ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Corona virus and Ceremony date

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Prisha
Mood:
India

Corona virus and Ceremony date

Post by Prisha » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:06 am

Hi moderators,

I am in very weird situation and kindly need your valuable suggestions.

I am in India right now on holiday with my 3 year old. We came in Jan and supposed to travel back on 30th March. I did my and my lilttle ones Citizenship application in December 2019 before coming to India which is successfull and got approval letter in Jan. So I have booked my ceremony on 15th April.

(This is my last date from free slots as we have to book a ceremony date within 3 months of approval letter date.)

But now due to current Corona virus situation I am confused about travel. Should I do it or Postpone it?
I am worried what if UK also ban the travelers?

I am ready to book private ceremony if I wont travel now. But will council people help me and understand my situation?

Is it possible to book private ceremony once I am in UK because right now I have no idea what is the next plan . Considering UK medical system I feel safe here as I have my family.

But at the same I really dnt want to make failure my application.
So can anyone suggest me best possible solution here. Really confused!! Frustrating!!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Corona virus and Ceremony date

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:31 am

Considering UK medical system I feel safe here as I have my family.
If you are in a safe place, stay where you are.

I hope the Home Office would do something about these deadlines but even if they don't, worst case scenario the certificate will be returned to the Home Office and the application fails. You will have to do it again later and pay the fees.

But as the situation is evolving in Europe at the moment, I wouldn't risk the trip if I were you.

Prisha
Mood:
India

Post by Prisha » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 am

Doing application all over again is something I really dnt want to do. I totally understand life is more important all over this but we have spend quite a lot on this too.

Is there way I could write a letter to home office and explain them my scenario so that they will help me with some option?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:35 pm

You can always do that but I don't believe they will look at it sympathetically.

When you applied for citizenship you declared that you will live in the UK. That intention can be questioned if even before getting your certificate you are already abroad for an extended period of time.

I never encourage people to interact from abroad with the Home Office about anything related to a citizenship application.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:17 am

Prisha wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 am
Doing application all over again is something I really dnt want to do. I totally understand life is more important all over this but we have spend quite a lot on this too.

Is there way I could write a letter to home office and explain them my scenario so that they will help me with some option?
You could have paid for a private ceremony before travelling. Yes, coronavirus is a global issue now, but your case is not special because you had enough time to get your ceremony sorted before travelling but you chose to travel and you have stayed away for a long period already. Many flights are getting cancelled already, so I don't know if you will be able to travel to the UK.
As you have been told, life is more valuable, you might want to consider staying where you are until things settle.
Do you have an employer to report to in the UK?
You can write to the HO but again, as you have been advised, your case is not necessarily special. But you can still try, you might get a favourable response. But be ready to explain to the HO what you are doing in away for almost 3 months immediately after a successful naturalisation application.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 am

Let's put a positive spin on this. Yes, the case is special. There was a plan, booked a ceremony for 15th April because of the council availability and convenience. There was a global emergency so you couldn't attend ceremony (or ceremony gets cancelled anyway). This is all special and looks good. The downside is the "extended" travel - it's not that extended <3months, it's visiting family.

Now, the rules are bent here either way. HO needs to exercise discretion but they don't have to. It's the compassion of a person or two and it can go either way.

As mentioned supporting evidence of established life in the UK will help, but there is no rule. Is there a plan for your son to start school soon?

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:02 pm

vaza wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 am
Let's put a positive spin on this. Yes, the case is special. There was a plan, booked a ceremony for 15th April because of the council availability and convenience. There was a global emergency so you couldn't attend ceremony (or ceremony gets cancelled anyway). This is all special and looks good. The downside is the "extended" travel - it's not that extended <3months, it's visiting family.

Now, the rules are bent here either way. HO needs to exercise discretion but they don't have to. It's the compassion of a person or two and it can go either way.

As mentioned supporting evidence of established life in the UK will help, but there is no rule. Is there a plan for your son to start school soon?
I agree that's it's good to see the positive side of life. However, honesty is important here. Did the OP book 15th April because the council couldn't offer any ceremony earlier or the OP booked a date that perfectly fits into his/her travel plans? Nothing is wrong with that though.
But if you are going to be contacting the HO, it is important to say the truth.
At the end of the day, we will expect the HO to express some discretion due to the outbreak of Coronavirus. I think such discretions will be on a case by case.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Cocokrishan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Cocokrishan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 pm

I have just rang my council wanting to book a private ceremony, they've said to me that there will be no more ceremonies till further notice. They will be posting letters tomorrow to everyone awaiting to attend a ceremony so I think you will be fine.

Prisha
Mood:
India

Post by Prisha » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi

Thank you all for your replies.

I travelled to India after my biometrics. That time I was not sure thta my application will be successful withing 3 weeks. My general thought was it might take 3 to 6 months. But by my luck I got approval letter just after 3 weeks of biometric submission.

My husband was in UK so he called coucil to book ceremony they have 2 options 15 March and 15 April. So we booked 15 April. As my travel was fix for 3 months. But now situation has changed, I am still due to fly on 30th march. But I feel its risky especially for my 3 year old. So decided to stay back.

When my husband who is still in uk called council they said March is the last month they are going to conduct ceremony all ceremonies from April are cancelled untill further notice because many people who are in uk and booked for 15th april are worried about attenting ceremony due to corona virus pandemic.

I am worried because I have not received any official letter regarding cancellation yet. But as many people here getting it probably I mighg get it too. Hoping for best.

Prisha
Mood:
India

Post by Prisha » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:48 am

And also when we called to book ceremony there was no private ceremony date available before this date so we booked the free one.

To answer questions of vaza, my kid is 3 so she goes to nursery and I am also permanent employee so yes I have employer to report.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 am

Prisha wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:48 am
And also when we called to book ceremony there was no private ceremony date available before this date so we booked the free one.

To answer questions of vaza, my kid is 3 so she goes to nursery and I am also permanent employee so yes I have employer to report.

I think you will be fine. If your ceremony is postponed, the HO/Council will rearrange it once things calm down. Flying around this time is not advised. If your employer is happy for you to work from home, you might want to consider staying where you are now until things become clearer.
Your safety and wellbeing are more important.

mpandey
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by mpandey » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Prisha wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:14 pm
Hi

Thank you all for your replies.

I travelled to India after my biometrics. That time I was not sure thta my application will be successful withing 3 weeks. My general thought was it might take 3 to 6 months. But by my luck I got approval letter just after 3 weeks of biometric submission.

My husband was in UK so he called coucil to book ceremony they have 2 options 15 March and 15 April. So we booked 15 April. As my travel was fix for 3 months. But now situation has changed, I am still due to fly on 30th march. But I feel its risky especially for my 3 year old. So decided to stay back.

When my husband who is still in uk called council they said March is the last month they are going to conduct ceremony all ceremonies from April are cancelled untill further notice because many people who are in uk and booked for 15th april are worried about attenting ceremony due to corona virus pandemic.

I am worried because I have not received any official letter regarding cancellation yet. But as many people here getting it probably I mighg get it too. Hoping for best.
We (for my wife & daughter only) had ceremony booked for 6th April and received cancellation email today that all April appointments are cancelled. We are still in UK and not similar situation as yours, but totally understand your dilemma.