ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not sure about claiming funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Yasar
Newly Registered

Not sure about claiming funds

Post by Yasar » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi

My wife’s visa always has a no recourse to public funds but I was always allowed to claim working tax credits, child tax credits and child benefit on my name. But on the most recent visa it says ‘ you are not entitled to receive public funds. In addition your sponsor is not entitled to claim or receive public funds on your behalf’.
Does this mean I’m not allowed to claim the benefits I mentioned above anymore because those weren’t claimed on her behalf, they were claimed because me and my children are from the uk and I work etc. Not sure what this means, if anyone is able to shed some light I would appreciate it. Thank you.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Not sure about claiming funds

Post by JB007 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Yasar wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:30 pm
Hi

My wife’s visa always has a no recourse to public funds but I was always allowed to claim working tax credits, child tax credits and child benefit on my name. But on the most recent visa it says ‘ you are not entitled to receive public funds. In addition your sponsor is not entitled to claim or receive public funds on your behalf’.
Does this mean I’m not allowed to claim the benefits I mentioned above anymore because those weren’t claimed on her behalf, they were claimed because me and my children are from the uk and I work etc. Not sure what this means, if anyone is able to shed some light I would appreciate it. Thank you.
You would have be given the second adult element of WTC for your wife as she claimed this exttra benefit money through you as you have a child.

The replacement for 6 low income benefits, Universal Credit, has different rules (e.g. no extra money for somebody with no recourse to public funds) and requirements (e.g. both parents to work to keep their children, minimum they must earn each week etc).

Child Benefit is not part of Universal Credit. This should be claimed in your name as you are allowed to have benefits. Your wife's details will be required on the claim, but the claim must be in your name.

Yasar
Newly Registered

Post by Yasar » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, my wife does not work and the working tax credit was made on my behalf. Along with the other benefits aforementioned. Should I stop these benefits because of what was written in their letter ‘you are not entitled to receive public funds. In addition your sponsor is not entitled to claim or receive public funds on your behalf’. That’s is what I am not sure about. Because I was under the impression these benefits were made in my behalf because of the fact I work and my wife doesn’t. Would appreciate if you could clear this up for me. Thank you.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:02 pm

The Child Benefit should be in your name and then she is not claiming public funds.

As said, the extra Working Tax Credit benefit money you are claiming for you wife (Second Adult Element) is allowed on that benefit, as you have a child. That is not classed as Public Funds.

The WTC benefit and Child Tax Credit benefit, are two of the 6 low income benefits being replaced by Universal Credit. As said, when you are moved onto the Universal Credit benefit from the Tax Credit benefits, or you do something that moves you onto Universal Credit, there will be no more claiming extra benefit money for you wife, as you have been allowed to do through the second adult element of Working Tax Credit. Claiming Public funds through a partner, is ending with the Universal Credit replacement benefit.

Yasar
Newly Registered

Post by Yasar » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks for the reply appreciate it.