ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU spouse rights if in the UK on a Tier 2 visa

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Nicola_DG
Newly Registered
Portugal

Non-EU spouse rights if in the UK on a Tier 2 visa

Post by Nicola_DG » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi there,

My husband and I came to the UK just over a year ago, we were dating at the time. We are both from South Africa but I am EU national as well (I'm Portuguese). I already have my pe-settled status. He is here on a tier 2 general work visa. We recently got married and he has now applied for his pre-settled status but we don't know how long it will be for he receives it. Is he able to start working at another company while he waits for his pre-settled status as we are married or will he have to stick it out with his current company which has sponsored his work visa ?

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you go about figuring all of this out?

Thank you

Richard W
- thin ice -

Re: Non-EU spouse rights if in the UK on a Tier 2 visa

Post by Richard W » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:49 pm

Nicola_DG wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:26 pm
Is he able to start working at another company while he waits for his pre-settled status as we are married...
If you're exercising 'treaty rights' (e.g. working), then legally yes, but most new employers will insist on seeing evidence of pre-settled status (or an imminent residence card had he applied for that). Just on the basis of your pre-settled status, he has to wait until he too has pre-settled status.