ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application (January 2020) and incorrect name on the confirmation e-mail

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nat4699
Newly Registered

Naturalisation application (January 2020) and incorrect name on the confirmation e-mail

Post by nat4699 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 pm

I submitted my application for citizenship on the 11th of January and still haven't heard from Home Office. I haven't thought much of it as it has not been six months yet, and especially with the coronavirus situation at the moment.

However, I have just noticed that the automatic e-mail confirmation I got back in January after submitting my application online has my old surname on it. I changed my surname in 2017 and recorded this in my application, as well as attaching my deed poll from my country of origin with English translation. Virtually all my supporting documents, and chiefly my passport, are in my current, "proper" surname. My application record in .pdf that I downloaded also states my current surname at the top. Sopra Steria checked my passport and application details and accepted my biometric enrolment as well in January - all in my current name.

I'm afraid now that Home Office will accuse me of using a false identity or reject my application based on this - which I believe to be a technical glitch...

I contacted their call centre and was told to e-mail and send a cover letter by post, which I did. I posted my explanation to Department 1 in Liverpool with my case ID on it, and I e-mailed furthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk also quoting my reference numbers and attaching my application summary (with my current name). I don't feel like the call centre advisor was very knowledgeable though (they told me, among other things, to reply to the inbox I got that automatic confirmation e-mail from, even though it states not to reply to them... I did, anyway - just in case).

I would be grateful for any advice on this - do you think I have done all that can be done? Maybe someone changed their name and was in a similar situation (I'm 99% sure that I completed this information correctly in the application form)?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Naturalisation application (January 2020) and incorrect name on the confirmation e-mail

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:50 pm

As far as I know, the naturalisation certificate often bears both your name at birth and your new name.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

nat4699
Newly Registered

Re: Naturalisation application (January 2020) and incorrect name on the confirmation e-mail

Post by nat4699 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 am

Even with this being the case, why would Home Office system suddenly address the confirmation e-mail to my previous name (without mentioning my current surname at all)? I'm worried that there's a glitch in the system and just hoping that the caseworker notices it... (or at least that it doesn't impact the outcome of my application - even if they issued me my naturalisation certificate in the wrong name, I can correct it).

I was told by one of the customer service representatives that - apparently - the procedures had changed and now with these kinds of mistakes Home Office would contact me to clarify.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem after mentioning a change of name on their application?

Also, this is how I recorded my former surname on my application (from the .pdf record copy):
Other names: Name Previous Surname
Why have you been known by another name? Other
Reasons for other: Surname officially changed with the government of my country of origin
If you legally changed your name, provide the date: Date
Did you enter the UK using this name? Yes

I didn't see any other way of recording my name change, but even if this is wrong - if my whole application is recorded under my current name, so is my passport and all other documents approved by Sopra Steria, then surely the caseworker would realise this is an error?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Wait to see if this is going to be problem or not
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice