ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can’t enter UK within 30 days due to coronavirus

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Urchin
Newly Registered

Can’t enter UK within 30 days due to coronavirus

Post by Urchin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Hello, my US-based wife has been granted a spouse visa to join me in the UK. She needs to enter the country within 30 days, so by 24th April 2020.

She has already had one flight cancelled as a result of the pandemic. I am also concerned that if she does make it over, we will struggle to find somewhere to stay immediately due to business being closed (i am in a shared house where she cannot join me)

Does anyone know what happens if she does not enter the UK within 30 days? Is there a way to have this period extended?

Many thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Can’t enter UK within 30 days due to coronavirus

Post by seagul » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Urchin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 pm
, we will struggle to find somewhere to stay immediately due to business being closed (i am in a shared house where she cannot join me)
At the moment there is only one latest announcement which applicable to those already in UK who will get auto renewal until May. Maybe in next few days similar facilitation be introduced for those trapped outside of UK. Regarding finding new accomodation so unless you knows someone who is willing to support your family better to delay your plans because for finding new place you will have to go through the right of rent checks (unless govt suspend this requirement temporarily) for which the relevant agencies are already closed.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Raftasy
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Raftasy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 am

Hi

We are in exactly the same position. My wife a Nigerian citizen was also granted spouse visa entry clearance valid until 24th April. Flight cancelled twice also and I am worried that due to happy trigger lockdown been initiated by government around the world, she may not be able to enter the uk by then. Home office apparently haia dedicated coronavirus impact helpline.. you should email them. CIM@homeoffice.gov.uk . I understand they will reply with 5 working day's. Or 08006781767.. lets share note if you happen to get a response from them...

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 am

Urchin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 pm
Hello, my US-based wife has been granted a spouse visa to join me in the UK. She needs to enter the country within 30 days, so by 24th April 2020.

She has already had one flight cancelled as a result of the pandemic. I am also concerned that if she does make it over, we will struggle to find somewhere to stay immediately due to business being closed (i am in a shared house where she cannot join me)

Does anyone know what happens if she does not enter the UK within 30 days? Is there a way to have this period extended?

Many thanks
How did you fulfill the accommodation requirement with your application then? Did something happen with that one?

Urchin
Newly Registered

Post by Urchin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 am

Many thanks for responses so far - seems like we are going to have a wait and see what happens over the coming weeks.

Regarding the accomodation requirement, this was done using my mother’s address, however, as she is in her 70’s it is far from ideal for us to both move in there at the current time

Urchin
Newly Registered

Post by Urchin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am

Raftasy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 am
Hi

We are in exactly the same position. My wife a Nigerian citizen was also granted spouse visa entry clearance valid until 24th April. Flight cancelled twice also and I am worried that due to happy trigger lockdown been initiated by government around the world, she may not be able to enter the uk by then. Home office apparently haia dedicated coronavirus impact helpline.. you should email them. CIM@homeoffice.gov.uk . I understand they will reply with 5 working day's. Or 08006781767.. lets share note if you happen to get a response from them...

I have just received this response from the email helpdesk - as expected, not particularly helpful!

Thank you for contacting the Home Office Coronavirus Immigration Team.

Our dedicated helpline team can only provide guidance relating to immigration matters directly connected to coronavirus queries.

The latest information and advice can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents

The latest travel advice can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advi ... oronavirus

Coronavirus Immigration Team

sohail111

Post by sohail111 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

Urchin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am
Raftasy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 am
Hi

I have just received this response from the email helpdesk - as expected, not particularly helpful!

Thank you for contacting the Home Office Coronavirus Immigration Team.

Our dedicated helpline team can only provide guidance relating to immigration matters directly connected to coronavirus queries.

The latest information and advice can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents

The latest travel advice can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advi ... oronavirus

Coronavirus Immigration Team
same issue, two flights to uk been cancelled
the helpline advised me to email the CIH team and they will respond within 5 days.
However, if the above is the response, its not very helpful

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:09 pm

Urchin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 am
Many thanks for responses so far - seems like we are going to have a wait and see what happens over the coming weeks.

Regarding the accomodation requirement, this was done using my mother’s address, however, as she is in her 70’s it is far from ideal for us to both move in there at the current time
This is very considerate of you! I guess you just need to wait, there's not a lot we all can do except for staying at home.

billybig
Newly Registered

Post by billybig » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:37 pm

We are in the same situation albeit a little different. My fiancee entered the UK prior to her Fiancee visa start date using an old (but still valid) visa.
We were advised by the immigration officer to leave the country and return to activate the visa. It looks like that won't be possible now.
Will send an email to that address but bit of a weird one...!

Urchin
Newly Registered

Post by Urchin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:33 am

So a small update - my wife’s state in the US has just announced a full lockdown until the end of April and so i think it is very unlikely she will be able to get her flight on 22nd April.

It seems that changing the vignette dates will be difficult as everything is closed and this would require a new biometrics. Does anyone know the situation if we just let the vignette expire and just wait from UK government announcements? Does this invalidate the visa or should she be able to get a new entry date when the world is normal again...?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:37 am

Her visa doesn't get invalidated. She simply needs a new 30 visa vignette at some point.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Urchin
Newly Registered

Post by Urchin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 am

Ok that is helpful, thank you.

So do you see that as being our best course of action?

I am hoping that the government will just allow people with expired vignettes due to inability to travel to enter at a later date without reapplying for a new entry date. However, this far from guaranteed and if they still require you to reapply and do a biometrics again, the process could take some time...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 am

You would need a valid visa vignette to be able to board a plane.

I suggest keep an eye on the UKVI updates. HOs priority in terms of visas at the are those who are in the UK with expired or soon to expire visas who are unable to apply for extensions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sohail111

Post by sohail111 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Urchin wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 am
Ok that is helpful, thank you.

So do you see that as being our best course of action?

I am hoping that the government will just allow people with expired vignettes due to inability to travel to enter at a later date without reapplying for a new entry date. However, this far from guaranteed and if they still require you to reapply and do a biometrics again, the process could take some time...
I have emailed my local mp. I suggest you do the same too. They are supportive

Urchin
Newly Registered

Post by Urchin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:22 pm

So it now appears that expired vignettes will be renewed free of charge and be valid until the end of 2020. Need to email HO and then send passport to visa processing office once these reopen to obtain new entry date.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... s#helpline

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:56 pm

o it now appears that expired vignettes will be renewed free of charge and be valid until the end of 2020. Need to email HO and then send passport to visa processing office once these reopen to obtain new entry date.

Yes Urchin, that is the latest development.