ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MikeyQ
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by MikeyQ » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Hello folks, first time poster here. Had seen that MKCG has just recently applied and it was taking a wee while to get a response in regards to documents being received. I sent my documents away a week yesterday from Glasgow, arrived in Dublin on Thursday and they where received in Balbriggan on the AN website on Friday 20th but no confirmation from the FBR department. Hopefully MKCG’s are there too and, as Sulla has mentioned, everything appears to be pretty much closed going forward so we will see how things develop. People being safe and healthy is the main thing. Stay safe folks!

SueRollTide
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by SueRollTide » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:30 pm

I just wanted to thank Sulla and all his moderators for providing this wonderfull site and helping us all out with getting through this difficult process in difficult times were blessed to have such genrous peeps stay safe every one!

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm

MikeyQ wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:35 pm
Hello folks, first time poster here. Had seen that MKCG has just recently applied and it was taking a wee while to get a response in regards to documents being received. I sent my documents away a week yesterday from Glasgow, arrived in Dublin on Thursday and they where received in Balbriggan on the AN website on Friday 20th but no confirmation from the FBR department. Hopefully MKCG’s are there too and, as Sulla has mentioned, everything appears to be pretty much closed going forward so we will see how things develop. People being safe and healthy is the main thing. Stay safe folks!
Hi Mikey
I’ve just had an email from anpost to say the docs have been delivered but no email for FBR office as yet. I’m not expecting anything from them for a while to be honest.

I think the 12 month wait will be 24 months by the end of this crisis

Stay safe everyone

MikeyQ
Newly Registered

Post by MikeyQ » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm

MKCG wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm
MikeyQ wrote:
Hi Mikey
I’ve just had an email from anpost to say the docs have been delivered but no email for FBR office as yet. I’m not expecting anything from them for a while to be honest.

Stay safe everyone
Just received the confirmation email this afternoon from dfat.ie that my application has now been received so I’d imagine you’ll get the same in the next couple of days.

Absolutely, I think we’ll be in for a wee bit longer of a wait but completely understandable.

All the best and good health to you and yours.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:48 pm

They are working normal hours but with less capacity due to either minding kids or having restrictions in workplace and commute. So we expect delays and as what the phone lad told me: keep trying if you cant catch up with ya.

Axle
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Axle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 am

MikeyQ wrote:

Axle
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Axle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 am

Hi all
I have some questions as I submitted an application to the Irish Embassy in Madrid to be placed on the Irish FBR in October 2018 followed up by further supporting documents in November 2018.
One year later in November 2019 the Embassy contacted me presumably it took one year to begin to process the application, not sure what happened while the application was there for a year.
They asked me to submit an original death certificate for my father, my bad as I submitted a photocopy, long story. I knew when I did it that it might not be accepted but in the end I had to fly overseas to Asia in person to be able to obtain the death certificate. Which I then submitted in January 2020 whereafter the embassy contacted me by email and said my application had been sent to Dublin for final approval.
I called the DFT in Dublin who told me that the application had arrived in February 2020 and would take up too 12 months to process.
My questions are the following

1. From when does the process start and finish from in regards to up too 12 months for more complicated cases.
2. What actually happens during processing at the Embassy
3. Because the application was initially processed at the Embassy does that mean that the processing time in the DFT will be faster.
4. What does final approval mean.

On another note can anybody recommend a good genaologist that I can use in Ireland to trace my roots back even further than my Irish grandparent with whom I am making my application through to be placed on the Irish FBR.

Thanks in advance..

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:01 pm

MikeyQ wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm
MKCG wrote:
MikeyQ wrote:
Hi Mikey

Stay safe everyone
Just received the confirmation email this afternoon from dfat.ie that my application has now been received so I’d imagine you’ll get the same in the next couple of days.

Absolutely, I think we’ll be in for a wee bit longer of a wait but completely understandable.

Cheers pal

I’ll update when I get an email from them. Probably will be next few days as you say.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:24 am

Regarding the return of supporting docs and FBR certificate after receiving your passport - I attempted to webchat with the passport office yesterday and wait times were 408 minutes (!!) but reached someone immediately first thing today. I have an urgent need for the return of my FBR cert and let the agent know the specifics, she came back after a few minutes to let me know that they would try to expedite their return but "We are facing a big backlog in returning documents at the moment so I dont have an exact time on when you will receive them. We will try to get them back to you in the coming weeks." She said I can go back to them in a couple of weeks and they should be able to provide me with a tracking number. For the sake of timelines, I'm at 5 weeks waiting. So if you need your FBR certificate, it goes without saying that patience is going to come in handy!

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm

MikeyQ wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm
MKCG wrote:
MikeyQ wrote:
Hi Mikey

Stay safe everyone

That’s me got my receipt of document delivery through from dfa ie.
now for the long waiting game

rhughes
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rhughes » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 pm

"I have waived / refunded all rents for Q1 and Q2 on all commercial and residential properties that I own - including those in the UK, Italy and Ireland. I would urge anyone else here to help others out if they are able to. Remember there is light (and FBR inclusion) at the end of the tunnel."

Sulla, you're awesome!

smc0502430
Newly Registered

Post by smc0502430 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 pm

I applied in October 2019 and to be fair in the current situation not expecting to hear anything until 2021 at this rate.

My query is around returning of documents, anyone who has completed the process do they contact you before returning your documents to make sure you are still at the same address? the issue I have is that as soon as the EU internal borders reopen I will be moving and I want to reduce how long I set the royal mail redirect if possible as it costs a fortune

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 pm

smc0502430 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 pm
I applied in October 2019 and to be fair in the current situation not expecting to hear anything until 2021 at this rate.

My query is around returning of documents, anyone who has completed the process do they contact you before returning your documents to make sure you are still at the same address? the issue I have is that as soon as the EU internal borders reopen I will be moving and I want to reduce how long I set the royal mail redirect if possible as it costs a fortune
Yes they will send an address confirmation email before your documents are returned. The wait time from the time you receive that email to the time your documents are returned varies greatly, I think it was nearly a month for me but others have waited far less time and some have waited longer.

chrisinpm
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by chrisinpm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Just wondering - does anyone have any insight into how long it takes for a newly-minted Irish citizen to receive their Irish passport?

I was directed to send it to the New York City consulate and it was signed for late last week so I know they received it. Was just wondering (a) how long it took to get into the tracking database and (b) how long it took till I got the passport in the mail?

I understand that the virus will no doubt up-end any estimates people give me, but wanted to get an idea of how long it took under normal circumstances for those applying from the USA. Thanks!

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:22 pm

It took approx 3-4 weeks for my mum (uk passport holder) to apply for her first Irish passport via her dad being born in Ireland.

This was applied for from Scotland and was also pre corona crisis.

I don’t know how if that helps you any given your location.

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm

chrisinpm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 pm
Just wondering - does anyone have any insight into how long it takes for a newly-minted Irish citizen to receive their Irish passport?

I was directed to send it to the New York City consulate and it was signed for late last week so I know they received it. Was just wondering (a) how long it took to get into the tracking database and (b) how long it took till I got the passport in the mail?

I understand that the virus will no doubt up-end any estimates people give me, but wanted to get an idea of how long it took under normal circumstances for those applying from the USA. Thanks!
Hey!

My passport arrived a few weeks ago. To get my passport to Toronto took about 11 weeks. Although this was right before the virus. When I applied they told me to expect it to arrive within 12-14 weeks.

chrisinpm
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by chrisinpm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 pm

OK thanks. I'm guessing 5 months considering the impact of the virus on things. Thankfully I'm not on a particular timetable.

If it hasn't already been added into the passport application tracking system I'm guessing that happens when the application arrives in Ireland for processing, and not while the consulate in the US has it.

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a novice. I submitted my application in Beijing, China last August. I have never received an email. Is this normal?
My documents are all complete. Will they not accept my application because I am Chinese?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:05 am

maishun wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:33 pm
Hello everyone, I'm a novice. I submitted my application in Beijing, China last August. I have never received an email. Is this normal?
My documents are all complete. Will they not accept my application because I am Chinese?
Quite normal. You will not get a receipt email from the DFA in Dublin because your application followed the embassy route. You had to submit the documents in person. Therefore, you know they have been received.

If you want an update on the status of your application, then you can email the Beijing embassy. I also applied in China and the communication was pretty efficient.

Most applications are taking around a year right now and you are nowhere near that mark. However for comparison, my own application was also submitted in mid August (of 2018) and I got everything back in late March 2019. Obviously, one year on, application volume and the impact of the virus on operations will play a role in how swiftly you receive your FBR certificate.

I am not ethnically Chinese, so I cannot directly compare our experiences. However, I do not think it is remotely possible that you will experience any discrimination. Everyone is facing delays. Having applied from China, you might actually wait less time than others.

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:53 pm

chrisinpm wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 pm
OK thanks. I'm guessing 5 months considering the impact of the virus on things. Thankfully I'm not on a particular timetable.

If it hasn't already been added into the passport application tracking system I'm guessing that happens when the application arrives in Ireland for processing, and not while the consulate in the US has it.
Yah mine didn't show up for at least I month if I recall. They have to get through all of the other applicants before your's at the embassy. Your's will show up soon enough though.

Good luck

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Notice on DFA FBR page:

"Please note that we have stopped processing Foreign Birth Registrations. If you have already sent an application for Foreign Birth Registration, your application is safe and will be processed once we resume services.

Passport Service staff have been redeployed to assist public service delivery during this public health emergency.

Our phones lines are also closed during this time."

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:12 pm

fvigaud wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm
Notice on DFA FBR page:

"Please note that we have stopped processing Foreign Birth Registrations. If you have already sent an application for Foreign Birth Registration, your application is safe and will be processed once we resume services.

Passport Service staff have been redeployed to assist public service delivery during this public health emergency.

Ugh, gutted about this but understandable. I'm a July 2019 applicant and was looking forward to being a citizen during the summer. Looks like that will delay it by at least 3-6 months now. Oh well, the wait continues, it is what it is. Not like we can travel anywhere at the moment anyway!

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:22 pm

Another July 2019 applicant here. So disappointed, but much more important that resources can be redeployed to help during the crisis. Good luck and patience to all who are still waiting. We'll get there.

Tom

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:55 pm

fvigaud wrote:
Notice on DFA FBR page:

If we have already paid the fee and were about to mail the package...best to wait till services resume I assume just in case they shut down mail services as well?

Knew I should have just coughed up the extra $50 for vitalchek...Instead, still waiting for one last birth certificate from NJ for over 2 months now... :?
My sister is due in August...crossing my fingers things calm down ASAP, both for the world and the baby's sake!

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:29 pm

cdfly wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:55 pm
fvigaud wrote:
Notice on DFA FBR page:

Knew I should have just coughed up the extra $50 for vitalchek...Instead, still waiting for one last birth certificate from NJ for over 2 months now... :?
My sister is due in August...crossing my fingers things calm down ASAP, both for the world and the baby's sake!
well, I did vital check at some point over a year ago, submitted on April 26th 2019, and still didn't get to the top of the queue before the Corona virus emergency hit :( Was probably just a couple of weeks away.

But what we all face now is, of course, of paramount importance. Good to see that DFA is redeploying personnel as needed. Fingers crossed that we'll see the other side of this mountain soon(ish).

Stay safe all.