ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizen in hong kong

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mohsinalii
Newly Registered
Mood:

british citizen in hong kong

Post by mohsinalii » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm

my father is a British citizen (holds british passport) not by birth and is currently living in hong kong and has never been to uk . he wants to settle in uk from where should he start i mean the process and what kind of benefits is entitled to in uk as he 74 years old.
please advice

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Re: british citizen in hong kong

Post by THO » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Has he paid income tax and NI in the UK?

What income support do you need?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:18 pm

As a British citizen he is free to enter the UK - he has a British passport.
He will need to pass a "habitual residence test" before any benefits may be available (applies to Brit. citizens as well as migrants).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:35 pm

my father is a British citizen (holds british passport) not by birth and is currently living in hong kong and has never been to uk
How did your father become a British citizen? Under "Nationality" passport states "British Citizen"?
https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

mohsinalii
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by mohsinalii » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:09 pm

hes never been to UK so he doesn't have NI or any other document he only has British passport which he got as British dependent territory citizens bcaz he opted for British passport instead of hksar passport when he was given option back in 1997 in hong kong..

this is how his passport looks like

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 pm

So essentially he could arrive at the UK border and will be admitted. But he will not immediately be entitled to benefits.
Refer to this link on the habitual residence test: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... -benefits/

mohsinalii
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by mohsinalii » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:21 pm

thanks for the quick reply sir.. i understand that he will not be given or entitled to any benefits immediately .. i will look into the link for details and will study it thoroughly thanks.

mohsinalii
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by mohsinalii » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm

and another question what about his me which visa i can apply as i dont have the british citizen ship only my father has..

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:37 pm

mohsinalii wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm
and another question what about his me which visa i can apply as i dont have the british citizen ship only my father has..
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/child
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:59 pm

mohsinalii wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm
Presumably you are already over 18. If that is the case, there is no visa route for you based on your father being British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:00 pm

Do you have your father's registration as a British citizen certificate? It should state the date that he was registered and more crucially the section that he was registered under. That would help clarify if you are eligible to apply under the same provisions.

But, assuming that you are over the age of 18, as CR001 mentioned above, there is no visa to accompany your father just because he is a British citizen now.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.