because my married name was used when I was granted ILR. I did confirm with someone official (home office maybe, can't remember) that my IRL was still valid after divorce and I just needed ti carry my deed poll and two passports when travelling which always works for me.

I'm from USA so no need for English language test and I did pass life in the UK and included that code on my digital application. Do I need to bring a copy of the email? I never had a very formal "pass" certificate or anything fancy for it

Thank you for your reply!

Ksinise
Newly Registered
United States of America

16 years ILR, from USA, applying for naturalisation

Post by Ksinise » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi!

I made a couple posts in other sections but have since gone back to read the guidance more thoroughly and see a totally new thread is the better route so here I go!

Background:

I arrived to the UK in 2002 and was granted ILR in 2003. When I arrived I was married to a British citizen and therefore the passport i used when arriving here and which contains my IRL stamp are in my old married name.

Since divorcing, I confirmed my IRL would not be affected and I could update it to the new cards or simply co your using my old passport but is have to bring my deed poll (showing name change) and new passport when travelling. This has always worked for me so I never updated any thing.

Now I am applying for citizenship and it all looks straight forward - I completed the online application including my Life in the UK pass reference code. I have had a full time job, based in England since I arrived and worked for the same company for the last 11 years And included just that one company as my employment history.

Some questions!

1. My acknowledgement email was addressed to my previous known name - my x-married name. Has anyone had this? My application was made in my current name (changed by deed poll, matching my current passport) so why would they address the email to an old name? Perhaps because my IRL was awarded to me when I used that name and never updated? Should I be concerned....??

2. I have stamps for travel in my previous 2 passports which I will be bringing with to my appointment for upload (I have paid extra for document uploading) I travel to Ireland frequently and they nearly always use the 90 day stamp and I rarely (never!) Receive a stamp for arriving back to the UK. I have many stamps going in and out which show frequent holiday, etc but worried that with arrival stamps for each journal I could have been out of the UK for longer than the allowed period. Should I bring extra documents to help say I wasn't? Like letter from employer saying I am not absent from work?

3. I plan to bring for uploading:
- passport (with IRL)
- passport x 2 showing stamps for last 5 years
- deed poll showing name change
- references signed with my photo attached

I don't have a life in the UK certificate, I and an email with a URN, do I print this out for uploading?

I am from USA so exempt from language proof

I feel confident overall and moreso reading recommendations encouraging people to not upload unnecessary documents for evidence but still feels like I should be bringing more

Thank you for taking time to read and for any advice, I appreciate it!

Kim

Ksinise
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: 16 years ILR, from USA, applying for naturalisation

Post by Ksinise » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Sorry there are some annoying auto correct errors in my post. I tried to edit but it wouldn't save so I must have taken too long!

Ksinise
Newly Registered
United States of America

UKVCAS appointment cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Ksinise » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm

My appointment to give biometrics and document scanning for citizenship was cancelled due to staffing issues and coronavirus

They said refunds will be given but didnt give any support on reschedule - just said to review the calendar however when I login it does not say my appointment is cancelled so I cannot reschedule

Should I cancel my appointment and then try to rebook ?

If no one is sure then I will call, there was a number in the footer

Email received is below:

Good Afternoon,

We are getting in touch to cancel your appointment scheduled for 30/03/2020 at the Birmingham Service point. As a result of staff shortages we are unable to service your appointment. Please do not attend the service point as you will not be serviced. We will refund all fees paid for your appointment within 10 working days to the card used to make the payment.

Please review the UKVCAS appointment calendar to rebook.

Apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

Yours sincerely

UKVCAS Customer Services

This service is managed and provided by Sopra Steria.
Please do not reply to this email address; this email is not monitored. Please use the Contact Us page on https://www.UKVCAS.co.uk to make an enquiry or call us on 0330 123 1199.

Sopra Steria is the trading name of the following companies (all registered in England & Wales): (i) Sopra Steria Limited (No. 04077975) (ii) Sopra Group Ltd (No. 01643041) (iii) Sopra Group Holding Ltd (No. 01588948)

Sopra Steria is the trading name of the following companies (all registered in England & Wales): (i) Sopra Steria Limited (No. 04077975) (ii) Sopra Group Ltd (No. 01643041) (iii) Sopra Group Holding Ltd (No. 01588948)

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:48 pm

You have to go online and cancel your appointment, and then book another one. They will refund in 10 days. Contact UKVCAS to rebook.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Ksinise
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Ksinise » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 am

Thank you!