ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New COVID Update on Passport Applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anits
Newly Registered
United States of America

Apply for first UK passport now or wait? (coronavirus situation)

Post by anits » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:00 pm

I had my citizenship ceremony today and I was going to apply for a British passport immediately. However, in light of the coronavirus situation I'm not sure if the Home Office will be continuing normal operations so I don't want my current passport lying in a mailbox or being held by the Home Office for a very long time (in case I decide to travel home to the U.S. to see family). How likely is it that UK passport applications will be disrupted due to coronavirus?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Apply for first UK passport now or wait? (coronavirus situation)

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:08 pm

Many people in businesses and administrations are working from home but I don't see them making passports from home.

Don't send you passport at the moment. Who knows when you get it back? If this situation escalates, it could get stuck in the system for a while.

Still, HMPO are very approachable by phone. No call centre or excessive waiting time. You can call them and ask how is the situation with them.

zulu4554
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by zulu4554 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:42 pm

anits wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:00 pm
I had my citizenship ceremony today and I was going to apply for a British passport immediately. However, in light of the coronavirus situation I'm not sure if the Home Office will be continuing normal operations so I don't want my current passport lying in a mailbox or being held by the Home Office for a very long time (in case I decide to travel home to the U.S. to see family). How likely is it that UK passport applications will be disrupted due to coronavirus?
The twitter handle for the HM Passport Office is saying currently there is no change to their processing timelines for standard applications, worth having a check with them. My documents were received by them on 20th March and earlier today (25/03) see that my application is under process

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:49 pm

I got my first adult passport printed at Peterborough in person due to a critical reason as I support government in crisis situations.

As a part of that I got an SMS (standard notification) saying applications are being processed but will take longer.

If you can afford to not have your documents for 3 to 4 months do send them in or wait till this crisis is resolved in the next year.

anits
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by anits » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:51 pm

I decided to wait since it seems they're not processing non-essential passport applications now. Although I bet there will be a lot of backlog once the passport office opens again after quarantine, so my application will probably be delayed when I eventually do submit it.

anits
Newly Registered
United States of America

New COVID Update on Passport Applications

Post by anits » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 am

From https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport :

"It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19). Do not apply unless you’re travelling before September 2020 or you need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons."

Since they have now added that you can apply if you are traveling before September 2020, if I provided them evidence of travel (i.e. plane tickets) will this be enough to get my passport before then? I attended my citizenship ceremony at the end of March but haven't applied for a passport because of how long they are currently taking to process applications. I've already traveled out of the UK on my American passport recently.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Re: New COVID Update on Passport Applications

Post by vaza » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am

Why are you in a hurry to have UK passport (seriously)? I believe as a non-visa passport holder airlines will let you board and then present yourself as British at the border. I'll let others confirm this is easy. Visa passport holders have a problem with this. Also third country visa requirements for British and Americans are quite similar.

If you apply for a passport you are stuck as you have to send all your valid passports (except EU citizens can use ID cards till December). You have to speak to passport office for the exact process. Some are getting passports without this, but the timescales vary wildly - just send the application.

If you need passport in the UK to rent or benefits, hospital treatment, that's another matter and you should also speak to passport office on that.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:23 am

vaza wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am
Why are you in a hurry to have UK passport (seriously)? I believe as a non-visa passport holder airlines will let you board and then present yourself as British at the border. I'll let others confirm this is easy. Visa passport holders have a problem with this. Also third country visa requirements for British and Americans are quite similar.

If you apply for a passport you are stuck as you have to send all your valid passports (except EU citizens can use ID cards till December). You have to speak to passport office for the exact process. Some are getting passports without this, but the timescales vary wildly - just send the application.

If you need passport in the UK to rent or benefits, hospital treatment, that's another matter and you should also speak to passport office on that.
In my understanding if you have been to the ceremony you need to send your brp back within 5 days. So you will be left with no brp. So when i travel, im always asked for brp even when im leaving my own country in order to go to uk. From my travel experience i think i will
Be having lots of issues on the borders. Also my home country doesnt allow dual citizenship, so on arrival i have to show either UK visa or British passport. I wont have either after the ceremony. So i totally understand the urgency for some people to receive British passport

anits
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by anits » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:51 pm

vaza wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am

I have plans to travel to the EU in August and September but as a US passport holder I'm currently banned from entering the EU because of coronavirus restrictions. I also need to obtain my UK passport by September anyway in order to enrol as a home student on the university course I'm starting. I'm not sure if sending flight tickets or obtaining a letter from the university would help speed up my passport application, and I don't want to be left passport-less for a prolonged period of time if it doesn't.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:12 am

This may help on EU travel:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... andemic_en

Although annoyingly airlines or border control may not be aware of the subtleties.

I suggest you speak to passport office about your concerns - you have to if you want a passport before September. Also speak to the university what they require as documents.

Nothing is ideal :(.