ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - Good character question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

toto32
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

British Citizenship - Good character question

Post by toto32 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Dear members,

I am currently in the process of applying for British Citizenship through naturalization.

My situation is as follows, around 5 years ago I pleaded guilty for travelling without a ticket (yes , TFL prosecuted me).I paid the fine (around 300 pounds).

As far as I understand, I will be asked during the application process to declare fines.

However, I checked both my DBS and PNC and there is no trace of anything. Clean record.

I read an explanation that once you pay the TFL fine it actually doesn't go towards any criminal record (someone offered a legal explanation on another post).

With this being said, I have 2 questions:

1. Do I have to declare something which doesn't show up on any record?

2. Based on my research, others had simmilar issues and did not declare them and their application was accepted with no issues. Does Home Office checks other details other than PNC / DBS ?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

zimba
Mood:

Re: British Citizenship - Good character question

Post by zimba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:30 pm

You are misunderstanding what gets on your criminal record. Only recordable offences get on that (recordable offences are serious offences that could carry a prison sentence). A Basic DBS check only shows unspent recordable offences anyway. Minor offences like the one you described never ever end up there and will not even be on the PNC database. Fines for minor offence are left to be enforced by local authorities and you should face no issues unless you challenge it/do not pay and you end up in court. I suggest to declare it but it has no effect
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Declaring it is unlikely to have a serious effect.

Not declaring it could land you in a world of trouble for non-declaration.

Amanda
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:02 am

I don't agree with # avjones
Not declaring that shouldn't affect your application

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:19 pm

It is better to declare it. It will not cause any harm to your application, especially when it's five years ago.
So I will also advise that you declare it.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

toto33
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by toto33 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I am inclined not to declare it, reason being is that to my knowledge the Home Office does not check other records other than the Police National Computer which in my case the record is clean.

I don't see how would they find out about the fine.

On top of that, even if I want to declare it I no longer have the documentation so I don't know how much I paid, when the fine was issued etc. I have no trace of it, I can only offer approximations.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:16 pm

toto33 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:42 pm

I am inclined not to declare it, reason being is that to my knowledge the Home Office does not check other records other than the Police National Computer which in my case the record is clean.

On top of that, even if I want to declare it I no longer have the documentation so I don't know how much I paid, when the fine was issued etc. I have no trace of it, I can only offer approximations.
It's your choice if you decide not to declare. You might be fine, but don't underestimate the amount of data the HO have access to
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 pm

toto33 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:42 pm

It has no effect whether you declare it or not.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice